After seven years on iPhone, I miss my BlackBerry. As an experiment, I want to buy a BlackBerry Classic this week and use it as a second phone for the rest of the year to see if it is still a viable daily driver.

I live in Los Angeles, and my current carrier, Verizon, is getting rid of CDMA at the end of 2019, which means they likely won't activate a Classic.

So:
    Which US carrier should I use?
    Where is the best place to buy a "new" Classic?
    What else do I need to consider?
    07-27-19 07:57 PM
    After seven years on iPhone, I miss my BlackBerry. As an experiment, I want to buy a BlackBerry Classic this week and use it as a second phone for the rest of the year to see if it is still a viable daily driver.

I live in Los Angeles, and my current carrier, Verizon, is getting rid of CDMA at the end of 2019, which means they likely won't activate a Classic.

So:
    Carrier: anything but Verizon or Sprint.

Where: eBay.

Anything else: depends on you.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-28-19 12:11 AM
    Coming from an iPhone, I doubt you'll find yourself wanting to use the Classic as a daily driver unless all you need is calls/sms/e-mail and the occasional app.
    07-28-19 01:28 AM
    Going into this just realize that you will encounter problems IF you are expecting major social media apps/banking apps and other popular apps to install/run properly. It is a mixed bag when it comes to running apps and you have to be prepared to accept limitations. This is the most important piece of advice I can give you.
    07-28-19 08:43 AM
    Going into this just realize that you will encounter problems IF you are expecting major social media apps/banking apps and other popular apps to install/run properly. It is a mixed bag when it comes to running apps and you have to be prepared to accept limitations. This is the most important piece of advice I can give you.
    Yes, the Classic and other BB10 devices are not full-on smartphones, but they can do quite a bit more than feature phones.

They're in an awkward in-between spot...
    07-28-19 09:27 AM
    You’re going to change carriers to buy an old, outdated phone?
    Without good service it doesn’t matter what phone you have. I would be very careful with wasting your time unless I did a thorough evaluation of coverage exactly where you live. None of us live next door to you so we are of no help. Ask around your neighborhood or people you work with.
    Good luck!
    07-28-19 11:06 AM
    Well, I live in So. Cal and use a Z30 as an occasional, second phone. (Motion is my main phone). I'm on T-Mo and still get wifi-calling, but as mentioned by others, the BB10s are now basic communication devices, though some of my apps -- like Science Daily -- still work. (Room Tunes still works on Sonos FWIW) Simple Browser works well. T-Mo has always been BBerry friendly, in the past.
    07-29-19 08:58 AM

So:
    You would be better off with a Passport GSM
    07-29-19 02:31 PM
    Tunein works (until app world closes, then you CANNOT get it back), though, you would be better off getting the GSM variant of the classic to be in line with verizon discontinuing CDMA services. At least you'll be able to throw in a VERIZON sim and still use the device for e-mail, sms, voice calls and forget apps, the web browser for just about everything.

Typed on my blackberry classic with 10.3.3-latest on freedom mobile HSPA+
    07-30-19 12:09 AM
    I'm using a Classic on Verizon - had a Q10 before that. Where I live, Verizon has the strongest and most reliable signal, so I will stick with them for now. If they stop supporting my Classic, I'd probably get a KeyTwo LE, which VZW will activate without having to sacrifice your first-born in an attempt to convince them.

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    the_boon likes this.
    07-30-19 06:45 AM