On BlackBerry World download the device switch app on both devices.

It's great and very straight forward

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    But I would need to download on this my old device correct ? Is not allowing me to do this
    01-08-15 01:30 AM
    Try bluetooth

Posted via CB10
    This seems like my last option, I assume switch on blue tooth and the there will be a transfer option to transfer all contacts ?
    01-08-15 01:34 AM
    Device switch needs to be on both devices.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-08-15 01:38 AM
    Johnny

When I click on the link of how to transfer old bb device it brings up the android transfer !
    What happens when you plug your old BlackBerry in with Link running? (Don't have the old Desktop Software running at the same time).

Does it not prompt you to transfer the data? It's supposed to. Seems like the simplest way to do it to me.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.1154 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    01-08-15 04:43 AM
    Open protect on u'r BB 10 phone hit restore it should do a one time download

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 05:07 AM
    You can get apps on your phone using your PC.

Free & Paid BlackBerry Apps for Smartphones & Tablets - BlackBerry World
    01-08-15 05:26 AM
    What happens when you plug your old BlackBerry in with Link running? (Don't have the old Desktop Software running at the same time).

Does it not prompt you to transfer the data? It's supposed to. Seems like the simplest way to do it to me.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.1154 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    Firstly thank you all for your responses. I have been at work at all day and due to internet policy was unable to access the website

Johnny when I plug my old blackberry into Link it says step 1 and just stays on that screen. When I plugged the new deevice in i just had the front screen giving me swith device etc
    01-08-15 01:43 PM
    To be honest with every one I retunred the classic today as it was just too much of a hassle. I can safely say that it annoyed me so much after having been quite excited to have picked it up. It is an absolute joke what I went through. I mean I was trying to transfer blackberry data to blackberry and this is what I had to go through.

I mean why even have link, why not just update desktop to do it all ? I have gone back to my old bb device and will keep this. Unfortunately with new devices and phones I guess the cliche "The thing about first impressions is that you only get one" and this impression was a disaster.

I can see why more BB7 devices were out selling BB10. On the BB 7 devices my first row is "Messages" "e mail account 1", "E mail account 2" "Texts" "Phone book" "Browser"

This is just what it is all about, 95% of the things I need to do with this phone are there, it just works. With the time I had with BB 10 i t was just uncomfortable. Admittedly I wasn't in the best of moods when trying to get to learn it but it just didn't work for me. Until BB 7 is discontinued I know where I'll be.
    01-08-15 01:53 PM
    Maybe if you actually tried some of the suggestions beyond the one you wouldn't be so disenchanted. But good luck and keep using what makes you happy.
    01-08-15 04:35 PM
    Lol amazing... didn't even try calling your carrier or anything for help?
    It's possible you encountered a bug and just needed to reboot your phone, for example.
    01-08-15 05:11 PM
    It's possible you encountered a bug and just needed to reboot your phone, for example.
    Regardless what the issue is he returned the phone.
    It's over for him.
    Some people are very satisfied and some are not.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-08-15 07:24 PM
    I think this is a case where the OP did not take the time to read over the documentation and/or looking at the online tutorial on how to switch over contacts. If the user got his Classic from a carrier, then they could of ask them to transfer over their contacts using a cellebrite machine.

