I disabled software updates on my BB 10 Classic months ago. Yesterday I had occasion to restart the BB, to disconnect from a malfunctioning external bluetooth connection. So far so good.

Then today I discovered that the BB had downloaded an OS update which it appeared I was forced to install.

When I went to Settings->Options->Software Updates, I found the selector still to the left for OFF, but it had a blue highlight around it, as if it was indicating that it was "sort of off, maybe".

My question therefore is simple: WTF happened?

Thanks for any help.
    07-16-15 01:44 PM
    Do you have Verizon or AT&T? They seem to be forcing through the 10.3.2 update to their phones, regardless of what your setting is.
    07-16-15 01:46 PM
    Some carriers are force updating to the latest 10.3.2 versions to comply with emerging anti-theft regulations.
    Those carriers push the update as mandatory, meaning it bypasses local update settings.
    One way around it is to have not enough free space on the device memory for the update to download and unpack. This pauses the update download until free space is created.
    If you do not create the free space, it will stay paused indefinitely, you just get one "Free up some space..." notification per day or per reboot.

The new OS version works with the newest BlackBerry Protect, which among other features locks out anyone who wipes a device from being able to use it again, unless they log in with the BBID that was last used on the device or can unlink the device from BlackBerry Protect.
    With earlier OS versions, one could steal a BlackBerry, wipe it, and then use it for themselves under a new BBID.
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 07-17-15 at 06:25 AM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and sir mictol like this.
    07-16-15 01:50 PM
    Why are people so angry about os updates? Really incomprehensible...
    07-16-15 03:47 PM
    It's not updates they're angry about per se; it's that the update is being forced upon them.
    07-16-15 05:12 PM
    It's not updates they're angry about per se; it's that the update is being forced upon them.
    But if they had updated themselves... �\_(ツ)_/�

Via CB10 Runnin PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    07-16-15 05:57 PM
    But if they had updated themselves... �\_(ツ)_/�
    They may have chosen not to (like the OP, who set the option to off and thought it would be enough) but it didn't matter.
    07-16-15 06:07 PM
    I wish Vodafone Germany would push the update to my Z30. Forced or not.
    But they are always the last here in Germany.

Posted via my Z30 (10.3.1.2708)
    07-16-15 06:19 PM
    Plus, many of the updates renders the phone quirky for a few days until the update settles in.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 12:10 AM
    Exactly, you should never ever be forced to do something. You should have full control over what OS you want on your device, maybe you liked the boxes around the app icons... and now you have been forced to update and it's all gone. So from that angle I agree.

From a security point of view I understand why they are doing it. But they will at the end of the day should only be able to strong advice something. Never be allowed to do something without your permission.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    07-17-15 12:16 AM
    Like herd immunity, unless almost everyone has anti-theft operational on their devices, then it doesn't work for anyone. The idea is to make smartphone theft utterly pointless.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    rthonpm likes this.
    07-17-15 12:32 AM
    Exactly, you should never ever be forced to do something. You should have full control over what OS you want on your device, maybe you liked the boxes around the app icons... and now you have been forced to update and it's all gone. So from that angle I agree.

From a security point of view I understand why they are doing it. But they will at the end of the day should only be able to strong advice something. Never be allowed to do something without your permission.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    Yeah. Blah blah blah. Then you're the first one to complain when they don't release the update that everyone has had for months. Blah blah blah.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    07-17-15 04:44 PM