I want to use WhatsApp to stay in touch with exactly one person, my daughter, who is overseas - because it's what she's using. I do not want my other contacts involved. How do I set this up?
    01-11-16 03:05 PM
    You can't this is one of the worse apps for tracking and data mining.
    01-11-16 03:47 PM
    I want to use WhatsApp to stay in touch with exactly one person, my daughter, who is overseas - because it's what she's using. I do not want my other contacts involved. How do I set this up?
    My layman's understanding is that your only option is to delete WhatsApp from your phone and use an alternative messaging system (I recommend BBM because it has far superior voice call quality on BlackBerry, iOS & Android).

What phone do you have - what phone does your daughter have?
    01-11-16 03:47 PM
    In the past I successfully denied the app access to my contacts and it worked. Now it seems this may be impossible
    01-11-16 04:26 PM
    It sounds funny but you can still BLOCK all other contacts. If you want to do this
    1. Open your WhatsApp App
    2. Go to settings by sliding down the opened app (BlackBerry Z10). N/B: F settings in other devices
    3. Go to Privacy Settings
    4. Block contacts
    5. Yahoo! They can't chat you up no more cos you won't receive their messages.
    Hope this helps. Good luck!
    01-11-16 04:57 PM
    Android app you can stop whatsapp to access your contact list by going into security options and application permissions. Whatsapp for BlackBerry you cannot. So only way for you is uninstall whatsapp for BlackBerry.. install android version on ya blackberry. In ya security settings.. application permissions.. turn off contact access.

Blackberry Z30
    01-12-16 01:00 AM
    Go to app permission and then find whatsapp and set permission (contact information) close it....now enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 02:27 AM
    Go to app permission and then find whatsapp and set permission (contact information) close it....now enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    It's not possible for whatsapp build for BlackBerry. Only thing yu can turn off is run when minimised.

Blackberry Z30
    01-12-16 04:11 AM
    It's not possible for whatsapp build for BlackBerry. Only thing yu can turn off is run when minimised.

Blackberry Z30
    You have that twisted. You can stop the native app from accessing your contacts, but not the android port.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-12-16 04:14 AM
    You can't this is one of the worse apps for tracking and data mining.
    Proof or stop spreading lies

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 04:19 AM
    Can change few permissions on android apps using `BlackBerry Google ID' app.

How do I prevent WhatsApp from accessing my contacts?-img_20160112_170355.png

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 06:12 AM
    Um, when I installed it I turned it off with the switch
    01-12-16 06:41 AM
    After installing the blackberry Google id app on your BB10 OS sign in with your gmail then you will be able to make changes on app permissions.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 07:22 AM
    How do I prevent WhatsApp from accessing my contacts?-images.png

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 07:29 AM
    Hate to tell you guys it still data mines
    01-12-16 10:22 AM
    Hate to tell you guys it still data mines
    I'll ask again, proof?

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 11:01 AM
    It sounds funny but you can still BLOCK all other contacts. If you want to do this
    1. Open your WhatsApp App
    2. Go to settings by sliding down the opened app (BlackBerry Z10). N/B: F settings in other devices
    3. Go to Privacy Settings
    4. Block contacts
    5. Yahoo! They can't chat you up no more cos you won't receive their messages.
    Hope this helps. Good luck!
    This will only work for your contacts. If you are someone else's contact but they are not yours, they can still message you, defeating preemptive blocking.
    01-12-16 02:12 PM
    I'll ask again, proof?

Posted via CB10
    On the priv you can use dtek for proof. Any simple google search will tell you.

Most free apps data mine. Why would Facebook be interested in them otherwise?

01-12-16 02:13 PM

DTEK tells you how many times an App accesses a certain feature on the device, that's not valid proof of misusage or abuse.

Also, most free Apps data mine is a load of rubbish.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-12-16 02:29 PM

As far as I know, Whatsapp's pathological need for contacts access is more from poor app design than malevolence, Facebook notwithstanding.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/11/1...t-7-days/#gref
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-12-16 03:34 PM
    DTEK tells you how many times an App accesses a certain feature on the device, that's not valid proof of misusage or abuse.

Also, most free Apps data mine is a load of rubbish.

Posted via CB10
    You're allowed to be completely blind to the situation. I won't stop you.

But don't call other people when you have no clue what you're talking about.

01-12-16 03:35 PM
    You're allowed to be completely blind to the situation. I won't stop you.

But don't call other people when you have no clue what you're talking about.

Blind? Hahahahaha funny man funny

Most Free App Devs including myself couldn't give a damn about your phones data and don't want or need your data.
    People need to take step back with this obsession that practically all devs are data stealing maniacs living in caves or something.

And WhatsApp, it uses contact access to cross check with its servers for WhatsApp users, where is the evidence of malpractice here?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-12-16 03:38 PM
    The base program reports back to mama the minute you use your contacts to make. contact

Woof
    01-12-16 05:47 PM
    IMG_20160113_015859.png

You can turn off contacts in the native BlackBerry version of WhatsApp. I have the latest beta so I do not know if the bbw version has this option also.

It will no longer access your contacts but it will not stop others from messaging you because whatsapp is build in such a way so everyone who knows your mobile number can contact you...only way to prevent people to contact you is blocking them after the initial contact...

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 07:03 PM
    Uninstall it.
    Problem solved.

Posted via CB10
    Lusitano17 likes this.
    01-12-16 07:40 PM
28 12