I have an original AT&T Passport. Back when I had it set up, my old phone was plugged into a machine, which was then plugged into the (then-new) Passport. The machine did its magic and transferred all contacts to the Passport.

My Passport screen no longer works and I never had the contacts backed up. How can I get my contacts off of the broken-screened Passport?

The Passport phone works (Light blinks, audio sounds heard, ringer heard), but the passport is 100% black. I did set up BB Link and my pictures, videos, docs are backed up, but not my contacts.

PLEASE HELP! I never knew to back up contacts (I am old-school and not tech savvy) and assumed those magical machines would always be around to transfer the contacts.

(On a side note, I can still plug in my PP to Link and see the option to "Configure" Contacts/Calendar. However, the only option is to sync it with Outlook or Windows. Neither of which have my contacts.)
    08-18-19 04:41 PM
    I have an original AT&T Passport. Back when I had it set up, my old phone was plugged into a machine, which was then plugged into the (then-new) Passport. The machine did its magic and transferred all contacts to the Passport.

My Passport screen no longer works and I never had the contacts backed up. How can I get my contacts off of the broken-screened Passport?

The Passport phone works (Light blinks, audio sounds heard, ringer heard), but the passport is 100% black. I did set up BB Link and my pictures, videos, docs are backed up, but not my contacts.

PLEASE HELP! I never knew to back up contacts (I am old-school and not tech savvy) and assumed those magical machines would always be around to transfer the contacts.

(On a side note, I can still plug in my PP to Link and see the option to "Configure" Contacts/Calendar. However, the only option is to sync it with Outlook or Windows. Neither of which have my contacts.)
    If your contacts aren't cloud based, and you never backed them up, then unless you fix your screen, you're out of luck.
    08-18-19 06:06 PM
    I'd say try synching your contacts with Outlook or Windows anyway, and then try exporting them from there.
    OrlandoTruth likes this.
    08-18-19 09:19 PM
    I'd say try synching your contacts with Outlook or Windows anyway, and then try exporting them from there.
    MUNCHKINGUY: It Worked! Thank you so much. It transferred 416 contacts to my Outlook. Now if only I knew how to get the Outlook Contacts onto my new (non-AT&T) Passport....

(I wanted as a back up to my back up to also sync the contacts to Windows, however, BB Link is now only allowing the option of syncing to Outlook. I guess because I chose that as my first choice to sync. Anyone know how to now sync my contacts to Windows also?)

THANK YOU MUNCHKINGUY!
    08-20-19 03:23 PM
    Problem might be what version of Outlook do you have? LINK only works with pre2016 Outlook.

Some of the backup options in BBW like Ultimate Backup will allow you to export data in a file type that can be imported, but not sure about any easy sync options.
    08-20-19 03:28 PM
    If your contacts aren't cloud based, and you never backed them up, then unless you fix your screen, you're out of luck.
    Conite: Thanks for your response! I was able to sync the contacts from my broken Passport to my Computer Outlook. Is there a way I can now make a "Cloud Back-up" you mentioned? (Please be gentle with your answer....I know practically nothing about technology...which is probably why I am in this dilemma in the first place.)
    08-20-19 03:43 PM
    Problem might be what version of Outlook do you have? LINK only works with pre2016 Outlook.

Some of the backup options in BBW like Ultimate Backup will allow you to export data in a file type that can be imported, but not sure about any easy sync options.
    DUNT DUNT DUNT: I am almost positive I have a pre-2016 Outlook since I have had this computer for many many years. I am going to find out. I have actually never used BBW (can't get into my BBID for some reason), so will do a bit of research. Thanks for guiding me to a starting point. I will probably start a new question thread.
    08-20-19 03:45 PM
    Conite: Thanks for your response! I was able to sync the contacts from my broken Passport to my Computer Outlook. Is there a way I can now make a "Cloud Back-up" you mentioned? (Please be gentle with your answer....I know practically nothing about technology...which is probably why I am in this dilemma in the first place.)
    Google "how to convert outlook contacts to outlook.com".
    08-20-19 04:32 PM
    Wow. Not idiot-proof, but seems way simpler than when I investigated doing this several years ago.

But what do you do after copying your Contacts from Outlook (desktop client) to Outlook.com? Just add the Outlook.com account to the HUB?

What about the stock Android Contacts app? Can you or should you disable it? I find major discrepancies, especially when editing, between stock Contacts and BB Hub + Contacts.

Same question regarding Google Calendar and BB Hub + Calendar.

Seems like there should be a current sticky or recent thread on this, but I can't find it.

Feel like I'm getting closer to finally having all devices, computers and smartphone, sync the same Contacts and Calendar data.

Thanks.
    08-23-19 01:42 PM
    DUNT DUNT DUNT: I am almost positive I have a pre-2016 Outlook since I have had this computer for many many years. I am going to find out. I have actually never used BBW (can't get into my BBID for some reason), so will do a bit of research. Thanks for guiding me to a starting point. I will probably start a new question thread.
    Hey Blue,

Let me know if you started a new thread and I'll continue this there, but just as a side note: it's VERY easy to sync Outlook contacts with your new Passport, or if for some reason you have 2016 Outlook or later you can export them and import easily into your Passport.

