I'm using Cellcom in Israel.
    01-27-15 01:16 PM
    Complete nonsense.

Also if there was an issue you'd think they would report it on Israel's BlackBerry Blog, berryil.com

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 02:47 PM
    I'm using Cellcom in Israel.
    And you said you contacted Cellcom and their response was that BlackBerry told them to cancel services today ?

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-27-15 05:07 PM
    I think blackberry might do this, as they did it before when they left palybook to die and introduced BBM to iphone and android.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 10:29 PM
    I have a brother in law in Israel using a T-Mobile branded Z10. Just got messages earlier today from him on BBM. He didn't mention any shutdown.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154 /T-Mobile USA
    01-27-15 10:56 PM
    I think blackberry might do this, as they did it before when they left palybook to die and introduced BBM to iphone and android.

Posted via CB10
    These have nothing to do to each other.

And the PlayBook was totally different it's not Mobile Phone. It's a tablet.

And they didn't cancel services for the PlayBook, they stopped supporting it meaning no more updates.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-28-15 12:38 AM
    Raino, could this problem in Israel be related to the problem that affected Blackberry operations in Bangladesh? Regulator directs GP, Airtel to discontinue BlackBerry services

Telecoms were ordered to take BBOS devices out of service since their communications couldn't be monitored.
    Thanks. So basically, BlackBerry declined to put an interception server in and so they don't want phones that can't be intercepted to be used. I'm guessing they were probably in talks for lawful interception but probably got stink from talks that it likely wasn't for lawful use only. Just my guess.
    01-28-15 12:38 AM
    Complete nonsense.

Also if there was an issue you'd think they would report it on Israel's BlackBerry Blog, berryil.com

Posted via CB10
    Did you even read the article posted 3 posts above you? No service was shut down, some pushback first.

“We are aware of BTRC's direction to close down BlackBerry services and requested for two weeks time to come up with an alternative solution for the affected customers,” Grameenphone said in a statement.
    Edit: Complete epic fail on my part. Totally misread article and posts above. Disregard above.
    Last edited by BCITMike; 01-28-15 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Found out I was wrong
    01-28-15 12:39 AM
    Did you even read the article posted 3 posts above you? No service was shut down, some pushback first.
    Hi Mike, I think you might have got mixed up. The article was about BB in Bangladesh. The member who posted article was wondering if the same scenario could be at play in Israel. They didn't have any info on any Israel situation with BBRY.

(... Unless I've misunderstood!)
    01-28-15 01:43 AM
    Hi Mike, I think you might have got mixed up. The article was about BB in Bangladesh. The member who posted article was wondering if the same scenario could be at play in Israel. They didn't have any info on any Israel situation with BBRY.

(... Unless I've misunderstood!)
    Shoot, *I* misunderstood. I'm concerned about my reading comprehension now. Doh.

Thanks for pointing that out.
    Elite1 likes this.
    01-28-15 02:09 AM
    Problem solved !

It seems that BB is about to stop internet service for only old devices such as 9700
    This morning a manger from Cellcom have reactivated the internet services, so all is well for now.
    He said that soon BB will probably end the internet service in Israel for old devices.
    Z10, Classic will have no problem in the future.

One more thing: he also said that 3 years ago there were about 250,000 BB users.
    Today only 1500 left.

Thank you guys for the help and support
    01-28-15 02:23 AM
    Problem solved !

It seems that BB is about to stop internet service for only old devices such as 9700
    This morning a manger from Cellcom have reactivated the internet services, so all is well for now.
    He said that soon BB will probably end the internet service in Israel for old devices.
    Z10, Classic will have no problem in the future.

One more thing: he also said that 3 years ago there were about 250,000 BB users.
    Today only 1500 left.

Thank you guys for the help and support
    Okay great.

3 years ago there were 250,000 BB7 users and now 1500 BB7.

He's got no clue about BB10 users though.

My Carrier doesn't know what device I have, I just took my unlocked device and out in a SIM card.
    How would they know what device I'm on.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-28-15 02:28 AM
    You got a point there
    01-28-15 02:30 AM
    Okay great.

3 years ago there were 250,000 BB7 users and now 1500 BB7.

He's got no clue about BB10 users though.

My Carrier doesn't know what device I have, I just took my unlocked device and out in a SIM card.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    3 years ago it was much less common to buy devices outright factory unlocked and use them with a SIM from a carrier than it is now.

Also if someone in Israel wants a BlackBerry 10 device they NEED to buy it factory unlocked or some other way because I don't think any carriers have the devices.

