Hi,

I purchased a Blackberry Key2 red 128GB through Amazon Australia, over a year ago. I'm concerned that the phone hasn't received any updates. Latest security patch is 5 Oct 2019.

I've gone through the 'Check for Updates ' ritual but all I get is a message telling me I have the latest updates. ACE748. Here we are now in late December 2020.

Looks like there's a heap of system updates and security patches that have been issued but they seem to be invisible to my phone.

Is there a way to configure my Key2 to recognise when updates are available or to get it to update to the appropriate update?

Andrew
    12-18-20 09:20 PM
    Hi,

I purchased a Blackberry Key2 red 128GB through Amazon Australia, over a year ago. I'm concerned that the phone hasn't received any updates. Latest security patch is 5 Oct 2019.

I've gone through the 'Check for Updates ' ritual but all I get is a message telling me I have the latest updates. ACE748. Here we are now in late December 2020.

Looks like there's a heap of system updates and security patches that have been issued but they seem to be invisible to my phone.

Is there a way to configure my Key2 to recognise when updates are available or to get it to update to the appropriate update?

Andrew
    What is your specific PRD#?
    You can dial *#837837# to find it.
    12-18-20 11:10 PM
    Hi,

Andrew
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1381535354

Except for a few North American variants, patches stopped Spring of 2020.
    12-18-20 11:12 PM
    Thank you Ben xfg and Thank you conite for your help.

The PRD is 63828-044 (South Pacific) and the patch release chart shows there have been no further updates or patches since Oct 2019 for our region : latest is ACE748 as per my Key2. So looks like I'm not missing security patches at all ; Blackberry just haven't bothered to compile and release any for Australia / South Pacific despite doing so for other regions using ACE748.

Am I missing something or is this as rubbish as it seems?

I am a long-time (though not as long as some I'm sure) Blackberry user who loves the product. However my faith in its security is now diminished as it seems that I can't actually rely on Blackberry to keep to their end of the deal....
    12-19-20 01:14 AM
    Thank you Ben xfg and Thank you conite for your help.

The PRD is 63828-044 (South Pacific) and the patch release chart shows there have been no further updates or patches since Oct 2019 for our region : latest is ACE748 as per my Key2. So looks like I'm not missing security patches at all ; Blackberry just haven't bothered to compile and release any for Australia / South Pacific despite doing so for other regions using ACE748.

Am I missing something or is this as rubbish as it seems?

I am a long-time (though not as long as some I'm sure) Blackberry user who loves the product. However my faith in its security is now diminished as it seems that I can't actually rely on Blackberry to keep to their end of the deal....
    First, BlackBerry has nothing to do with it. The KEY series comes from TCL.

Second, TCL has subsequently dropped the BlackBerry brand-name it licensed, and they are no longer being sold.

If you don't use Google Pay (not Play), you can manually update to the Nov 2020 patch:

/blackberry-key2-f472/key2-act563-autoloader-nov-2020-patch-1188545/
    Last edited by conite; 12-19-20 at 09:50 AM.
    12-19-20 09:31 AM
    Oh, my bad. Sorry. I'd incorrectly believed that BlackBerry provided the updates and security patches. Did BlackBerry still write the updates/patches and then pass responsibility for their distribution, to TCL?
    12-19-20 04:49 PM
    Oh, my bad. Sorry. I'd incorrectly believed that BlackBerry provided the updates and security patches. Did BlackBerry still write the updates/patches and then pass responsibility for their distribution, to TCL?
    BlackBerry contributes its sauce when paid by TCL to do so. BlackBerry also signs the final package. But the OS is TCL's to distribute.
    12-19-20 05:56 PM
    Ok conite, thank you for clarifying this process for me. Cheers
    12-19-20 06:45 PM