My Dropbox has about 1 terabyte of data and I'm worried that if I sync it, it will cost me a fortune in data transmission costs with my carrier.

Also, Dropbox will constantly update/sync dozens of times a day, and that will probably kill me in data overage fees too.

Do most people only use Dropbox over wifi?
    10-15-14 02:03 PM
    First, when you use the "Connect to Dropbox" app, you are getting access to your Dropbox, not automatically syncing all the files to your device. Unless you "pin" a Dropbox file (from within your File Manager), you would only be downloading a file if you opened it. If you choose the option to have new photos/videos taken on your device sync to your Dropbox, that will use data.

Also, you can disable the use of the mobile network if you choose, for all of the above.

Hope this helps.
    First, when you use the "Connect to Dropbox" app, you are getting access to your Dropbox, not automatically syncing all the files to your device. Unless you "pin" a Dropbox file (from within your File Manager), you would only be downloading a file if you opened it. If you choose the option to have new photos/videos taken on your device sync to your Dropbox, that will use data.

Also, you can disable the use of the mobile network if you choose, for all of the above.

Hope this helps.
    10-15-14 02:12 PM
    Cloud services can automatically upload camera items. But you can turn that off in the settings.
    Other than that the only thing it automatically syncs is probably a file list to make sure it is up to date. Not the actual files. If you go offline, they are not available on your device.

The only time you actually use (a lot of) data, is when you select to copy new files to DB, or open a DB file to your device.
    I think you can also Pin some folders from DB, making an offline copy of them on your device, that would also cost data. But those are all after user input, it does not automatically do any of that.

Finally the apps offer you the option to select Wi-Fi only, if you are still worried.
    _____
    Or, what Elessar said.
    10-15-14 02:15 PM