i'm a short-time but avid bb fan. i like my phone (classic) but more importantly, i need a physical keyboard.
    02-11-20 11:58 AM
    The classic has been out of the loop for updates for years now, so if you were to upgrade to a KEY2 now (as I just did recently) I expect you will be happy for at least 2 years.
    02-11-20 12:16 PM
    The classic has been out of the loop for updates for years now, so if you were to upgrade to a KEY2 now (as I just did recently) I expect you will be happy for at least 2 years.

OREO will be supported by most major apps for years to come, so no problem there.

But security is something else... already some companies are not supporting Oreo. There are moves in IT to also block devices not on a recent patch level..

For a personal device... a lot will depend on what vulnerabilities are found over the next two years and how you use your phone. You will have to weigh the risk, once you have all the data.... which we won't have that, until we know what vulnerabilities have not been patched.

Use of a Firewall to control your outgoing data and a VPN might allow you to use you phone longer... with some degree of safety.

But you won't be alone... about 80% of all Android devices in operation today aren't updated or patched.
    02-11-20 02:55 PM
    For the most part, you'll be fine.

Go for a KEY2 or KEY2 LE
    02-13-20 11:54 AM
    For the most part, you'll be fine.

Go for a KEY2 or KEY2 LE
    It is interesting that you just casually suggest to go for a Key 2 or Key 2LE.

Your suggestion disqualifies most cellular users in the world. Most users use their phones until it dies, they can't just go for a newer model.
    02-13-20 10:08 PM

Your suggestion disqualifies most cellular users in the world. Most users use their phones until it dies, they can't just go for a newer model.
    He was looking for advice on a new keyboard phone to replace his Classic.

I gave him my personal recommendation.
    02-13-20 10:18 PM

The OP mentioned 2022... clearly he was talking about the only two phones currently being supported till then.

But in the end the software support is ending this year (if it hasn't already). 2022 is just the date you could get standard warranty support - in some markets.
    02-14-20 08:08 AM
    The OP mentioned 2022... clearly he was talking about the only two phones currently being supported till then.

But in the end the software support is ending this year (if it hasn't already). 2022 is just the date you could get standard warranty support - in some markets.
    Correct, we don't know the last day of software support. Some time between the last security patch and Augus of this year. My understanding is NA support/warranty ends next year and Europe support / warranty end in 2022. For the average user for all practical purposes I would consider August 2020 the last of real support.
    02-14-20 03:20 PM
    Correct, we don't know the last day of software support. Some time between the last security patch and Augus of this year. My understanding is NA support/warranty ends next year and Europe support / warranty end in 2022. For the average user for all practical purposes I would consider August 2020 the last of real support.
    Last real support might have been Dec 2019....
    02-14-20 03:24 PM