Hi All,
    I am a Priv user. While I love the Priv, I have always had my eyes on the BlackBerry Passport. I sure want to buy one, but how many recommend to buy the Passport.
    I like my phones to be snappy and not slow down with time. With the launch of Priv and other smartphones, does the Passport lag or slow down as we head towards 2017.
    Pls share your positives and experiences that will help me on a Passport purchase.
    12-29-16 12:58 PM
    Lag or slowdown was never really an issue on the Passport. It's still worth buying as long as you know what you're getting. Don't expect anything beyond what it is now.
    anon(9169048) likes this.
    12-29-16 02:31 PM
    As a 2nd device I think the Passport would make a fine companion to your PRIV.

But I think it is a "rare" person that would find the Passport meets all their needs in today's smartphone landscape, as it's app compatibility is limited and growing more limited.

As for slowing down.... no. BB10 isn't growing or improving and neither are any of the apps... so the hardware isn't being outgrown like with other Operating Systems.

Only you can really determine if it would meet your needs....
    12-29-16 02:33 PM
    As the man above said. I've used all bb10 devices and had various android for years (still do), and the passport is still awesome to this day.
    I'm picking one up while the price is low
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-29-16 02:35 PM
    Have you had a bb10 phone previously? If you want a cool social toy, don't bother. If you want a grown up communication device that can dabble at the kids apps if helped along, then yes.
    12-29-16 02:40 PM
    If you use Android apps it lags. Even my $100 zte zmax pro will run circles around my Passport SE on most Android apps.

If you can get by with native apps or tolerate the Android lag its an amazing device and the form factor is a joy to use.
    12-29-16 02:41 PM
    Android apps may take a bit longer to open but when open are usually fine
    anon(9169048) likes this.
    12-29-16 03:00 PM
    If you use it as a workhorse the passport is still top of the bill. If you wanted as an app device, leave it. The only reason i moved to an iPhone was because i never made it to have my banking app working. Butt it's still the Phone i loved te most. My DTEK50 is a crap and i still don''t like the iOS but the iPhone does what he has to do. If once my banking apps work on my passport all the other phones i have getting back in their box

Posted via CB10
    12-29-16 03:59 PM
    Thank you all. I understand the app issues with the passport. I am OK to give up using my regular apps I use on my Priv.

But Whatsapp is a must for me and something I frequently use as it helps me to be in touch with family and friends back in my home country. And with Whatsapp announcing they ending all support to BlackBerry OS, it is a big negative for me to buy a Passport as much as I love to own one.
    12-29-16 04:19 PM
    Have you had a bb10 phone previously? If you want a cool social toy, don't bother. If you want a grown up communication device that can dabble at the kids apps if helped along, then yes.
    No. I have never owned a BB10 device. I am OK to not use all apps that I use with my Priv. Whatsapp is a must and I am not sure it will be supported from 2017.
    12-29-16 04:23 PM
    How many have used the Cobalt developed Play store for BB10?? The installation seem simple and straightforward. Will it help me with the Whatsapp app as it is basically a android app that would run in BB10?? Pls share any inputs you all might have.
    12-29-16 04:45 PM
    The Passport absolutely flew on BB10 and was a great device. The battery life was unbelievable. As others have said you need to realize the limitations.

I'm guessing there will be workarounds for WhatsApp is support does end in the form of android apps but you do need to realize that*with an aging android*runtime these apps aren't going to work forever.
    12-29-16 04:51 PM
    The Passport absolutely flew on BB10 and was a great device. The battery life was unbelievable. As others have said you need to realize the limitations.

I'm guessing there will be workarounds for WhatsApp is support does end in the form of android apps but you do need to realize that*with an aging android*runtime these apps aren't going to work forever.
    I understand. I also read that BlackBerry is working on an alternative for Whatsapp for its BB10 users. So let's see.
    12-29-16 05:39 PM
    I'm actually considering a second one. The headphone jack stopped working on mine and I worry, that after two+ years of use, it may die. So far it has been a great device. I'm my mind, perfect for me.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-16 07:12 PM
    I'm actually considering a second one. The headphone jack stopped working on mine and I worry, that after two+ years of use, it may die. So far it has been a great device. I'm my mind, perfect for me.

Posted via CB10
    Do BlackBerry support service of the Passport??
    12-29-16 08:56 PM
    I just put my Passport up for sale in the Marketplace. I switched to an iPhone a couple months ago in order to communicate better with my family, all of whom have iPhones. And, of course, all the apps that are available for iOS. Android phones have enough apps, to be sure, and I might have waited for the Mercury (with its pkbd) if I had had a firm release date for it. I've worked with the Priv and it wasn't a good substitute for the Passport, at least not for me. The pkbd is too small, for one thing, and I don't like a slider.

The big plus for the Passport is its productivity, if you use it for working with documents, spreadsheets, and the like. It's sort of like having a mini computer. The camera is OK, too, and the call quality is good. And then there is the Hub, which I miss. I found the Android apps to work reasonably well on the PP, using Cobalt's incredibly good workarounds, although I never did get Google Maps working the way it does on Android phones. Some people have, though. And as time goes on, one by one the Google Play Store Android apps will be updated and will stop working well or at all on the static BB Android Runtime 4.3. And no, I don't think the BB support will continue all that much longer, but who knows?

Also, your concern about WhatsApp working after June 30, 2017, is valid. It's not even clear that the Android version of WA will work on a BB after June. No one knows if a new app that will work with WA will be developed, but with WA's two-way encryption system, I sort of doubt it.

