What is the lifetime of these cards? Do you typically get new cards when getting a new phone? I have had my Q10 since launch with Verizon. I hope to get the KEYone eventually. In this case, I know I will have to replace one for compatibility, but I could use the other one again. I was just curious what their lifespans typically are in devices.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-17 05:52 AM
    I'm still using my Verizon Q10 with its original SIM card. I replaced the SD card maybe 3 years ago, just to increase the space. So far, no issues with either. (fingers crossed!)

I'm waiting for Verizon to carry/support the KEYᴼᴺᴱ but I still plan to keep the Q10 as a backup, with contacts etc. intact.

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.3.2.2813
    07-19-17 07:55 AM
    Depending on whether you need more space I only ever upgraded memory cards when getting a new device! Good quality memory cards do not degrade and can last a while! Amazon has alot of no name brands sd cards be warned never buy them and get the name brand ones only!!!
    07-19-17 07:57 AM
    Depending on whether you need more space I only ever upgraded memory cards when getting a new device! Good quality memory cards do not degrade and can last a while! Amazon has alot of no name brands sd cards be warned never buy them and get the name brand ones only!!!
    Yeah, I only buy sandisk.

By the way, what is stored on the SIM that needs to be transferred?

Posted via CB10
    07-19-17 08:15 AM
    Yeah, I only buy sandisk.

By the way, what is stored on the SIM that needs to be transferred?

Posted via CB10
    I have a 32gb sandisk SD card that is 4 years old now in my Z10. The SIM card is just as old and came with the phone when I got it from AT&T.

Honestly, there is no real "wear and tear" for a SIM card. It's not like memory nodes are getting constantly turned on and off while being written to and re-written over. Even then, for an SD card used mostly for storage, the write cycles are still relatively low over a couple of years. The internal memory in the device gets more constant use.

As for what is stored on a SIM card? For most people, nothing. However, some are still in the habit of storing contact info on the SIM. It's limited (usually just a name and a number - nothing else), and a leftover from the feature-phone days.

Now, maybe that's been expanded in recent years where whole contact information can now be stored on a SIM, I don't know, but that wasn't always the case.

Joel
    07-19-17 08:34 AM