Dear Crackberry Members.

I am new to Blackberry, I purchased a Z10 and Black Passport (both running newest software apprx. 4 weeks ago). I have friends who work in Military, Airforce and Goverment and they ALL use Blackberry 10 for work. That is why I started getting the feeling I am missing out on something.

I have spent apprx. 2 weeks emailing Blackberry Sales and Reading Crackberry Forums to learn as much as possible. But regardless I am a rookie, and I am unable to get my all the information I need. I would kindly ask for Professional Advice, ie. To learn from The Professionals and make the best use of the devices and powerful technology I purchased. I shall put the questions in Bullet Point format below to simplify the process. I am grateful for ALL the replies posted, excuse my ignorrance but I am still in the learning process.

The information you post is needed solely for my personal use, I am a 37 year old male who works in Government and am looking to secure my work phone because I travel alot and use Wi-Fi in airports and Hotels around The Gulf Countries GCC and Western Europe.

1. I read that PureVPN encrypts data but is 'useless' for BBM, it only conceals location but cannot encrypt BBM messages (I read they are scrambled with a universal Blackberry Key BIS). Is the only way to encrypt BBM messages and Calls within the Application is to buy BBM Protected - Enterprise? If that is true then how can I apply to pay the 33.50 Canadian Dollars the Blackberry sales people have not replied to my last 3 emails.

2. Since encrypted emails need both phones to have the encryption application. I thought using Proton Mail Swiss Encrypted mail as an option, I login on the web browser, but this way I don't have to inconvenience people I email, just need to supply them with a passphrase to open the email. According to you, am I doing it Professionally? Or is there a much better option?

3. GhostPGP seems complicated and over 500 Dollars a device per year. I trust Blackberry 10 (pre-Android) the other Softwares cannot be tested, so how can we trust what they say? Should I just stick with Blackberry Enterprise for encrytion?

4. If I use BBM messenger as it is, how safe is that compared to an iphone? Police and SS welcome, I just don't want hotel staff, or criminal hackers reading work information, bank transfers etc. is it mandatory to use BBM Enterprise for sensitive data transfer, phone calls?

5. GCC countries Qatar, Emirates etc. ban BBM voice calls etc. they are blocked by the network providers, although I bought my Blackberrys in Dubai Mall at a Flagship store. So... I don't care much for hiding my location but since the BBM Application is blocked many people use VPN to open and use the application. Do I have a choice other than VPN? Or is that the only way. If so, which is the BEST, most professional VPN in your Professional Opinion? Is PureVPN respected in your Profession?

Thank You so much for any guidance, it is highly appreciated. I want to finally figure out how to secure my work phone once and for all, to the outmost level.

Wishing All of You the Best!
    Regards,
    Jamil
    04-18-17 03:33 PM
    Your government colleagues are likely using a BlackBerry handset connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, which enforces security policies and settings on the devices connected to it. A BES connection can also grant a handset an inside the firewall internet connection, which keeps all of the traffic from the device through the corporate or government network filtres and firewalls and gives them access to their internal networks without the need for a separate VPN.

