Blaze, it was a pleasure to meet you at the Toronto BB Motion launch in December 2017. I spent a few minutes with you asking questions about the new Motion phone. In particular, I wanted to ensure I would still be able to use my Outlook contacts with the new operating system of the Motion and I was assured that I could. I have purchased the Motion from Amazon and now would like to set up my new phone. I downloaded the Guide from the BB Website (Model BBD100-1) but there is no instructions/reference about the best practice for syncing with Microsoft Outlook. Is there somewhere you can direct me to get the assistance I need to setup my new Motion phone? Thank you. Melody
    01-08-18 02:16 PM
    Syncing to the desktop Outlook application was left over from the days when POP email was more or less your only option and storage was expensive. Your best bet is to migrate your information to a modern email provider like outlook.com or Gmail that will sync your mail, contacts, and calendar without having to worry about anything happening to your computer or mobile device.

Android was built expecting a modern email system so there's no native method to sync your data. There are apps available that will do this for you, but overall you're still relying on a single point of failure if your computer is your master source.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-18 05:33 PM
    Based on what you described and lacked describing your webmail provider, check their settings for imap or pop3, and put them in manually. That is the only way it will work, without having to switch e-mail providers.

Typed using my BlackBerry Passport running the latest QNX software release 10.3.3 on Freedom Mobile DC-HSPA+
    02-02-18 01:56 AM
    I have solved it on my phone. I was having the exact same problems as you, step by step. Here is what I did:

Go to the Hub and hit the menu on the top left corner, and go to "Add account"

Type in your outlook email adress and hit "Manual Setup"

Chose "IMAP"

Type in your password.

Under Server, type the server "imap-mail.outlook.com"

Port: 993

Security: SSL/TLS

Hit "NEXT"

On the next screen, under SMTP Server: Delete what it has and add "smtp-mail.outlook.com"

Port: 587

Security: STARTTS (accept all certificates)

Hit Next.

Customize your setting on the next screen, hit next, and you are done, it should be added to your hub.

Let me know if there are problems
    07-31-18 10:53 PM
    I have solved it on my phone. I was having the exact same problems as you, step by step. Here is what I did:

Go to the Hub and hit the menu on the top left corner, and go to "Add account"

Type in your outlook email adress and hit "Manual Setup"

Chose "IMAP"

Type in your password.

Under Server, type the server "imap-mail.outlook.com"

Port: 993

Security: SSL/TLS

Hit "NEXT"

On the next screen, under SMTP Server: Delete what it has and add "smtp-mail.outlook.com"

Port: 587

Security: STARTTS (accept all certificates)

Hit Next.

Customize your setting on the next screen, hit next, and you are done, it should be added to your hub.

Let me know if there are problems
    Hi Massini

Thanks for this reply - I've just got my first BB Motion, and come up against the exact same problem - chiefly caused, as far as I can see, by BB no longer offering the equivalent of BB Desktop Manager or BB Link for syncing phone to computer.

I've tried to follow your advice above, but it doesn't work for me. When I click on the "Add Account" option, it simply brings up three options:

BlackBerry CalDAV Account
    BlackBerry Hub+ Account
    BlackBerry Subscribed Calendar

If I try the first one, it asks for an email address, but when this is entered, it simply states that the email address is a duplicate of one in the BB Hub (which is true)

This is also true of the Hub+ option.

The third asks for a server address on the next page, and I tried using the settings that you've outlined above in your post, but the "manual setup" and "next" options at the bottom of the screen remain greyed out and you can go no further.

What should I be selecting, or have I got an option missing?

Incredibly frustrated. Am totally uninterested in "migrating" to some sort of cloud provider, and no large businesses that I'm aware of have cloud-based versions of Outlook running their companies email or calendar systems! It's got to be simpler than this... surely?
    08-23-18 09:05 AM
    Incredibly frustrated. Am totally uninterested in "migrating" to some sort of cloud provider, and no large businesses that I'm aware of have cloud-based versions of Outlook running their companies email or calendar systems! It's got to be simpler than this... surely?
    That's actually what most corporations using Office 365 have done: instead of hosting and maintaining fleets of Exchange servers in their data centres, they've migrated to a hosted Exchange service through business versions of Office 365. I made the move for my own company and it's been a much easier than trying to manage and patch in-house servers.

Also, email in and of itself is for all intents and purposes is the original 'cloud' asset: you download it from servers managed and run by someone else...
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-23-18 11:03 AM
    That's actually what most corporations using Office 365 have done: instead of hosting and maintaining fleets of Exchange servers in their data centres, they've migrated to a hosted Exchange service through business versions of Office 365. I made the move for my own company and it's been a much easier than trying to manage and patch in-house servers.

Also, email in and of itself is for all intents and purposes is the original 'cloud' asset: you download it from servers managed and run by someone else...
    This reply helps me or the problem how?

I don't know a company of any size or substance that has done what you describe.
    08-25-18 06:45 PM
    It's a twofold response.

Firstly, the contact and calendar sync features that older BlackBerry handsets offered were a means to fix a problem that modern email standards have fixed. Exchange/ActiveSync and Gmail accounts by default can sync mail, calendars, and contacts over multiple devices without the need for sync cables, or additional software. Syncing data from a desktop mail client to a mobile handset isn't seen as a requirement for modern operating systems. The feature was only shoehorned into BlackBerry 10 because of a small number of holdouts for it on the consumer side, and even then newer versions of Outlook removed some of the backend support for the sync feature because it's no longer considered a requirement as the number of people still doing it is miniscule.

Secondly, it was a statement about people using email but showing ambivalence towards anything being in the 'cloud'. Email has been a 'cloud' service since before the term even became popular. Unless you have a personal email server at home, exposed to the public Internet that you've managed and patched, your email sits in a data centre of a third-party. All 'cloud' services are is a new name on an existing method of operations.

Finally, as for the O365 thing: with close to 100 million corporate customers, it's very likely that a corporation you know is using the service and having their email hosted by Microsoft instead of in their own servers. Multiple US government agencies, and a good chunk of Fortune 500 corporations are all invested in the platform. My company has been tasked at times for assisting in the migrations either on the desktop or server side for several in the DC to Harrisburg area so I have fairly direct knowledge on the subject.

Posted via CB10
    john_v likes this.
    08-27-18 05:55 AM
    Firstly, the contact and calendar sync features that older BlackBerry handsets offered were a means to fix a problem that modern email standards have fixed. Exchange/ActiveSync and Gmail accounts by default can sync mail, calendars, and contacts over multiple devices without the need for sync cables, or additional software. Syncing data from a desktop mail client to a mobile handset isn't seen as a requirement for modern operating systems. The feature was only shoehorned into BlackBerry 10 because of a small number of holdouts for it on the consumer side, and even then newer versions of Outlook removed some of the backend support for the sync feature because it's no longer considered a requirement as the number of people still doing it is miniscule.
    You misunderstand the initial enquiry of both myself and the OP Melody.

I am not interested in or asking about sync'ing email between my PC and Motion. I am asking about how to directly connect and sync the Outlook calendar from a computer, to a smartphone. All I am interested in doing is ensuring that the data on my smartphone calendar and contact list, is available to me on my smartphone.

If you don't know how to do it - that's totally cool, and there's no need for further response. If you do know how to do it, it would be more helpful to provide the solution than an extended response that doesn't actually provide anything that solves the issue at hand.

Melody - did you get this sorted? I've used two external third party software solutions: EZOutlookSync and CompanionLink - both of which are dire, and neither of which actually do what they are supposed to!
    09-30-18 02:16 PM