My administrator recently forced encryption on my Q10; both Device and Media Card. I subsequently took some pictures & videos, then moved them to my PC by connecting a USB cable and selecting Access SD Card - as I have always done in the past (did not use the BB Link software). I found I could not open the files on the PC - which I realized was because of the encryption. To attempt to recover from this, I moved the files back to the Q10 into the original Camera folder using the same method. Having done that, I found that the pictures/videos cannot be opened on the Q10 either. At this point is there any way to re-gain access to these pictures/videos? I am running Release 10.3.3.2137. Thanks for any assistance.
    06-22-19 11:29 AM
    06-23-19 09:50 AM
    My administrator recently forced encryption on my Q10; both Device and Media Card. I subsequently took some pictures & videos, then moved them to my PC by connecting a USB cable and selecting Access SD Card - as I have always done in the past (did not use the BB Link software). I found I could not open the files on the PC - which I realized was because of the encryption. To attempt to recover from this, I moved the files back to the Q10 into the original Camera folder using the same method. Having done that, I found that the pictures/videos cannot be opened on the Q10 either. At this point is there any way to re-gain access to these pictures/videos? I am running Release 10.3.3.2137. Thanks for any assistance.
    As a general note to anyone who may find this thread: NEVER EVER EVER move encrypted content off your Blackberry 10 device, whether it's in your internal memory or media card, unless you have decrypted it first. It is likely to be toast if you do.

The reason for this is that BB10 encryption does not just encrypt the files; it also encrypts the file system, which is how your device (or any other) knows how to get at particular content, which files are pictures, etc. Once the file system is encrypted if the files change location for any reason the decryption schema is broken and thus the Blackberry no longer can decrypt the files.
    06-26-19 09:32 PM