Main issue: Messenger apps and Phone app have hundred of contacts I don't know

So I just got this and it's been a pretty frustrating experience setting it up. I just want to keep things simple and it wants to sync every possible thing from every possible account. I have spent a couple hours now turning it all off (of course these settings are not in one place and I have to look in every nook and cranny..), and it's mostly good, except..

For some reason messenger apps have added all these people that are not in my contacts. I turned off syncing Contacts to all my accounts (Gmail etc) and only want to use my local contacts. This seems to be working fine and I just have a few people on there now. But in messenger apps and the Phone app it shows so many people.

HOWEVER, for messenger apps, I gave them access to my Contacts but somehow it added all these other people. I don't even know how. My Contacts in the phone literally has like 10 people right now. But WhatsApp and the "Phone" shows 400+ contacts, Signal added a whole bunch. A lot of them are from my Gmail accounts (99% of which I haven't talked to in years), some of them I honestly have no idea how they got there. I legitimately don't know who a lot of them are, have not heard of them at all and don't recall ever interacting with them (including via email).

Are they not supposed to just get the ones I have from the Contacts app on my phone? I've been trying to figure it out but I don't even know where it's getting them from at this point.

Thanks so much for reading, any help is greatly appreciated.

(Also a couple other things if you know off the top of your head)

How do I make it stop asking me if I want to add it as a local contact or add another account every single time I add a new person? I only want to use local as the default, I don't want to add other accounts and it's annoying to have to click "Local" every time.
    Why does it not ask me what to sync when I set up the account? Instead it syncs everything by default, then I have to go in and disable it... I think this is how the contacts got into WhatsApp and Signal, but I still don't understand why they are still there as I turned it off and only have local ones in my Contacts app.
    If anyone here uses the "Hub" app in Android -- how do I make it group messages? Like if I exchange a few messages with "Anna" on WhatsApp, my screen is filled with them ad every message is on a separate line. In BB10 I would just see the latest message, and when I click on it it would show the convo. I don't get why anybody would want to have a separate entry for each message as by the end of the day I'll have hundreds to scroll through, as opposed to just 10-15 entries for the people I conversed back and forth with.
    06-03-17 03:19 PM
    It'll take some time but BBOS is way better and simpler to use. I feel lost at times but will probably get used to it in a week or so (I hope) lol

Good luck. There's definitely nothing simple about this OS
    06-04-17 12:22 AM
    Open your contacts app and click the menu icon on the top left. You can then filter by "account" and you will know which account is adding these unknown contacts.

Post an update once you do and maybe someone will have a solution for you.
    06-04-17 02:17 AM
    OP unfortunately there isn't an option to group emails by sender. There's only an option to group by subject.

I don't understand why BlackBerry left out group by sender.
    06-04-17 06:50 AM