I have been getting messages that my device storage space is running out on my BlackBerry Classic. But I have plenty of space on my Micro SD card.

I used SpaceSniffer, a freeware Windows program, to see what was taking up space (by mounting the device's internal memory as a drive in Windows), and found that 1.3 GB is in my Google Maps cache!

I have four offline maps stored, which should total 52.1 MB of total space according to the Google Maps app on my Blackberry. So it seems that more than just those four maps are being cached, and given the cryptic filenames I see no way to tell what's what. Presumably I can delete the 1.3 GB worth of files in the cache directly, uninstall the app, reinstall, and re-download those four offline maps. But it seems like Google Maps is also passively caching regions that I view in passing and eventually the cache will fill up again. Not so bad.

But actually it's nice if it passively caches regions as well, and so it would be ideal if it could just store the cache on the external SD card. Is there any way to get an Android program like Google Maps to do so?
    02-21-16 05:35 AM
    If you have Marshmallow, you can use your SD card as internal storage as an adaptive sd and all your cache and apps can be saved on the card. There are instructions online. just google saving apps to sd card in marshmallow....
    02-21-16 06:50 AM
    If you have Marshmallow, you can use your SD card as internal storage as an adaptive sd and all your cache and apps can be saved on the card. There are instructions online. just google saving apps to sd card in marshmallow....
    The OP has a Blackberry Classic. Why would he have Android Marshmallow on a BB10 phone?
    02-21-16 07:35 AM
    I think it's unlikely that you'll be too successful in moving any of the Goggle apps to an SD card even in a pure Android environment. In Google's vision they are system apps and like them installed on the system partion of the device to streamline factory reset I would imagine. Also, when the phone is plugged into a pc/car and the SD card mounts as a USB mass storage device the app would not run. So Google Apps lack the permissions in the manifest file allowing you to accomplish this for reasons relating to performance, security, and that's the way they like it lol
    02-21-16 09:25 AM