Android Pie update for key 2
    11-20-19 07:59 AM
    Android Pie update for key 2
    Probably never.
    11-20-19 08:16 AM
    If you have a Optiemus KEY2... I'd say you have a .000000001% chance of seeing PIE.

If it is a TCL KEY2.... your chances do improve. Maybe a 1% right now.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    11-20-19 08:48 AM
    Probably never.
    Man, how perceptions have changed since a few months ago
    falbo likes this.
    11-20-19 09:35 AM
    Man, how perceptions have changed since a few months ago
    For sure. They lost the benefit of the doubt when the end of summer came and went.
    11-20-19 09:46 AM
    I have Optiemus Key-2 and I expect only monthly security patches.... even that seems to be not possible. What a ******* kind of contract !!!
    Optimus should criticized globally.
    11-20-19 09:48 AM
    For sure. They lost the benefit of the doubt when the end of summer came and went.
    I hear a Don Henley song playing in the background as you posted ;-D
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-20-19 09:49 AM
    Still hoping for a KEY3 though.

One that would launch with Android 10 and be priced at $799.
    11-20-19 09:52 AM
    I am wondering if the update to PIE was at all developed. It could be that also TCL said..."we do not want/cannot/ do not accept to pay it" and BlackBerry accepted this decision by saving money for development and staff....

Just speculation.....
    11-20-19 09:54 AM
    I have Optiemus Key-2 and I expect only monthly security patches.... even that seems to be not possible. What a ******* kind of contract !!!
    Optimus should criticized globally.
    Agree it's a bad situation... but not an unexpected one.
    11-20-19 09:57 AM
    I hear a Don Henley song playing in the background as you posted ;-D
    Thats funny, was listening to hotel California when I read this. (I know that's not the song you mean ) ;-)
    11-21-19 12:28 AM
    Thats funny, was listening to hotel California when I read this. (I know that's not the song you mean ) ;-)
    too late for the Boys of Summer, now we're getting to the Heart of the Matter.
    falbo and ppeters914 like this.
    11-21-19 01:34 AM
    too late for the Boys of Summer, now we're getting to the Heart of the Matter.
    Take it easy, I guess it's just been one of those nights. No point living life in the fast lane. ;-)
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-21-19 04:51 AM
    Is there anyway to reinstall oreo as autoloader doesn't work with me due to USB port issue with phone?

>>Life is good with Blackberry Classic!
    11-21-19 05:41 AM
    Take it easy, I guess it's just been one of those nights. No point living life in the fast lane. ;-)
    Let's not get too down on the situation, because... In a New York Minute, everything can change.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-21-19 06:27 AM
    Is there anyway to reinstall oreo as autoloader doesn't work with me due to USB port issue with phone?

>>Life is good with Blackberry Classic!
    Nothing you can do without a PC - apart from a factory reset.
    11-21-19 06:31 AM
    There is no sign of any BB PIE builds, testing or preparation for a release of PIE.
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-21-19 at 08:56 AM.
    11-21-19 07:11 AM

There is no sign of any BB PIE builds, testing or preparation for a release of PIE.
    I am wondering if they ever did start to develop the PIE update in BlackBerry Limited.... Dtek users still remember how BlackBerry behaved....
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-21-19 at 08:56 AM.
    11-21-19 07:44 AM
    I suppose if you've just landed here it's a sensible question. However, arguing that Blackberry are going to revive BB10 and handsets and there's going to be a Key2 Pie update or we'll get a Key3 are turning into silly, boring waste of time threads.
    The sad thing is that there's nothing new or even rumoured to talk about. Sad, but who can blame us? And then I'm warned about talking about news from Blackberry Mobile posted on Social Media as if the company were a viable business.

It's all getting a bit pointless.
    Sad.
    11-21-19 08:13 AM
    I am wondering if they ever did start to develop the PIE update in BlackBerry Limited.... Dtek users still remember how BlackBerry behaved....
    I've heard some stories here that it's done and waiting on payment - or BBMo getting current on their contract. But I think if BlackBerry had finished it and there we dozens of BlackBerry internal beta testers running around with KEY2's with PIE on them, we'd have seen or heard about it.

February 28, 2019... BlackBerry announced end of the four device apps for Android. I suspect as part of that they disassembled their Android development team to the minimum necessary for only the UEM supported products. That the device business was over at that point, and soon after both the head guys running it also left BlackBerry.

Total speculation, but I think both TCL and BlackBerry have known for a long time that PIE was not coming....
    11-21-19 08:21 AM
    I've heard some stories here that it's done and waiting on payment - or BBMo getting current on their contract. But I think if BlackBerry had finished it and there we dozens of BlackBerry internal beta testers running around with KEY2's with PIE on them, we'd have seen or heard about it.

February 28, 2019... BlackBerry announced end of the four device apps for Android. I suspect as part of that they disassembled their Android development team to the minimum necessary for only the UEM supported products. That the device business was over at that point, and soon after both the head guys running it also left BlackBerry.

Total speculation, but I think both TCL and BlackBerry have known for a long time that PIE was not coming....
    At this point, if they are gonna release Pie, they should also start shipping out new LCD panels that don't have the capacitive nav keys.

Aside from not having the horrendous red status bar when in battery saving mode and a few cool notification tweaks, I'm not sure how Pie could enhance the experience on the KEY2, since gesture navigation would be out of the question.

Might as well just release a solid KEY3 with Android 10 out of the box for $799, get whatever they can out of the remaining contract period before closing up shop...permanently.
    11-21-19 08:36 AM
    At this point, if they are gonna release Pie, they should also start shipping out new LCD panels that don't have the capacitive nav keys.

Aside from not having the horrendous red status bar when in battery saving mode and a few cool notification tweaks, I'm not sure how Pie could enhance the experience on the KEY2, since gesture navigation would be out of the question.

Might as well just release a solid KEY3 with Android 10 out of the box for $799, get whatever they can out of the remaining contract period before closing up shop...permanently.
    The problem is that it's highly unlikely to be able to move forward without paying BlackBerry for Pie update for the Key2 since that's what also goes in the Key3 initially. BlackBerry wants to be paid for everything since it built a licensing agreement to pay minimum revenue levels considered worthwhile if this were to be successful. BlackBerry isn't willing to support Titan level of company strategy.
    11-21-19 08:41 AM

It might be cheaper to just do nothing.... and pay whatever penalties BlackBerry might enforce.
    11-21-19 08:54 AM
    The problem is that it's highly unlikely to be able to move forward without paying BlackBerry for Pie update for the Key2 since that's what also goes in the Key3 initially. BlackBerry wants to be paid for everything since it built a licensing agreement to pay minimum revenue levels considered worthwhile if this were to be successful. BlackBerry isn't willing to support Titan level of company strategy.
    That's assuming BB ltd did complete the Pie update. If they didn't, then they could expect to be paid only on the time/resources that were actually devoted to the Pie update
    elfabio80 likes this.
    11-21-19 09:00 AM
    I'm not sure how Pie could enhance the experience on the KEY2
    Users want Pie primarily because it helps to future-proof the device. Especially since it appears that the K2 will be the last BlackBerry handset ...
    11-21-19 11:02 AM
66 123