Regarding conite's comments about the cloud: you can certainly sync with the cloud if you wish, but you can also schedule regular automatic backups to preserve your data in case something like this happens again. Don't feel compelled to go to the cloud if you don't want to--it's entirely up to you!

Before I get into how-tos (very gentle, don't worry! ), let me ask you this: would you prefer to sync with a cloud service or be able to just back up your data automatically to an SD card or elsewhere?
    08-23-19 02:52 PM
    Hey Blue,

Let me know if you started a new thread and I'll continue this there, but just as a side note: it's VERY easy to sync Outlook contacts with your new Passport, or if for some reason you have 2016 Outlook or later you can export them and import easily into your Passport.

Regarding conite's comments about the cloud: you can certainly sync with the cloud if you wish, but you can also schedule regular automatic backups to preserve your data in case something like this happens again. Don't feel compelled to go to the cloud if you don't want to--it's entirely up to you!

Before I get into how-tos (very gentle, don't worry! ), let me ask you this: would you prefer to sync with a cloud service or be able to just back up your data automatically to an SD card or elsewhere?
    TT,

I did a new thread in the PP forum, but haven't gotten a response, so maybe it is best for me to put my question back in this thread.

I was able to copy my contacts from my broken PP via Link and put them on my Microsoft Outlook (2010 version). I then exported the contacts from Outlook to an Excel File (.csv) and saved it to my computer. Now I just need to figure out how to get that exported Outlook file onto my NEW PP. Please help.

As for the regular backup: Since I don't really know what a cloud is...ha...I prefer to do a backup to an SD Card, USB Stick or onto my Computer. Please also help.

Thank you!
    08-23-19 03:40 PM
    TT,

I did a new thread in the PP forum, but haven't gotten a response, so maybe it is best for me to put my question back in this thread.

I was able to copy my contacts from my broken PP via Link and put them on my Microsoft Outlook (2010 version). I then exported the contacts from Outlook to an Excel File (.csv) and saved it to my computer. Now I just need to figure out how to get that exported Outlook file onto my NEW PP. Please help.

As for the regular backup: Since I don't really know what a cloud is...ha...I prefer to do a backup to an SD Card, USB Stick or onto my Computer. Please also help.

Thank you!
    Hey Blue,

Here's a good solution for importing .csv contacts into your Passport. It's a native app called ContactsImEx, available freely from Blackberry World:

(open this link from your Passport)

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/37102894

Just download the app, copy the VCF file to your Passport (via direct copy in File Explorer, or Blackberry Blend), open the app, and select Import then where you copied the file on the device to import all contacts.

On the regular backup, I'd suggest using Ultimate Backup, a native Blackberry 10 app from Runisoft. Here's how to get that app:

1. Go to Buy BlackBerry 10 Apps

2. Select Ultimate Backup from the list.

3. Pay $9.99 via Paypal or card. (I know, it seems expensive but trust me it's worth it.)

4. Runisoft will send you instructions and a promo code to use to download the otherwise paid app from Blackberry World.

5. Follow the instructions to download the app.

6. Open it up and start scheduling your backups to your SD card! You can also use various Windows file syncing utilities to copy your backups to your computer in combination with mapping your Passport as a network drive. I can provide more how-tos on that as needed, just let me know.
    08-23-19 03:59 PM
    Here's a good solution for importing .csv contacts into your Passport. It's a native app called ContactsImEx, available freely from Blackberry World:

(open this link from your Passport)

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/37102894

Just download the app, copy the VCF file to your Passport (via direct copy in File Explorer, or Blackberry Blend), open the app, and select Import then where you copied the file on the device to import all contacts.
    TT,

Thanks for the guidance. I spent all day yesterday doing this and ran into a few problems. Can you or someone give guidance.

I downloaded the ContactsImEx app from BBW. I exported all contacts from my broken Passport to 2010 Outlook (I could only figure out how to save the files as CSV files). I then imported the CSV file. using the app. When I went to the "PHONE" icon on the bottom left of my homepage, there were ZERO contacts inside. However, when I went to the "CONTACTS" icon on the 2nd homepage, there was the CSV file...as what looked like an excel spreadsheet. However, it says I have 2,622 contacts and has excel columns from A through CN and hundreds of rows. Many of the cells have dashes, #FALSE , are blank, #TRUE , etc. written inside. This "CONTACTS" icon is useless with this messy excel spreadsheet inside. I can use the search icon inside the Contacts Icon, but it is just very messy.

I then was able to figure out how to save my Outlook contacts as VCF files and put the contacts on my phone (this is VERY messy and time consuming and I still haven't finished since I can only do 1 at a time). When I did this, my contacts were on my "PHONE" icon on the bottom left of my homescreen...however, the CONTACTS icon still has the messy CSV excel file.

