Hello,

I already saw some posts on similar issues but none that seemed to be the same as mine, Im new here so I hope this is not a double post or in a wrong forum... So heres my problem:
    I recently updated to 10.3.1 on my Z10 and ever since I have been missing contacts and numbers. I first noticed it in Whatsapp, there were some contacts that only showed a number as if they were unknown contacts.
    Some of them I looked up on "Contacts" and the names are still there but the numbers are missing.
    Then I went into Whatsapp to link the numbers with the existing contacts but it doesnt work, they wont link.

I tried restarting, hard reset, battery pull and waiting until putting it back but nothing seems to help. Same seems to be happening with my sisters Z10!

Anybody with same issue or even an explanation/ solution?
    02-24-15 03:51 AM
    I've lost all my LinkedIn contacts in the contacts app on my Q10 since the update, and can't for the life of me find a solution.
    02-24-15 05:27 AM
    I've lost all my LinkedIn contacts in the contacts app on my Q10 since the update, and can't for the life of me find a solution.
    Did you flip this on?
    I lost contacts / numbers since Update to 10.3.1 Z10, how can I get them back?-img_20150224_063120.png

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    02-24-15 05:31 AM
    Do you sync with anything? Have you looked to see if the apps have updates?
    02-24-15 05:32 AM
    I do not know whether we have the same problem or not.

I opened a contact in "Contacts" and tried to edit some details. I clicked on "Save" but instead the contact got deleted. To check whether this isolated I tried editing several contacts. Some contacts were deleted after saving and others were not.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 05:40 AM
    Did you flip this on?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150224_063120.png 
Views:	421 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	336484

Posted via CB10
    Yes thanks. The tabs are switched to "on" for all my accounts. Plus I've made sure the Permissions are OK.

I've even tried a factory-settings wipe and then reinstalled the app, but still nothing. It's weird, because LinkedIn messages are arriving in my Hub - it's just the contacts that have disappeared.

It's probably some kind of bug.
    02-24-15 05:40 AM
    I'm having the 'mysterious changes/deletions to contacts' issue too., coupled with contact details appearing twice. I cannot find a solution either. I have tried restarting, resetting the phone and merging / unmerging contacts automatically and also merging manually. It is very odd...some contacts have lost their phone details, and yet they still show up in the text messages list correctly...but opening the contact card from there gives the same phone numberless details.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 06:25 AM
    All contact sources are flipped on. I guess that somewhere on the road some of the contacts never have been synchronized with my several email-accounts that I linked to my z10.
    That would explain the lack of some contacts but suppose that there are sync-issues, which would be a bummer!!
    But that also wouldnt explain why I cant link the appearing numbers to existing contacts.
    Also it doesnt explain why I have the contacts in my list but the numbers got deleted out of the contact cards.

Some really weird things happening. It happened before but I think after a few days the contacts came back, not sure though. Anyways...I have updated like a week ago and still cant link the contacts to the numbers... Sucks if you ask me!!
    02-24-15 06:34 AM
    I just noticed that when I go into my emailaccounts (both on gmail) I look for the missing contacts and cant find them there as well!!
    Means they have never been synchronized, and that sucks because they should automatically sync

But why the heck cant I save the contacts now? I tried several times now with some contacts and they still wont link with Whatsapp.
    02-24-15 06:42 AM
    Are the numbers all formatted the same? (***) ***-****, **********, ***-***-****?

I had that issue and changed all numbers to the same format and haven't seen it since.
    02-24-15 06:53 AM
    No, my contacts arent all formatted the same way. But this has never been an issue.
    02-24-15 07:27 AM
    In Whatsapp the only thing that works now is to create a NEW contact for the number displayed. Means I will have double contact file for the same person because it just wont link with EXISTING contact even if I do it manually.
    02-24-15 07:33 AM
    I lost some phone contacts and pictures on my speed dial, but hey not as big a problem as you have
    02-24-15 09:22 AM
    Try to uninstall the app or sign out and sign in again.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 10:17 AM
    Are the numbers all formatted the same? (***) ***-****, **********, ***-***-****?

I had that issue and changed all numbers to the same format and haven't seen it since.
    I follow this as a best practice as well. Any numbers I store in my phone have no spaces, ex. '9991234567'. I haven't scientifically proven that it helps with anything, but it looks cleaner.

