I bought a Z10 4G and the account I have with my carrier does not allow 4G so they said I would have to take it some where to have to flashed to 3G. Is this something I can do myself? I have searched the internet and can't find it. I assume this is not common. I want to do it so maybe I could reverse it some day.
    Lee
    12-16-14 09:53 AM
    Has anyone told you that you need to flash the phone to 3G? Seems very odd that they would suggest this as network settings are pre-set on the SIM so your Z10 should automatically set itself. More importantly you should make sure the device version is compatible with your carrier. Providing your network is North American and GSM then the STL100-3 should work with your carrier, there are others that should work but you'll need to check. If your carrier is CDMA then you need to be a bit more careful in your choice.

What carrier are you on? What country are you in?
    12-16-14 10:07 AM
    You shouldn't need to flash anything.

Provided the phone supports the frequencies your carrier uses for their 3G network the phone will work fine as it is.

A couple of questions for you. Firstly, which exact model of the Z10 do you have? To find out, on the phone go to Settings / About. Under the General category you will see Model Number, what is it? It will start with STL100-

Secondly, what country are you in and what company is your carrier?

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1154 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    12-16-14 10:07 AM
    I have a STL100-4. I am in the US and my carrier is Pageplus which uses the Verizon network. They told me to flash the phone because my plan does not allow this 4G phone, only 3G. I don't buy a data plan.
    Lee
    12-16-14 10:20 AM
    I have a STL100-4. I am in the US and my carrier is Pageplus which uses the Verizon network. They told me to flash the phone because my plan does not allow this 4G phone, only 3G. I don't buy a data plan.
    Lee
    Interesting. The STL100-4 is built for Verizon networks. No flashing should be required at all.

Edit: per Pageplus, to use the STL100-4 you'd need to change plans, not flash the phone. Or buy a phone that doesn't have 4G.
    Last edited by iBuilder; 12-16-14 at 10:54 AM.
    12-16-14 10:40 AM
    Can't you just change the settings in the network section. Never heard of flashing the phone to 3g and am pretty sure that's nonsense. The phone should just connect with the speed that your contract is. For example my friend got a 4g upgrade offer and later that day the phone started connecting with 4g automatically with no settings changed. Yours should just connect at 3g and stay there
    How do I flash a Z10 from 4G to 3G?-img_20141216_204658.png

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 10:50 AM
    Can't you just change the settings in the network section. Never heard of flashing the phone to 3g and am pretty sure that's nonsense. The phone should just connect with the speed that your contract is. For example my friend got a 4g upgrade offer and later that day the phone started connecting with 4g automatically with no settings changed. Yours should just connect at 3g and stay there
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141216_204658.png 
Views:	232 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	321117

Posted via CB10
    This is what the STL100-4 has on a Verizon network, which would be what Pageplus uses as it's Verizon's prepaid option. And they have plans with no 4G/LTE.

Attachment 321122
    Last edited by iBuilder; 12-16-14 at 11:07 AM.
    12-16-14 10:57 AM
    I tried changing the settings but nothing affects the MEID number so it has to be more than a settings. When I tried to activate it they didn't like the MEID number. I was told because it is 4g and they don't allow 4G phones on my pay as you go plan. It has to be 3G or I would have to get a plan for at least $30 a month. I know, you say big deal, but I pay about $5 a month for something that works well for me. I use Wifi all over the place for free. I am trying to replace my old crappy Motorola. I didn't try to go to the store to have them flash it yet. Maybe I have to.
    Lee
    12-16-14 10:59 AM
    I am not familiar with CDMA, but can't you activate the SIM card in other phone and move it to your Z10 later?

... Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1154 ...
    12-16-14 11:22 AM
    No you can't change the STL 100-4 to not use 4G... the ability to disable the 4G radio has been removed. (maybe it would be possible in the engineering screens...).

Have seen other post about prepaid services and people having issues with 3G Plans and the Z10 or Q10. You might want to search for those and see if there was a resolution to the problems.
    12-16-14 11:36 AM
    I tried changing the settings but nothing affects the MEID number so it has to be more than a settings. When I tried to activate it they didn't like the MEID number. I was told because it is 4g and they don't allow 4G phones on my pay as you go plan. It has to be 3G or I would have to get a plan for at least $30 a month. I know, you say big deal, but I pay about $5 a month for something that works well for me. I use Wifi all over the place for free. I am trying to replace my old crappy Motorola. I didn't try to go to the store to have them flash it yet. Maybe I have to.
    Lee
    It has absolutely nothing to do with your phone being 4G and the network only being 3G. My wife is currently using her factory unlocked (4G) Z30 and my mother is using a factory unlocked 4G Z10 on WIND in Canada despite that carrier only broadcasting on
    3G with no flashing or any other fiddling around. My mother's account is voice only PAYGO so the same as yours. The SIM sets the network, if the SIM can't detect 4G then your device will automatically default to 3G or even 2G depending on how the SIM's set up. I have no idea why someone's telling you differently.

I'll look into whether your device is compatible with your network, whether it can even connect in the first place, later if you'd like. In the mean time someone's not being entirely honest with you. If you speak to them again, ask them why if the SIM is only set for 3G that you're required to flash your device. Ask them what "flash" means, I'd be very interested to hear their response to both questions.
    12-16-14 11:40 AM
    Lots of links on flashing phones to page plus on Craigslist. That's actually where I heard about this whole 'flashing' thing

EDIT: I did a live chat with one of the sites that does flashing and they said Z10 is not supported as a 3g phone, you have to use it as a 4g and there is no flashing for that particular phone.

That stinks
    12-16-14 11:40 AM
    I was looking at flashing a Boost Moto G to use on Page Plus. Verizon is putting down the hammer on flashed devices with their MVNOs. They will not be allowed to be added to the network starting on 1/15/15. Current ones may be grandfathered in and it you ever take it off of the network, it will not be able to come back.
    12-16-14 12:20 PM