So my question is this: HOW DO I ERASE THE MESSY CSV FILE LOCATED IN THE "CONTACTS" ICON? I have looked on BB Link and can't find where to erase it. I have plugged my phone into my computer and looked on File Explorer and the files on the phone, but can't find it.

Thank You!
    08-25-19 02:31 PM
    TT,

Thanks for the guidance. I spent all day yesterday doing this and ran into a few problems. Can you or someone give guidance.

I downloaded the ContactsImEx app from BBW. I exported all contacts from my broken Passport to 2010 Outlook (I could only figure out how to save the files as CSV files). I then imported the CSV file. using the app. When I went to the "PHONE" icon on the bottom left of my homepage, there were ZERO contacts inside. However, when I went to the "CONTACTS" icon on the 2nd homepage, there was the CSV file...as what looked like an excel spreadsheet. However, it says I have 2,622 contacts and has excel columns from A through CN and hundreds of rows. Many of the cells have dashes, #FALSE , are blank, #TRUE , etc. written inside. This "CONTACTS" icon is useless with this messy excel spreadsheet inside. I can use the search icon inside the Contacts Icon, but it is just very messy.

I then was able to figure out how to save my Outlook contacts as VCF files and put the contacts on my phone (this is VERY messy and time consuming and I still haven't finished since I can only do 1 at a time). When I did this, my contacts were on my "PHONE" icon on the bottom left of my homescreen...however, the CONTACTS icon still has the messy CSV excel file.

So my question is this: HOW DO I ERASE THE MESSY CSV FILE LOCATED IN THE "CONTACTS" ICON? I have looked on BB Link and can't find where to erase it. I have plugged my phone into my computer and looked on File Explorer and the files on the phone, but can't find it.

Thank You!
    Hey Blue,

Let me test this out and get back to you using Contacts ImEx. I'm sure we can get rid of whatever is going on with this CSV and import normally. I'll see if I can't do a how-to for you as well so that once we clear the bad contacts you can import them all at once and be back to normal.
    08-26-19 04:20 PM
    Hey Blue,

Let me test this out and get back to you using Contacts ImEx. I'm sure we can get rid of whatever is going on with this CSV and import normally. I'll see if I can't do a how-to for you as well so that once we clear the bad contacts you can import them all at once and be back to normal.
    I know what I did... to keep from having these kinds of issues.

Created an outlook.com email account with Microsoft. Set that up in Desktop Outlook, then imported the CSV file from my old phone contacts into the Desktop Outlook, web Outlook account. Once there I allowed the contact to sync with the cloud and then added that web Outlook account to my new phone. Going forward any changes to the phone or the computer were synced.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-27-19 11:46 AM
    I know what I did... to keep from having these kinds of issues.

Created an outlook.com email account with Microsoft. Set that up in Desktop Outlook, then imported the CSV file from my old phone contacts into the Desktop Outlook, web Outlook account. Once there I allowed the contact to sync with the cloud and then added that web Outlook account to my new phone. Going forward any changes to the phone or the computer were synced.
    To be clear, you have two accounts in Outlook (Desktop): Your email provider (Comcast for me), and Outlook.com. All Contacts are in the Outlook.com account; no Contacts in the Outlook (Desktop) email provider account.

Correct?

Did you do the same for the Calendar?
    08-27-19 12:23 PM
    To be clear, you have two accounts in Outlook (Desktop): Your email provider (Comcast for me), and Outlook.com. All Contacts are in the Outlook.com account; no Contacts in the Outlook (Desktop) email provider account.

Correct?

Did you do the same for the Calendar?
    Each account is separate - each has a calendar, email....

When you export or import you can select which account to copy item to or from.
    08-27-19 01:22 PM
    Each account is separate - each has a calendar, email....

When you export or import you can select which account to copy item to or from.
    I understand each account in Outlook (Desktop) will each have their own separate Contacts and Calendar.

However, are you using both of them or only the Outlook.com Contacts and Calendar, i.e. the Outlook (Desktop) Contacts and Calendar are not used because Outlook.com and the smartphone would not "see" the Outlook (Desktop) Contacts and Calendar data?

Otherwise, you'd be constantly having to copy Contacts and Calendar data from Outlook (Desktop) to Outlook.com, right?
    08-27-19 01:53 PM
    I understand each account in Outlook (Desktop) will each have their own separate Contacts and Calendar.

However, are you using both of them or only the Outlook.com Contacts and Calendar, i.e. the Outlook (Desktop) Contacts and Calendar are not used because Outlook.com and the smartphone would not "see" the Outlook (Desktop) Contacts and Calendar data?

Otherwise, you'd be constantly having to copy Contacts and Calendar data from Outlook (Desktop) to Outlook.com, right?
    Both... but they are separate, so if you add a contact you have to make sure which account you add it too.
    08-27-19 03:05 PM
    While that's better than what I have now (Contacts spread across 2 smartphones and 2 computers), it still means 2 sets of Contacts, correct? Outlook (Desktop) and Outlook.com?

And which Contacts app do you use on your smartphone? Google Contacts, Hub+Contacts, or.....?
    08-27-19 03:44 PM