Hi, new BB Torch 9810 owner. Got brand new phone off Mercari, and left Verizon to join PureTalkUSA with new SIM card.
    Have not been able to send picture texts, only normal text. Attempted to follow advice various bits of advice in the options menu but nothing has seemed to work. My PureTalk allows for unlimites SMS and MMS. (I actually dont really know what each means as am not really a techhead like that).
    Any help is appreciated. Let me know what settings to change if something is defaulted wrong.
    08-15-20 12:43 PM
    Hi, new BB Torch 9810 owner. Got brand new phone off Mercari, and left Verizon to join PureTalkUSA with new SIM card.
    Have not been able to send picture texts, only normal text. Attempted to follow advice various bits of advice in the options menu but nothing has seemed to work. My PureTalk allows for unlimites SMS and MMS. (I actually dont really know what each means as am not really a techhead like that).
    Any help is appreciated. Let me know what settings to change if something is defaulted wrong.
    You really need a BIS plan so if not available, you’ll probably want to return for BB10 or BBAndroid instead.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-15-20 01:33 PM
    I'm sorry I don't really follow. I have this phone only and the BB internet service plan isn't available anymore from what I've heard. I just want to send picture texts and I was able to do that easily on my old Samsung Intensity and Intensity II phones which are far simpler and older, so not sure why BB makes this complicated (although i wouldn't be surprised if this was part of the reason they went under).
    08-15-20 04:57 PM
    I'm sorry I don't really follow. I have this phone only and the BB internet service plan isn't available anymore from what I've heard. I just want to send picture texts and I was able to do that easily on my old Samsung Intensity and Intensity II phones which are far simpler and older, so not sure why BB makes this complicated (although i wouldn't be surprised if this was part of the reason they went under).
    MMS uses data, so the only way to send those is via Wi-Fi or BIS.

BBOS phones are 2013 and prior, so you're talking about ancient hardware.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-15-20 07:13 PM
    MMS uses data, so the only way to send those is via Wi-Fi or BIS.

BBOS phones are 2013 and prior, so you're talking about ancient hardware.
    The plan also allows for unlimited SMS texting, so wouldnt that be the same as using the provider's service to transfer pics via text? It worked with my old phone on Verizon.
    08-15-20 09:59 PM
    The plan also allows for unlimited SMS texting, so wouldnt that be the same as using the provider's service to transfer pics via text? It worked with my old phone on Verizon.
    No because the old BBOS hardware used BlackBerry data instead of carrier data. It was a big advantage back then.

Text only messages are SMS and text with pictures or video are MMS and use data so for Torch you need a BIS plan. If you get BB10 or BBAndroid hardware then carrier plan is fine.

Before 4G and LTE, BIS data plans could do more for less data because it compressed everything. When 3G and 4G came out, BIS wasnt necessary the same way.

Unfortunately, you went back a little too old and far back in time. For time being AT&T supports BIS and may be possible if your device compatible
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-15-20 10:20 PM
    You can do unlimited SMS. But MMS is data.
    08-16-20 12:09 AM
    You can do unlimited SMS. But MMS is data.
    PureTalk's plan gives me 2GB of data a month with this plan, although I never planned on using the internet. At the very least I hoped to get internet using my home internet Wi-Fi, which it does connect to.
    08-16-20 02:30 PM
    No because the old BBOS hardware used BlackBerry data instead of carrier data. It was a big advantage back then.

Text only messages are SMS and text with pictures or video are MMS and use data so for Torch you need a BIS plan. If you get BB10 or BBAndroid hardware then carrier plan is fine.

Before 4G and LTE, BIS data plans could do more for less data because it compressed everything. When 3G and 4G came out, BIS wasnt necessary the same way.

Unfortunately, you went back a little too old and far back in time. For time being AT&T supports BIS and may be possible if your device compatible
    I got the phone because because it had a physical keyboard, which I wanted to still keep from my last phone. I knew it was old, and was lucky enough to find a brand new, unused one, but I had no idea I wouldn't be able to send picture texts.
    08-16-20 02:31 PM
    PureTalk's plan gives me 2GB of data a month with this plan, although I never planned on using the internet. At the very least I hoped to get internet using my home internet Wi-Fi, which it does connect to.
    Yes, but you need BIS to be able to use carrier data.
    08-16-20 04:11 PM
    I got the phone because because it had a physical keyboard, which I wanted to still keep from my last phone. I knew it was old, and was lucky enough to find a brand new, unused one, but I had no idea I wouldn't be able to send picture texts.
    The Q10, Classic and Passport are for BB10 usability and the PRIV, KEYone and Key2 or Key2 LE are for Android OS usability.

BB10 is close to over with if your plan won’t support 4GLTE on that specific device and the Android versions may only be supported on more expensive primary carrier plans.

MVNO plans like Puretalk will probably eliminate your all your remaining BlackBerry options within 6-18 months. It’s not for certain but it’s a possibility to consider when looking at remaining BlackBerry hardware prices.
    08-16-20 04:28 PM