Hello.

I just purchased a brand new Blackberry 9700 which has os5 installed. I read somewhere that os6 (once shrunk) will work much faster, and provide me with good internet speed.

Can you please tell me how to install os6, and where I can download it? I tried from the Blackberry desktop manager software, but it told me I couldn't have os6 because it's only available for Blackberry subscription???

Finally, can you tell me how I can shrink os6 for my Blackberry 9700? I have downloaded BB Boss Version 2, but to be honest I do not have the slightest clue how it works.

Please consider that I am not technical in the slightest, and very unfamiliar with Blackberry technology, and computer lingo. I really need basic instructions. Thank you so much.

Kind Regards, Rikki
    07-05-16 02:53 PM
    I would avoid trying to shrink anything unless you are an expert. Too many things to go wrong.

O2 UK has 6.0.0.668 on their site (all language version):

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...B73B97E1AAA491

AT&T has the same one, but the slightly smaller multi-language version:

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...E4F82F9F00E7D4

Download and install on computer, then remove the vendor.xml file from the install directory. Fire up BlackBerry Desktop and update your device.
    I would avoid trying to shrink anything unless you are an expert. Too many things to go wrong.

O2 UK has 6.0.0.668 on their site (all language version):

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...B73B97E1AAA491

AT&T has the same one, but the slightly smaller multi-language version:

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...E4F82F9F00E7D4

Download and install on computer, then remove the vendor.xml file from the install directory. Fire up BlackBerry Desktop and update your device.
    Last edited by conite; 07-05-16 at 03:07 PM.
    mototopo likes this.
    07-05-16 02:55 PM
    BBHTool is what you would want to use to "shrink" the installation file for a BBOS device.

Spend some time reading up on it.http://forums.crackberry.com/legacy-...s-tool-579729/
    07-05-16 03:20 PM
    Thank you for your help. But don't these oss slow down the 9700 unless they are shrunk? Though, I suppose my real question is, will this os provide me with a decent browser so I can actually use the internet? That's all I really want.
    07-05-16 03:30 PM
    Thank you for your help. But don't these oss slow down the 9700 unless they are shrunk? Though, I suppose my real question is, will this os provide me with a decent browser so I can actually use the internet? That's all I really want.
    It's all relative. The browser may be marginally better, but not significant.

Shrinking doesn't make the phone faster, it just leaves you more room for apps (which I suppose can make the phone faster if you are almost full).
    07-05-16 03:32 PM
    On a BBOS device the performance can be improved by freeing up internal memory used by the OS installation. With the STORM is made a big difference, with the 9700... no sure if it will or not.

Decent browser to use the internet... that is a very subjective question. Personally, I'd say there is no BBOS powered phone with a decent browser or internet speeds.... but then I hear many here that are very happy with their BBOS device or their PlayBook. Really comes down to what you are use to I guess.
    07-05-16 03:36 PM
    Thanks Conite. I just went to your first link and the software download is for os5.
    07-05-16 03:47 PM
    Very interesting indeed! I shall get reading! Thank you Dunts!!!!
    07-05-16 03:48 PM
    Thanks Conite. I just went to your first link and the software download is for os5.
    No, OS6 is on the list. I just checked both links. You ARE using a Bold 9700, right?
    07-05-16 03:48 PM
    You may want to stay with OS5. I believe your phone will be snappier with that version. Otherwise, you may just want to check your phone for an OTA update within the settings.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 09:46 PM
    What's OTA update and how do I check it?
    07-06-16 12:47 AM
    Yes I am using a bold 9700. Thank you, I will try again.
    07-06-16 12:48 AM
    Well...Conite. Here's just how crap my IT knowledge is. I removed the old Blackberry software that I got from the Blackberry website last week, and then I installed the os6 from the link you provided. But now I cannot even find the executable to open the software!

It has definitely installed though, for I saw it finish, but it didn't put a shortcut on the desktop or even give me the option to do so. I'm running Windows 10. I tried looking in the c:/program files and on the search on the local drive.. but nothing. Any ideas? This is so frustrating! Thanks!
    07-06-16 02:43 AM
    Well...Conite. Here's just how crap my IT knowledge is. I removed the old Blackberry software that I got from the Blackberry website last week, and then I installed the os6 from the link you provided. But now I cannot even find the executable to open the software!

It has definitely installed though, for I saw it finish, but it didn't put a shortcut on the desktop or even give me the option to do so. I'm running Windows 10. I tried looking in the c:/program files and on the search on the local drive.. but nothing. Any ideas? This is so frustrating! Thanks!
    You don't "run" the downloaded OS. You run BlackBerry Desktop software.

Don't forget to delete the vendor.xml file from the OS install directory. Just do a windows search for the filename and delete any and all that it finds.
    07-06-16 07:15 AM
    Conite, I understand that much mate. There is something more fundamentally wrong here. Anyway, I managed to download and launch the software you suggested, which was only possibly with the launch selection on the completion of install. I cant launch again unless I remove then install again, as the directory for the software seems to remain hidden in all the usual locations.

And when I fially got it running and tried to select the os6 to install on my Blackberry, I got this message: " This BlackBerry� Device Software upgrade includes new features and significant enhancements to the BlackBerry� solution and, as such, is only available to users with an active BlackBerry subscription. To learn more about BlackBerry� service, please visit www.blackberry.com/service."

I just don't think is going to happen for me...
    07-06-16 09:18 AM
    Yes, bis subscription is required...
    07-06-16 09:36 AM
    Does a BIS subscription cost money? What is it exactly?
    07-06-16 09:45 AM