So, if you understand the limitations of the Passport but want the productivity, it's worth it. And the SE is esthetically and functionally pleasing. I like it so much that it has taken me all this time to put it up for sale even though I wasn't using it. But you may want to wait for the Mercury, which, if it is as it's predicted to be, will have the same productivity as the Passport but won't be obsolete in terms of the OS (both BB 10 and Android 4.3) or the apps.

That isn't exactly a sales pitch for my PP SE on the Marketplace. I'm not a salesman, and wouldn't want someone to buy it who didn't understand what he or she was buying.
    12-29-16 10:56 PM
    If you know what passport it then go for it and if its just the form factor that impresses you do your research before purchase

Red passport
    12-29-16 11:27 PM
    I just put my Passport up for sale in the Marketplace. I switched to an iPhone a couple months ago in order to communicate better with my family, all of whom have iPhones. And, of course, all the apps that are available for iOS. Android phones have enough apps, to be sure, and I might have waited for the Mercury (with its pkbd) if I had had a firm release date for it. I've worked with the Priv and it wasn't a good substitute for the Passport, at least not for me. The pkbd is too small, for one thing, and I don't like a slider.

The big plus for the Passport is its productivity, if you use it for working with documents, spreadsheets, and the like. It's sort of like having a mini computer. The camera is OK, too, and the call quality is good. And then there is the Hub, which I miss. I found the Android apps to work reasonably well on the PP, using Cobalt's incredibly good workarounds, although I never did get Google Maps working the way it does on Android phones. Some people have, though. And as time goes on, one by one the Google Play Store Android apps will be updated and will stop working well or at all on the static BB Android Runtime 4.3. And no, I don't think the BB support will continue all that much longer, but who knows?

Also, your concern about WhatsApp working after June 30, 2017, is valid. It's not even clear that the Android version of WA will work on a BB after June. No one knows if a new app that will work with WA will be developed, but with WA's two-way encryption system, I sort of doubt it.

So, if you understand the limitations of the Passport but want the productivity, it's worth it. And the SE is esthetically and functionally pleasing. I like it so much that it has taken me all this time to put it up for sale even though I wasn't using it. But you may want to wait for the Mercury, which, if it is as it's predicted to be, will have the same productivity as the Passport but won't be obsolete in terms of the OS (both BB 10 and Android 4.3) or the apps.

That isn't exactly a sales pitch for my PP SE on the Marketplace. I'm not a salesman, and wouldn't want someone to buy it who didn't understand what he or she was buying.
    Thanks for your detailed post. I think the Mercury is the more sensible choice than a Passport.
    12-30-16 05:33 AM
    Hi All,
    I am a Priv user. While I love the Priv, I have always had my eyes on the BlackBerry Passport. I sure want to buy one, but how many recommend to buy the Passport.
    I like my phones to be snappy and not slow down with time. With the launch of Priv and other smartphones, does the Passport lag or slow down as we head towards 2017.
    Pls share your positives and experiences that will help me on a Passport purchase.
    My Passport is still great (very nearly 2 years old now) and has no discernible 'lag' (every 6 months or so I do a soft reset and it seems to get a very little quicker).

For business productivity it is second to none, eg: multiple email accounts/calendars, 100's of emails everyday, contacts management (including LinkedIn), BES Integration (BlackBerry Balance too if this is pertinent to you too), speaker-phone (better than the ones in most of a client's meeting rooms!).

Downsides: very worried about access to WhatsApp after summer 2017, doesn't do some Google Apps that could be useful for me (eg Trello - I think Trello is over-hyped rubbish, but many clients are using it more & more).

As a 2nd device I think the Passport would make a fine companion to your PRIV.

But I think it is a "rare" person that would find the Passport meets all their needs in today's smartphone landscape, as it's app compatibility is limited and growing more limited.

As for slowing down.... no. BB10 isn't growing or improving and neither are any of the apps... so the hardware isn't being outgrown like with other Operating Systems.

Only you can really determine if it would meet your needs....
    That's me!
    12-31-16 02:30 AM
    Hi All,
    I don't think anyone could ever say the Passport lags. It's very snappy and flys though BB10. Especially since it's got a Snapdragon 801 vs the dreaded S4 Plus that most devices have. I think its a great device for what it's meant for but its important to stress that the App situation isn't a pretty picture and i can't see it getting better as the years go by. But since its a secondary device, i don't think it will matter that much sine your PRIV can have all the Apps you need.
    The battery life is really good so no need to worry about that.
    12-31-16 03:42 AM
    Here's the thread where members here are still eyeing or have bought the Passport.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1015479

Sly, sly, sly...like a Demon's eye
    12-31-16 05:45 AM
    Hi All,
    I was in same scenario month back! Now with Priv and PP SE! Good but keep in mind PP is a big device as a second device
    12-31-16 05:52 AM
    Thanks for sharing your views. As much as I love having a Passport, I think I have to stick with my Priv. I do not plan to hold two phones at a time and the idea was to switch between my Priv and a Passport if I buy one.

Google photos and Android apps I regularly use are convenient with the Priv. I will find alternatives with the Passport, but I am not sure if it is worth it.

I am a user who occasionally play games and watch videos and snap pictures and videos frequently. I think the Passport will not fulfill some of my current usage.
    12-31-16 06:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    My headphone jack stopped working too but I was told by BlackBerry that it's a known issue and would be sorted out by the current OS update. Apparently not. It's not that the jack doesn't work, it's that it has disappeared from all applicable audio setting modes, now they just show 'speaker' and 'device', the headphone icon has disappeared altogether.
    12-31-16 10:48 AM
    Despite being the glitchiest device I have ever used I'd still buy another one in a heartbeat, maybe the SE version just to see what all the fuss was about.
    12-31-16 10:51 AM