Tethered my phone 3 times this am and instantly had data usage occur totaling 2.2 GB!

The Data Usage Counter app on my Q10 shows (in the last instance) 423 MB In, 59 MB Out at exactly 1:19:55 pm.. When I connected phone to laptop.

I googled and downloaded Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 (just prior to the third tether) and it shows crap loads of activity, probably mostly what should be there, but I have no idea how to identify what program on my laptop is triggering this data transfer.

My next step is to post to networking forums, but thought someone here might have already faced this ******** issue.

Thanks for reading...
    shannon
    03-06-15 01:30 PM
    I know certain versions of windows have a resource monitor, you can then see what app is using all your network traffic (if it's a file transfer at all) or even look at the disk activity and see what process is using your disk for the read.

My simple thought is that you may have automatic updates on and when windows sees the connection, it just starts grabbing.
    Last edited by RoboticGolem; 03-06-15 at 01:43 PM. Reason: i r spell gud
    03-06-15 01:43 PM
    There are plenty of programs running in the background on a computer... open taskmanager [ctrl]+[alt]+[del] to get to task manager... you'll get an idea. Many programs do updates, transfer data even the antivirus does sth online like actualizing its database... if I were you, I'd not tether the phone to the computer. With a large data plane 5GB/month, may be... but only if I needed to do sth important when not at home!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.1531; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    03-06-15 01:48 PM
    As long as you are not using windows 8 or windows 10 it could be anything......

Windows 8 and higher offer the option of "metered" connections, allowing you to set a limit and prevent windows apps to hog data....

Check what has been running on your laptop and try to find the culprit to prevent it from happening again....

I am a heavy user and get around 1TB of traffic a month..... easily...

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 02:55 PM