I have a bad feeling about this but need confirmation.

18 months ago I bought the Q10 from ATT using their $26 a month fee plan for phone ownership and paid off the phone. For Christmas I received an unlocked Passport purchased via the BlackBerry store. I went to ATT to get a nano SIM (or is it a micro SIM? either way the smaller one) and they had to deactivate my Q10s SIM. I 'jailbroke" the Q10.

Is their anyway I can get the OS10.3 update for my phone with out reactivating the SIM or my Q10? I've tried to update via "settings" but to no avail. BB Link does not register a that an update for the phone is available.

My gut feels that because this is a carrier purchased phone that was "jaibroken", as opposed to purchased directly from the maker and unlocked, I cannot get the update for the Q10 without reactivating the SIM and getting it from ATT.

Just need a confirmation my suspicions are right.

Thanks.
    07-08-15 08:13 PM
    You can't "jailbreak" a blackberry. If you used an unlock code then it's completely unlocked. Either way that's immaterial. Just download whatever version of OS you want - I prefer the autoloaders and it WILL wipe the phone and then load it - takes 5 minutes.
    07-08-15 08:19 PM
    Thanks. I'm a bit of a techno *****. What is an autoloader?
    07-08-15 08:22 PM
    Not sure what you mean by jailbroke, but you should be able to get the update through wifi, without a Sim card.
    07-08-15 08:23 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1026452

Download the Q10 autoloader, then extract it. Plug in your phone and run the autoloader. Make sure you have BlackBerry Link installed, or at least the device manager. Your phone will be wiped and reset to factory settings.
    Peter Johnson4 likes this.
    07-08-15 08:38 PM
    Not sure what you mean by jailbroke, but you should be able to get the update through wifi, without a Sim card.
    Actually you can't if it was locked to a carrier - I've been testing that theory because I'm too lazy to download an autoloader. I just have it on my desk testing every now and then. Not one hint of an upgrade comes through.
    07-08-15 08:42 PM
    Actually you can't if it was locked to a carrier.
    Can't you though if the carrier has pushed out the update--which AT&T has? Not sure though if branding is enough to get the carrier update when there's no SIM in the phone. Never tried it.
    07-08-15 09:53 PM
    Just one data point: I have a Verizon Z10 I use just for messing around with leaks such and I usually leave it on and plugged in most of the time, connected to WiFi but without a sim. When Verizon pushed their update the other day, it updated as well. I've seen a couple other threads where others have had similar experiences. For example: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1027803

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by tdyhedge; 07-09-15 at 12:52 AM.
    07-09-15 12:38 AM
    Can't you though if the carrier has pushed out the update--which AT&T has? Not sure though if branding is enough to get the carrier update when there's no SIM in the phone. Never tried it.
    I have on T-Mo and you should get the OS update pushed based on PIN or IMEI if branded. The last T-mo update that came to my branded phone happened while the SIM was in another phone.

Besides, I think all of us on T-Mo remember when those unlocked Rogers phones, running T-mo SIMS, all got OTA updates, from Rogers. It's the PIN or IMEI in the carrier database that seems to control updates. That said, there do seem to be cases where the user just does not get an OTA update at all. Maybe they have been accidentally dropped from the database? And, in those cases, the SIM still doesn't help.
    raino likes this.
    07-09-15 01:40 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1026452

Download the Q10 autoloader, then extract it. Plug in your phone and run the autoloader. Make sure you have BlackBerry Link installed, or at least the device manager. Your phone will be wiped and reset to factory settings.
    Worked! Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 11:45 AM
    Worked! Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    You're welcome
    07-09-15 02:24 PM