It is pretty straight forward using blackberry link, at least the video makes it out to be so:
    01-08-15 07:55 PM
    Actually, I sympathize with the OP. I bought 4 9900s on the first day they were available and they are finally starting to die, so I had to do something and I bought a Q10. It is sufficiently different that the transition has not been fun and while the device is well made and I will keep it, Link is one of the things that is a real disappointment. Controlling the curser without the trackball is more cumbersome. MemoPad is AWOL. I think with the Classic and some time all of my complaints will be addressed, but you wind up really aware that you are moving to a new OS. It seems to me it is almost as painful as a switch to Apple or Android will be.
    I've been using BB devices for over a decade but this particular transition is not friendly for someone who isn't "into" phones and just wants to do what he has been doing all along, not try out 100,000 new apps.
    I still haven't found anything that syncs what used to be MemoPad entries with Outlook. Remember seems to be the correct app but the notes in it don't seem to sync. Not doing that when the Tasks are syncing strikes me as just weird.
    I'm sure the new phone will grow on me over time, but if I were Blackberry I'd make it a priority to insure 9900 users did not lose a single function and had a really intuitive transition.
    01-08-15 08:46 PM
    Actually, I sympathize with the OP. I bought 4 9900s on the first day they were available and they are finally starting to die, so I had to do something and I bought a Q10. It is sufficiently different that the transition has not been fun and while the device is well made and I will keep it, Link is one of the things that is a real disappointment. Controlling the curser without the trackball is more cumbersome. MemoPad is AWOL. I think with the Classic and some time all of my complaints will be addressed, but you wind up really aware that you are moving to a new OS. It seems to me it is almost as painful as a switch to Apple or Android will be.
    I've been using BB devices for over a decade but this particular transition is not friendly for someone who isn't "into" phones and just wants to do what he has been doing all along, not try out 100,000 new apps.
    I still haven't found anything that syncs what used to be MemoPad entries with Outlook. Remember seems to be the correct app but the notes in it don't seem to sync. Not doing that when the Tasks are syncing strikes me as just weird.
    I'm sure the new phone will grow on me over time, but if I were Blackberry I'd make it a priority to insure 9900 users did not lose a single function and had a really intuitive transition.
    I doubt you were comfortable for the first month of owning a BlackBerry phone to begin with. If you've been using something for over 3 years it's obvious moving to something new won't be a walk in the park unless you're very versatile.

I came from a torch, and my transition was amazingly easy and I never missed anything from my old phone. Then again I never used 'features' like auto on/off so I don't know
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-09-15 07:16 AM
    Again, firstly thank you for the feed back regarding this but am only seeing this now due to work internet constraints.

I shall break down where it fell down for me. When first initially using link I plugged in my old bb, and then the first stages started. Plugged in my phone and followed the steps. Then came the stage when it said plug in your new bb device but there was a note that said make sure your emails accounts are set up first. Did this set up my e mail accounts and the it said when you plug in your new bb device click on the picture.

A picture of the phone never came up. I then closed link to try again and nothing. The link home page (what seemed like the home page as my first time using came up) and nothing. My old phone had been disconnected as I ordered a new nano sim so everyone saying use blackberry protect I was unable to do this. Also I bought the phone off line so from a retailer not upgraded from mum network.

I'm a bit tech savvy but not a genius but this was just a night mare, link was and is appalling.

Some one in the posts said about the learning curve there is a an element of this. For example on my old bb if I open a web page type in an address, if I need to go to another web page press the menu key new page and enter it in, but after putting in a page I couldn't for the life of me find the bar to type in a new web address.

As some one said if I'm going to learn a new OS why not go to android, the whole point of bb to me is that it was essentially most of the same functions but it wasn't. As for bb10 definitely will. It be going anywhere near it. The trackpad and menu keys just do not function in the same way so it is pointless adding it. A few people on the forums did say you can't have a track pad on a touch gestured OS ie swiping up to close apps. The back key did not close the apps you still have to press the x. I couldn't see a close option in the menu either when the blackberry menu key was pressed.

Ps sorry for the long response but try to address as many of the replies as I could.
    01-09-15 01:20 PM
    To be honest with every one I retunred the classic today as it was just too much of a hassle. I can safely say that it annoyed me so much after having been quite excited to have picked it up. It is an absolute joke what I went through. I mean I was trying to transfer blackberry data to blackberry and this is what I had to go through.

I mean why even have link, why not just update desktop to do it all ? I have gone back to my old bb device and will keep this. Unfortunately with new devices and phones I guess the cliche "The thing about first impressions is that you only get one" and this impression was a disaster.

I can see why more BB7 devices were out selling BB10. On the BB 7 devices my first row is "Messages" "e mail account 1", "E mail account 2" "Texts" "Phone book" "Browser"

This is just what it is all about, 95% of the things I need to do with this phone are there, it just works. With the time I had with BB 10 i t was just uncomfortable. Admittedly I wasn't in the best of moods when trying to get to learn it but it just didn't work for me. Until BB 7 is discontinued I know where I'll be.
    Had u connected the devices via blue tooth it would have been a 2 minute process. Did it with my Bold.

