I only recently received a text, from giffgaff, and that was the first I've heard about my BlackBerry no longer being usable after Jan 4th, and had no notifications before Saturday's. I have never used it for going online as signals are too weak in my area out in the sticks, but rely on my phone entirely for texts and some calls (I am severely ill with a long term physical illness and can barely speak and conduct all contact with friend and carer by text! and use a laptop for food orders and online things). I find the BlackBerry the only device suitable for my physical impairments and this notice has come out of the blue for me and is a big worry. Hoping that for calls and texts there isn't a problem? Giffgaff said in text those too will be affected, but on a giffgaff thread someone has said BlackBerry Curves should still be working, so it is confusing, can anyone advise? As i say, i only need to text and make some calls. Many thanks.
    11-26-21 07:15 AM
    Even if it does work, it's at your own risk and could cease to function at ANY TIME:

"At the time of termination of services, devices running BlackBerry 7.1 OS and earlier software, BlackBerry 10 software, and BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 and earlier software through either carrier or Wi-Fi connections will no longer reliably function. These devices will lack the ability to receive over the air provisioning updates and as such, this functionality will no longer be expected to reliably function, including for data, phone calls, SMS and 9-1-1 functionality.​​​​ Applications (BlackBerry Link, BlackBerry Desktop Manager, and BlackBerry Blend) will also have limited functionality."
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-26-21 04:34 PM
    Depends on where do you live. If you still have 2g/3g network you should be ok.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-21 04:49 PM
    Depends on where do you live. If you still have 2g/3g network you should be ok.

Posted via CB10
    BBOS depends on BIS - which BlackBerry is shutting down in Jan.

I really don't know how phone and sms will be affected, as BlackBerry has warned of provisioning issues.
    Last edited by conite; 11-26-21 at 06:14 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-26-21 05:17 PM