I’m still using a 9720 which is fantastically efficient and concise for complex docs and emails and fits comfortably in one hand. But Uber and WhatsApp don’t work anymore and we browsing is becoming unpredictable and slow.

So I’m considering A Key2 which has just launched in UK. But I can’t find any info anywhere about how you accurately move text around, cut and paste, insert punctuation etc in the absence of the trackpad. Can anyone help please?
    07-27-18 06:43 AM
    The KEY2 (and the KEYone) have a VERY innovative trackpad built in to the keyboard. Essentially the whole keyboard is a trackpad. You should be able to use THAT for what you need.
    The KEY2 (and the KEYone) have a VERY innovative trackpad built in to the keyboard. Essentially the whole keyboard is a trackpad. You should be able to use THAT for what you need.
    the newsusieq likes this.
    07-27-18 09:29 AM
    Thanks for that.. wish I’d asked earlier instead of spending hours trying to find the answer from Key2 marketing, articles etc! They really do need to emphasise this in the advertising....it doesn’t even get a mention except in passing in relation to apps...which isn’t what we serious Blackberry fans are really about.
    07-27-18 09:35 AM
    So I finally got my hands on a Key2 yesterday. It felt good to hold, though the keyboard seems clunky compared to the sleek elegance of a 9720. The huge disappointment though is that the keys cannot be used as a trackpad other than to swipe between apps, which is simply not the point. I must say I’d been sceptical about this, and indeed it’s true. If you want to write serious email and documents, to be able to highlight, cut, paste, insert, punctuate accurately and quickly the Key2 simply hasn’t got it. It’s frankly no better than an iPhone! What a missed opportunity - and why on earth didn’t they add a track pad??

Until they do I won’t be upgrading....i’ll carry on with 9720 for super-slick emailing and writing, whilst carrying an iPhone for Uber, maps and web browsing.
    DWonder likes this.
    08-05-18 02:47 AM
    IDK, but there must be a way, my Motion VKB can be turned into a "track pad."
    08-05-18 07:34 AM
    In IOS11, you can use force touch and swipe on the vkb to move the cursor. So the whole keyboard can be a trackpad. In android using google keyboard(vkb), you can move the cursor by swiping in the space button, its smaller than the whole keyboard like in ios but it gets the job done.
    08-05-18 07:52 AM
    So I finally got my hands on a Key2 yesterday. It felt good to hold, though the keyboard seems clunky compared to the sleek elegance of a 9720. The huge disappointment though is that the keys cannot be used as a trackpad other than to swipe between apps, which is simply not the point. I must say I’d been sceptical about this, and indeed it’s true. If you want to write serious email and documents, to be able to highlight, cut, paste, insert, punctuate accurately and quickly the Key2 simply hasn’t got it. It’s frankly no better than an iPhone! What a missed opportunity - and why on earth didn’t they add a track pad??

Until they do I won’t be upgrading....i’ll carry on with 9720 for super-slick emailing and writing, whilst carrying an iPhone for Uber, maps and web browsing.
    You can do all of that with the touch capacitive keyboard.

-To bring up the text selection cursor - double tap anywhere on the physical keyboard.

-To select text, press and hold the L shift key while dragging your thumb across the keyboard.

To Copy/Paste/Undo/Redo/Select all, you need to activate that function in the settings.
    Go into settings -> Shortcuts & Gestures. Then tap the "Customize the currency key". Then tap on the text at the top of the screen that pops up to select the Ctrl Key.

Now you can press and hold the $ key while pressing c,v,z,y,a to get your standard windows style copy/paste/undo/redo/select all.

For punctuation, it works like every other Blackberry phone. Tap the alt key and press the associated key for the punctuation.

To access even more symbols and punctuation, either press the Sym key, or simply swipe down on the keyboard. This brings up the virtual symbol tray. Swiping down a 2nd time brings up yet another symbol tray, and a 3rd time closes the tray.

You can even customize the virtual symbol tray and change the order in which they appear.

The only thing the capacitive keyboard cant do is bring up a mouse cursor like on the classic.
    08-05-18 08:12 AM
    The only thing the capacitive keyboard cant do is bring up a mouse cursor like on the classic.
    Which is one of the most important features of BlackBerry phones :-'(

But seriously, I wish they had the option to bring up the BB10 edit bubble. That was alot easier to use when moving the cursor around on the screen.
    08-05-18 10:25 PM
    Oh my goodness! So I can get myself a masters in tech then make sure I have the User Manual with me and a spare half hour for every small edit I want to make on the Key2......or I can just point the cursor via Trackpad on my 9720, or Classic.