Forgot why I stopped coming here. Thanks for the reminder.
    Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 01:23 PM
    I was going to ting my carrier and say ??? Link isn't connecting ??? Carrier"disconnect and try again...." Just having problems from the off was a bad sign
    01-09-15 03:19 PM
    Had u connected the devices via blue tooth it would have been a 2 minute process. Did it with my Bold.

Forgot why I stopped coming here. Thanks for the reminder.
    Posted via CB10
    No problems happy to have helped, am glad some one benefitted from me purchasing a bb 10 device
    01-09-15 03:22 PM
    I think this is a case where the OP did not take the time to read over the documentation and/or looking at the online tutorial on how to switch over contacts. If the user got his Classic from a carrier, then they could of ask them to transfer over their contacts using a cellebrite machine.

It is pretty straight forward using blackberry link, at least the video makes it out to be so:
    Blackberry protect did not own load on my device (bb 7) I tried so many times it said "the service plan for your blackberry does not support this application" as for the video, I promise you that was shot in a perfect world, a bit like seeing a Big Mac at McDonald's and then ordering one and looks like nothing like the picture....
    01-09-15 03:39 PM
    Yea I transfer my wife's OS 7 device to the Classic and it was super easy and quick. I had both phones hooked up via usb and had the BlackBerry desktop software open and the BlackBerry link opened and whala! Now transferring from my q10 to the Classic took literally ALL NIGHT to transfer all data!

Posted on my New BlackBerry Classic
    01-09-15 10:03 PM
    I doubt you were comfortable for the first month of owning a BlackBerry phone to begin with. If you've been using something for over 3 years it's obvious moving to something new won't be a walk in the park unless you're very versatile.

I came from a torch, and my transition was amazingly easy and I never missed anything from my old phone. Then again I never used 'features' like auto on/off so I don't know
    Regarding the over 3 years between switches, there haven't been any intervening Blackberry models. I was early with the 9900 and simply wasn't early with the Q10. The transition from BB to newer BB in the past has always been easy and intuitive. As for the very first BB I used more than a decade ago, phones were much simpler at that time and it wasn't really a problem either.

This transition wasn't smooth. If I had been on the 9900 for a month instead of 3 years, I think each issue I ran into would have accumulated to the same overall impression, i.e. no matter what the amount of time, certain features that I was used to just didn't make it into the new OS. Link is simply not as good as Desktop and it shows during the switch between phones.
    01-10-15 02:38 AM
    Regarding the over 3 years between switches, there haven't been any intervening Blackberry models. I was early with the 9900 and simply wasn't early with the Q10. The transition from BB to newer BB in the past has always been easy and intuitive. As for the very first BB I used more than a decade ago, phones were much simpler at that time and it wasn't really a problem either.

This transition wasn't smooth. If I had been on the 9900 for a month instead of 3 years, I think each issue I ran into would have accumulated to the same overall impression, i.e. no matter what the amount of time, certain features that I was used to just didn't make it into the new OS. Link is simply not as good as Desktop and it shows during the switch between phones.
    This I agree with Link needs serious looking into!
    01-10-15 04:43 AM
    Go to settings> BlackBerry protect>Restore

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 11:08 AM

Desktop was garbage too.
    Link is OK.
    I believe what your real problem was just link not recognizing the device. I've heard of this happening before and usually rebooting your computer or device would fix it. Sometimes you need to do a security wipe on your phone if rebooting doesn't help.

You should talk to Mr 4aces about his switch from a bold to the classic.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-10-15 11:48 AM
    I cannot transfer my conatcts over from BB7 to my new purchased classic ? HELP !!!

More detail

It has been 4 hours and I'm on the verge of giving up

I backed up my data on my curve on the blackberry desktop software. I then downloaded Link onto my pc. I connected my curve to the the pc when asked, it then asked me to connect my new device. When I did this nothing happened. I then open Link and a screen appears with the what i assume is the Link home screen. How I do get my curve data onto the my classic ?
    You don't use Desktop Manager for this.

Download BlackBerry Link, then plug your OS 7 device in and select switch device, it will back the Curve up, then it'll prompt you to plug your BB10 device in and restore it onto that.

It is pretty straight forward

Also, if you use BlackBerry Protect to back up the Curve, you can go into BlackBerry Protect on the BB10 and do a one time restore.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 12:15 PM
53 123