Edit: I will add, in an old BBOS thread from a while ago I remember someone posting this format as a best practice but can't remember why. This is where I got it from.
    02-24-15 11:06 AM
    In Whatsapp the only thing that works now is to create a NEW contact for the number displayed. Means I will have double contact file for the same person because it just wont link with EXISTING contact even if I do it manually.
    In the contacts app I don't believe you can link a contact to a Whatsapp contact. And vice-versa, I don't believe you can create a link inside Whatsapp to a contact in your address book. Whatsapp will automatically search your address book for the the phone number and will associate it to a contact if one with that # exists. If it doesn't exist It will ask if you want to add it into your phone contacts.

How were your phone contacts stored prior to these issues? Were they all locally on the phone? On your SIM card? In your email (ie Gmail.com) address book and synced to your phone?
    02-24-15 11:11 AM
    Hey LuvULongTime (long name you have there! :-D )
    thanks for replying. Well, I have my contacts synced with gmail and they should have been all stored, but I noticed some werent stored, no idea why! I created new contacts and checked immediately with gmail and they were updated. Strange...

And I dont get exactly what you mean. When someone writes you in whatsapp from a number you dont know, then theres the option to ADD TO CONTACTS (either create a new one or to an existing contact). All it does is search the contact and link the number to that contact, which as a result should mean that the number you just linked to an existing contact dissappears and instead the name will displayed.

This only works with "creating new contact". It DOES apply the number to the existing contact,when I do that but for whatever strange reason still in Whatsapp the number doesnt link with the contact. In other words:
    I add the number to the existing contact, but Whatsapp doesnt retrieve that information. I open it, see that the number IS THERE but Whatsapp cannot recognize it as a contact. Weird stuff.
    02-28-15 05:15 PM
    Hey LuvULongTime (long name you have there! :-D )
    thanks for replying. Well, I have my contacts synced with gmail and they should have been all stored, but I noticed some werent stored, no idea why! I created new contacts and checked immediately with gmail and they were updated. Strange...
    Your name is just as long as mine!

My best guess would be that not all of your contacts were stored in Gmail. You probably had a mix of Gmail, other email accounts, and local contacts. And the local ones are probably what you lost. The contacts app in BB10 is quite powerful, but there are definitely some best practices that need to be followed.

And I dont get exactly what you mean. When someone writes you in whatsapp from a number you dont know, then theres the option to ADD TO CONTACTS (either create a new one or to an existing contact). All it does is search the contact and link the number to that contact, which as a result should mean that the number you just linked to an existing contact dissappears and instead the name will displayed.
    Exactly. This is how it is supposed to work.

This only works with "creating new contact". It DOES apply the number to the existing contact,when I do that but for whatever strange reason still in Whatsapp the number doesnt link with the contact. In other words:
    I add the number to the existing contact, but Whatsapp doesnt retrieve that information. I open it, see that the number IS THERE but Whatsapp cannot recognize it as a contact. Weird stuff.
    That is very strange. Are the numbers appearing in whatsapp formatted the same way as they are in the contacts app? For example, if Joe Smith sends you a whatsapp message and his number shows as 1-123-987-4560, and in your contacts app you have the number saved as 11239874560. This shouldn't be an issue.

Another test would be to create a contact entry in your local phone database for one of these contacts. See if Whatsapp can then pick up the contact information. This will help you determine if it is an issue with whatsapp connecting to the Gmail contact entry specifically.
    02-28-15 11:55 PM
    Hey,
    true that, I forgot about my own user name
    Well, In whatsapp its like: +52 XXX XX XXX (something like that). Then I add this number to an existing contact, but it doesnt link. Then I go into CONTACTS and look for that contact and compare the format and its same in Whatsapp as it is in Contacts App, which means it DID add the number, but couldnt link it to whatsapp. Frustrating!
    03-01-15 05:50 PM
    Anyone figure out how to fix this? I have the same problem. Also, how do we get to the sync settings, that were shown as an snapshot earlier?

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 12:37 PM
    I do not know whether we have the same problem or not.

I opened a contact in "Contacts" and tried to edit some details. I clicked on "Save" but instead the contact got deleted. To check whether this isolated I tried editing several contacts. Some contacts were deleted after saving and others were not.

Posted via CB10
    Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem since the new 10.3.1 earlier this year. I have a contact Joe Smith with an email address. I edit it to enter a phone number and tap save. The name and email address (original data) disappear and only the newly entered data (phone number) remain. Looks like the contact has been deleted because the name is gone and it is now filed under the phone number.
    05-26-15 01:55 PM