I rest my case. Thank you for your input but by the end of reading it I’d lost the will to live!
    08-06-18 02:58 AM
    You can do all of that with the touch capacitive keyboard.

-To bring up the text selection cursor - double tap anywhere on the physical keyboard.

-To select text, press and hold the L shift key while dragging your thumb across the keyboard.

To Copy/Paste/Undo/Redo/Select all, you need to activate that function in the settings.
    Go into settings -> Shortcuts & Gestures. Then tap the "Customize the currency key". Then tap on the text at the top of the screen that pops up to select the Ctrl Key.

Now you can press and hold the $ key while pressing c,v,z,y,a to get your standard windows style copy/paste/undo/redo/select all.

For punctuation, it works like every other Blackberry phone. Tap the alt key and press the associated key for the punctuation.

To access even more symbols and punctuation, either press the Sym key, or simply swipe down on the keyboard. This brings up the virtual symbol tray. Swiping down a 2nd time brings up yet another symbol tray, and a 3rd time closes the tray.

You can even customize the virtual symbol tray and change the order in which they appear.

"To select text, press and hold the L shift key while dragging your thumb across the keyboard."

Just tried it on your post and a few Web sites. It didn't work.
    08-06-18 03:56 AM
    "To select text, press and hold the L shift key while dragging your thumb across the keyboard."

Yeah, this one is the most complicated mechanical thing in typing history
    08-06-18 05:57 AM

It only works in text fields - ie writing emails/messages/word documents.

It doens't work on un-editable text - ie webpages. For that you need to use the standard Android text selection on screen.
    08-06-18 12:16 PM
    OMG....if I’d lost the will to live before, I don’t know where I’m at now!

TRACKPAD! Trackpad! Trackpad! It is quite simply the only thing that will make any difference. And until the new “owners” of Blackberry sit up and take notice I will hang my head in despair at their stupidity. And anyone on this who tries to tell me trackpad doesn’t matter or there is a way around it???? I could be rude but I’m not made that way.

Come on people! There have to be enough of you out there in the serious business community who understand what I’m talking about! I’ve stockpiled 9720s which fit so perfectly whilst being written on super fast one thumb in my right hand, can be dropped without damage, have the battery changed at festivals, only doesn’t have WhatsApp cos of the nazis at Facebook...ooops, did I say that? Joke! So unless they totally rip out Desktop I will keep going on my gorgeous little device which creates envy wherever it’s seen for how slick it’s email performance is (not to mention unlimited worldwide data roaming on my heritage 2004 contract
    08-06-18 06:14 PM
    the world has moved on... just like McDonald refused serve the guy on horse in drive through... you are not the target customer (not data consumer for carrier) for K2/K1... (not google focus type either... you are on the edge of "nice have" left over of BB user that could/would/might upgrade).
    08-07-18 03:19 AM
    With all due respect the typos and grammar failings in your message, the result of being unable to accurately manipulate text, show just how important the trackpad/mouse is. Without it we are all in danger of looking as if we’re illiterate even when we’re not.
    08-20-18 11:50 AM
    Coming from a Bold 9930, I like this physical keyboard on the Key2. Being brand new to the Android OS, I find the keyboard to have its quirks and do miss the trackpad/cursor, however, I am trying to approach this system with an open mind. The keyboard, in my opinion, seems a little too touch sensitive, but again, I'm coming from the Bold 9930. I do like the predictive text feature, which seems to "substitute" the spellchecker features I'm used to. However, once I get more familiar with this Android OS, I'm guessing everything will come to light. In terms of typos and grammar manipulation, I can agree and disagree, but I feel it could be easier to use versus using complex actions to accomplish simple things. I am quite pleased with this Key2 and find myself interested in finding out more ways to get the most effective and efficient methods to use it.
    09-09-18 12:16 PM
    I'm coming from a Bold 9930 and I find using the physical keyboard a joy to use. I have no experience using the Android OS and it is quite confusing at times but I'm slowly getting the hang of it (I think). Being used to having hard keys for the options key (BlackBerry logo) and back key was more "mental" and my approach to this Key2 is having an open mind. Also, I've never used the iOS system. Learning this keyboard, I've discovered that I have to learn how much movement to use when swiping or else I'm either back to the home screen or a whole sentence is gone. I do wish there was more "BlackBerry" style apps to further the Hub, such as SMS, where you can cc multiple contacts for a message or two, similar to BB7. If I'm wrong, please enlighten me. I also find the typos and grammar manipulation a learning curve, however, I do wish there was a more simpler execution to perform these steps.
    09-09-18 12:35 PM