Pelephone (which is Pardner) and Orange both USED to carry the Z10 and I think they stopped after that no carrier has new BB10 devices so the only way to use a BlackBerry 10 device in Israel would be to get it straight from BlackBerry or from another 3rd party and pop in a standard SIM card.

They can't measure how many BB10 devices there are because none of the carriers sell them.

For all they know I could be on an android or iPhone.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-28-15 02:38 AM

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    I register all my own phones as it appears you do and my carrier account reflects all phone firmware data, including make and model immediately on activation so I believe the phone sim reports that information back to the carrier once it's active.
    Assuming that's correct the carrier is then able to mine the data and determine an exact breakdown of what phone types they actively support down to the minute, if they can pull data that fast.
    01-28-15 07:41 AM
    Carriers know which phone you have based on the IMEI. The first couple digits identify who the phone manufacturer is.
    There is a few threads of T-Mobile being a carrier that maintains a list of every phone you connect to their service.
    01-28-15 09:03 AM
    interesting
    01-28-15 09:21 AM
    Carriers know which phone you have based on the IMEI. The first couple digits identify who the phone manufacturer is.
    There is a few threads of T-Mobile being a carrier that maintains a list of every phone you connect to their service.
    My point is they don't have my IMEI on record.

It's a factory unlocked phone.

With a generic Micro SIM that could be used in a BlackBerry, Android or iPhone.

You can swap back and forth and they would not know the difference.

They know my usage and all but I don't think they have any clue what device I'm using.

Whenever I call they ask me what device I'm using because they seem to have no clue whatsoever. And then when I tell them they don't know what it is because it's not existent on their network.
    They don't support any BB10 devices.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-28-15 10:04 AM
    Your IMEI must be communicated to the network, otherwise how would IMEI blocking of stolen phones work?

Passport or Z10, whichever is nearest
    01-28-15 10:09 AM
    Your IMEI must be communicated to the network, otherwise how would IMEI blocking of stolen phones work?

Not every country supports IMEI blocking and yes, while the IMEI is most certainly communicated, that doesn't necc. mean it's entirely recognized. Example: Remember when the Passport came out and AT&T customers couldn't get LTE? It was because the IMEI wasn't recognized in the system and in such cases comes up as 'Unknown Device'.
    raino likes this.
    01-28-15 10:57 AM
    Seems to me that's where stolen phones will go then and bet anything bigtime ph one thieves will know which countries

01-28-15 11:01 AM
    Not every country supports IMEI blocking and yes, while the IMEI is most certainly communicated, that doesn't necc. mean it's entirely recognized. Example: Remember when the Passport came out and AT&T customers couldn't get LTE? It was because the IMEI wasn't recognized in the system and in such cases comes up as 'Unknown Device'.
    Exactly what Blaze said just because they know my IMEI it comes up as Unknown.
    Especially when you bring your own device.

My Carrier in Israel doesn't even have stores.

You order a SIM online and they ship it to you

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-28-15 11:07 AM
    Seems to me that's where stolen phones will go then and bet anything bigtime ph one thieves will know which countries

I'm pretty sure stolen phones (a device with a bad ESPN or IMEI) can be used on ANY network that isn't the one it was on when stolen.

For example if someone steals your AT&T device and it's already unlocked they can go to T-Mobile with no issues. But they can't use it on AT&T.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-28-15 11:09 AM
    I'm pretty sure stolen phones (a device with a bad ESPN or IMEI) can be used on ANY network that isn't the one it was on when stolen.

For example if someone steals your AT&T device and it's already unlocked they can go to T-Mobile with no issues. But they can't use it on AT&T.
    That's no longer true at least for the US. Carriers share their list of blacklisted phones, at least those that were stolen, so the phones would be blocked on all participating carriers (which includes at least the Big Four.)
    01-28-15 11:33 AM

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    In GSM (which uses a SIM card), the carrier knows the IMEI of the device (hardware) as it operates in their cellular network, so they know whether it's a device that has gone through their carrier testing. They can determine it for their own customers (using their SIM card) and for roaming customers. It is also used to identify cellphones that have been stolen and reported, and then placed on a 'blacklist' so they will not be given service.

IMEI = International Mobile Equipment Identity (which identifies the specific cellphone, as well as the make and model).
    CDMA networks call it an MEID.

To find out your device's IMEI, dial *#06# (as if you're calling that "number"); the IMEI will immediately be displayed.

Some phones will also provide other means to view the IMEI / MEID.
    01-28-15 12:05 PM
124 1234 ...