As a standalone consumer, you don't get the same degree of security, and all third-party options such as a VPN or PGP modification are just a band-aid. Your handset is capable of connecting to a BES, but you would have to purchase the license and likely don't have the same type of network infrastructure available to you to get all of the benefit of the service.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-18-17 05:37 PM
    Dear rthonpm, Thank You for the specific answer. That makes alot of sense, as I was hesitant to start signing up to VPN networks, which are 3rd parties, as some save information on their servers. So, in your opinion, I would need to ask someone from the IT department , in our office, to add me to the Blackberry Enterprise server? They have the subscription, I am guessing, so I just need the handset to be added on the administrative console. If that is not an option , depends on my level of security clearance, than I need to purchase it from Blackberry for 33.50 Canadian Dollars Annually and use their server? Is my hypothesis correct? Also one last question ( I apologize for abusing your patience, but you seem to be an expert in the field). What is your take on the Proton Mail, Swiss company with servers in Switzerland? Or is a work email better under Blackberry enterprise settings (ie. Encrypted). Thank You kindly for your assistance, as it is much needed and useful. PS. I read that BBM Application and all Blackberry 10 remained with Blackberry but all the newer versions, ie. Android are now with Emtek Group Indonesia. So is that why people insist on Blackberry 10? Still part of the Old Guard? Thanks Again! Pleasant day!
    04-19-17 03:39 AM
    Dear rthonpm, Thank You for the specific answer. That makes alot of sense, as I was hesitant to start signing up to VPN networks, which are 3rd parties, as some save information on their servers. So, in your opinion, I would need to ask someone from the IT department , in our office, to add me to the Blackberry Enterprise server? They have the subscription, I am guessing, so I just need the handset to be added on the administrative console. If that is not an option , depends on my level of security clearance, than I need to purchase it from Blackberry for 33.50 Canadian Dollars Annually and use their server? Is my hypothesis correct? Also one last question ( I apologize for abusing your patience, but you seem to be an expert in the field). What is your take on the Proton Mail, Swiss company with servers in Switzerland? Or is a work email better under Blackberry enterprise settings (ie. Encrypted). Thank You kindly for your assistance, as it is much needed and useful. PS. I read that BBM Application and all Blackberry 10 remained with Blackberry but all the newer versions, ie. Android are now with Emtek Group Indonesia. So is that why people insist on Blackberry 10? Still part of the Old Guard? Thanks Again! Pleasant day!
    First line of defense... is having someone that knows what they are doing. That should be the IT department, they should be able to set up your device and explain to you what is and what is not protected and when you might not want to use your phone when traveling.

By itself a BB10 phone is not really all that secure a communications device.... it has the potential to be.
    rthonpm likes this.
    04-20-17 08:17 AM
    Dear Dunt Dunt Dunt,

Thank You for your reply! I am getting to the end of it slowly but surely, I have an appointment with IT tomorrow morning. I am hoping to figure this out once and for all. I do appreciate both of the replies I receieved. The questions I posted 'in the original question' I ll keep with me tomorrow, but for reference is there a source you, as in Professionals, turn to? I read alot on the Crackberry forums but I am aware that Fact and Fiction have a tendency to interview on the internet. I myself collect wristwatches, and am an aficionado, but some of the information out there, posted officially or on blogs is utter rubbish, to say in the least. So following that hypothesis, I personally came to the conclusion that probably Crackberry is my best source of information which I then have to confirm or invalidate while talking to am expert. I hope to learn alot here. Blackberry has become a hobby for me recently, I am really enjoying the learning process, although I feel like an IT dinosaur, mostly with the questions I ask. Thank You again, for the replies. I appreciate the help!!!! Kind Regards.
    04-20-17 09:59 AM
    Dear Recipients,
    I had my meeting with the IT official this morning as stated in my last post above. According to him there was a subscription to Blackberry Enterprise Server - Protected priorly, but the subscription was no longer renewed. He said he'll try and find someone else to guide me, who may have BBM enterprise, otherwise I should try and get a subscription myself, I am a bit disappointed, I have email Blackberry sales people apprx. 5 times in the past two weeks but still no reply. Is there anyone who has experience with purchasing BBM enterprise as of 2016-2017, or a contact sales person at Blackberry I could email or call. Any help is appreciated. Thank You again for allowing me to us this forum as a platform for my issue, information gathering. Kind Regards.
    04-21-17 05:16 PM
    They may be phasing out BB, that's why.

Typically your employer will just provide you with a password and you'll be added to their BES servers. All your work emails, contacts, address book will be synced and will remain behind the corporate firewall.

Also you'll have access to work drives and the intranet... as if your device is plugged into the work network like a computer.

But if you subscribe for your own BES service, it doesn't do anything. You'll be the only one on that network, unless you can convince all your buddies to join you.

Maybe I'm wrong and someone can correct me.
    04-21-17 06:21 PM
    Good luck with getting anything done with them. BBM protected was simple to do last year. But this year you basically have to part the Red Sea in order for anything to get done. Yet they wonder why sales are so bad.

I'll try and track down a contact person for you if I can. PM me and I'll send the info to you. Please note that if they do contact you, they email you a form which you have to fill out and then send back to them via post or scan it and email it to them. It's basically a purchase order process you have to go through rather than a simple online purchase like before.

