I'm trying to decide if I'm going to need a new phone.
    01-10-18 03:26 PM
    Well, your more basic issue is with the monthly security updates no longer happening.

When you refer to upgrades ending with 6.0.1, you're referring to the Android OS version itself.
    Realistically, the OS would keep working for years - there are large numbers of Android devices out there with very old versions of Android and many of them are functioning quite well.
    In some cases a person might have to stay on an older version of an app because the latest version of that app relies on features that are in the latest version of Android (e.g., v7).

However, the greater vulnerability would lie with not having the on-going security updates - that means that your system is more vulnerable to whatever hacks are happening.

Me, I'm going to keep my PRIV until my contract is up - I'm not too worried about this vulnerability, but then I am very careful about not opening stupid emails, etc., and don't get too many viruses.
    01-10-18 04:34 PM
    Well, your more basic issue is with the monthly security updates no longer happening.

When you refer to upgrades ending with 6.0.1, you're referring to the Android OS version itself.
    Realistically, the OS would keep working for years - there are large numbers of Android devices out there with very old versions of Android and many of them are functioning quite well.
    In some cases a person might have to stay on an older version of an app because the latest version of that app relies on features that are in the latest version of Android (e.g., v7).

However, the greater vulnerability would lie with not having the on-going security updates - that means that your system is more vulnerable to whatever hacks are happening.

Me, I'm going to keep my PRIV until my contract is up - I'm not too worried about this vulnerability, but then I am very careful about not opening stupid emails, etc., and don't get too many viruses.
    Plus the majority of publicized vulnerabilities seldom cause mass hacking or data loss
    Rico4you likes this.
    01-10-18 04:51 PM
    You will be fine security-wise. If the speed, battery life, etc is an issue, maybe wait for new BlackBerries coming this year.
    01-13-18 11:47 AM