It seems to me that unless you say some magical words like "I'd like to order 1000 BBM protected licenses" then they'll ignore you.
    04-21-17 06:28 PM

But if you subscribe for your own BES service, it doesn't do anything. You'll be the only one on that network, unless you can convince all your buddies to join you.

Maybe I'm wrong and someone can correct me.
    Yeah, I don't think there is very much value at all in a personal BES account. If you send emails to other people from that account, there is practically no security advantage at all.

To the OP: I really wonder what you're trying to accomplish here. As others have pointed out, your govt colleagues are using devices which are part of an overall package including BES. They have security advantages when collaborating with each other all on that BES. You can't replicate that advantage on your own single device.

People here will claim some marginal advantages, like people can't root your phone. But if that's important to you, you can get that on a KeyOne and have a proper ecosystem as well.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-21-17 08:31 PM
    I am surprised your organization does not have a MDM security system. Does your organization provide the employees mobile phones? Do you handle secure information?
    04-21-17 09:36 PM
    Thank You all for the help! I appreciate the information. In this particualr case, some people do have BES, but I cannot be in that fleet and so the general fleet which was for general use is no longer under subscription, and that is why I was told by the IT consultant to solve it on my own or find someone who will add me, someone with administrator login. I am a beginner to technology, and the more I read on here, the more I realize that 'as stated above by one of the recipients' as a stand alone customer, there is not much point, it does not offer much. I simply prefered BES for the simple reason the VPN is forbidden in many GCC countries and Saudi Arabia officially, so I cannot install it on my Blackberry, and BES seemed a viable option to be able to use the utmost benefits of securiy on the device. In the past I realized that alot of adds in the browser are aimed at my past browsing history, also I had to change emails twice because of all the spam, although, I only email people I know. I have the feeling that all the Wi- Fi in Hotels and while travelling were the cause.
    Anyways I think my best bet is to find somone of my colleagues with BBM Secure and tryy and get on their network. Not much else point to it, as I am seeing from all the replies. Thank You all Dearly for the replies. I am grateful for the help. Kind Regards.
    04-22-17 01:59 AM
    I received your DM, but whenever I try to reply, it says users does not exist.
    04-24-17 01:23 PM
    Thank You all for the help! I appreciate the information. In this particualr case, some people do have BES, but I cannot be in that fleet and so the general fleet which was for general use is no longer under subscription, and that is why I was told by the IT consultant to solve it on my own or find someone who will add me, someone with administrator login. I am a beginner to technology, and the more I read on here, the more I realize that 'as stated above by one of the recipients' as a stand alone customer, there is not much point, it does not offer much. I simply prefered BES for the simple reason the VPN is forbidden in many GCC countries and Saudi Arabia officially, so I cannot install it on my Blackberry, and BES seemed a viable option to be able to use the utmost benefits of securiy on the device. In the past I realized that alot of adds in the browser are aimed at my past browsing history, also I had to change emails twice because of all the spam, although, I only email people I know. I have the feeling that all the Wi- Fi in Hotels and while travelling were the cause.
    Anyways I think my best bet is to find somone of my colleagues with BBM Secure and tryy and get on their network. Not much else point to it, as I am seeing from all the replies. Thank You all Dearly for the replies. I am grateful for the help. Kind Regards.
    Wi-Fi in hotels or anywhere outside your company... are not going to be secure, and it is easy to sniff email address or other data that isn't using a secure encrypted connection - HTTPS or a private VPN (kinda what BES is in a way).

Kinda at a loss, how little your IT department is concerned....

BlackBerry did have a cloud service for BES... but I couldn't find it very easy the PAGE seems to be pushing users to Microsoft Office 365 now - which I taught used another MDM solution.

Seeing what other at your "office" are doing, probable is the best solution.
    04-24-17 03:34 PM
    Thank You for the posting. Yes, in effect that was why I deemed I would be able to purchase Blackberry Protected now called Enterprise as a private customer because initially I read they offered a CLOUD service and so no need for a company server. That is the subscription thay I was asking help for which costs apprx. 35 Canadian Dollars Annually. Does it still exist? Also I read about VPN and the two that stood out were PureVPN based in Hong Kong and NordVPN with double VPN which is supposedly encrypted and professional. I have been thinking of adding it on my Blackberry Passport.
    Thank You for the Posting! And Research done on my question's behalf.
    04-24-17 04:03 PM