When device is locked, keyboard is disabled but trackpad remains enabled and subject to pocket-push. How can trackpad be disabled with keyboard?
    09-15-15 06:35 AM
    Trade it for a Q10? (Sorry, but I couldn't resist!)
    When device is locked, keyboard is disabled but trackpad remains enabled and subject to pocket-push. How can trackpad be disabled with keyboard?
    09-15-15 09:13 AM
    You can't. And the keyboard isn't disabled either.
    I use Pocketsafe http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59967056 and set it to zero delay and it has saved me a lot of trouble with pocket typing.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    Ragbert likes this.
    09-15-15 10:05 AM
    Thanks for a much better answer than mine was. :-)
    You can't. And the keyboard isn't disabled either.
    I use Pocketsafe http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59967056 and set it to zero delay and it has saved me a lot of trouble with pocket typing.
    09-15-15 10:18 AM
    Thanks for a much better answer than mine was. :-)
    I laughed at yours, it was funny lol.

Ragbert likes this.
    09-15-15 10:33 AM
    imo it's pretty lame that BlackBerry does not provide this *basic* functionality.

As I continue to use the Classic (which I think is a great device) I am less and less impressed with the user-interface BlackBerry has provided. It's basically single-instance, one copy of one app at one time, which is so much less than it could be that it borders on the disgusting.

As for PocketSafe, can you comment about the following (from one of its reviews)?

"I purchased the app with the hope that it would avoid unintended password entry in the locked screened model. It unfortunately happens far too often when jogging or biking, or just in the office. Unfortunately the app only turns on after unlocking the screen and it has mostly appeared when I didn't want it. I also noticed that when there is strong sunlight it could turn it on Hope the dev will fix these issues as it could be really useful "

Can't say I entirely understand what the reviewer is saying, but it doesn't seem to be working out for him.
    09-16-15 10:33 PM
    Just curious about why you think that? BB10 allows you to multi-task by being able to run several apps/functions at the same time. Apps can easily be minimised without closing,and brought into focus again on the desktop, or run silently in the background ("headless") without requiring user input.

e.g. While I'm typing this in the CB app, I have a browser open to an article I'm reading, and a BBM group chat active in the background which notifies me if there is any new input. A finger-swipe lets me peek into the Hub while I'm typing this as well, to glance at any new emails or txts, etc. All without having to close one app to open another.

What specifically are you missing - perhaps you just haven't explored the OS enough yet?

... As I continue to use the Classic (which I think is a great device) I am less and less impressed with the user-interface BlackBerry has provided. It's basically single-instance, one copy of one app at one time...

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.3.2.2339, Radio .2340
    09-17-15 02:37 AM
    Just curious about why you think that? BB10 allows you to multi-task by being able to run several apps/functions at the same time. Apps can easily be minimised without closing,and brought into focus again on the desktop, or run silently in the background ("headless") without requiring user input.

e.g. While I'm typing this in the CB app, I have a browser open to an article I'm reading, and a BBM group chat active in the background which notifies me if there is any new input. A finger-swipe lets me peek into the Hub while I'm typing this as well, to glance at any new emails or txts, etc. All without having to close one app to open another.

What specifically are you missing - perhaps you just haven't explored the OS enough yet?

Maybe you don't know what "single instance" means. Sure you can have multiple apps open at once, you just can't have multiple copies of the same app running at once. You can't edit one file, then minimize that copy of the editor, and go edit another file, so you have both open at once and can copy/paste between them.

The whole thing is just clumsier than hell imo. And crackberry isn't so great either, I made the mistake of visiting it from my phone and just about drowned in ads.
    09-18-15 05:31 AM
    Ahhh ok, I see what you're looking for. (I call that "single instantiation", subtle difference but obviously enough to confuse me haha)

Personally, even on my desktop where I edit a lot of HTML files, Word docs, spreadsheets etc - I still only use one instantiation of each program, and put the various docs I'm concurrently working on in tabs. So in BB10, using Docs To Go as an example (you never said which app you use to edit docs but I'll go with that for now), although there are no tabs for open documents (and yes I wish there were), you can pretty easily slide one doc or spreadsheet out of the way, and open another file to paste something, without having to close the program. It's not perfect by any means, but I prefer it to opening the whole program multiple times, which would use up a lot more memory, and make it harder to have other programs open as well. One of my wishes for the next Docs To Go update is to introduce tabs to hold open files, among which you can switch focus easily.

If you haven't yet, download the CB10 app from either BBW or Android. No ads, and you can read articles and post in the forums without opening a browser to the www site.

Maybe you don't know what "single instance" means. Sure you can have multiple apps open at once, you just can't have multiple copies of the same app running at once. You can't edit one file, then minimize that copy of the editor, and go edit another file, so you have both open at once and can copy/paste between them.

The whole thing is just clumsier than hell imo. And crackberry isn't so great either, I made the mistake of visiting it from my phone and just about drowned in ads.
    09-18-15 10:38 AM
    Ahhh ok, I see what you're looking for. (I call that "single instantiation", subtle difference but obviously enough to confuse me haha)

Personally, even on my desktop where I edit a lot of HTML files, Word docs, spreadsheets etc - I still only use one instantiation of each program, and put the various docs I'm concurrently working on in tabs. So in BB10, using Docs To Go as an example (you never said which app you use to edit docs but I'll go with that for now), although there are no tabs for open documents (and yes I wish there were), you can pretty easily slide one doc or spreadsheet out of the way, and open another file to paste something, without having to close the program. It's not perfect by any means, but I prefer it to opening the whole program multiple times, which would use up a lot more memory, and make it harder to have other programs open as well. One of my wishes for the next Docs To Go update is to introduce tabs to hold open files, among which you can switch focus easily.

If you haven't yet, download the CB10 app from either BBW or Android. No ads, and you can read articles and post in the forums without opening a browser to the www site.
    I'll need to look at DocsToGo some more. I only edit simple text files and since the DocsToGo default font is barely readable, there is no setting for default font, and turning on any other font requires the doc to be converted to some crapassed Microsoft format, I mostly haven't explored any additional features it might have. I purchased the Edit application and it's not great but at least you can set the font so you can read it.

Still hoping to hear more about PocketSafe, sounds like it's the only hope on the horizon. It's a pain in the *** frankly, my crummy droid used the power/lock key to disable the touchscreen and pocket-dial was never an issue.

Is the CB10 application an Android application? Ugh; I've been wondering how to turn off the ability to run Android crapplets. I mostly do my groups stuff online anyway.

Is there some "feedback" application that feeds direct to BlackBerry?
    09-21-15 01:53 PM
    The CB10 app is made for BB10 :
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/23281874

It's not perfect by a long shot, but the devs who currently maintain it read the comments about it in the forums*, and maybe once a year issue an update. And it's native to BlackBerry so it might be useful to you. (I'm typing on it now)
    * http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=932697

Android has its own CB app as well. Some people prefer it, but I tried it and ended up deleting it.

I'll need to look at DocsToGo some more. I only edit simple text files and since the DocsToGo default font is barely readable, there is no setting for default font, and turning on any other font requires the doc to be converted to some crapassed Microsoft format, I mostly haven't explored any additional features it might have. I purchased the Edit application and it's not great but at least you can set the font so you can read it.

Still hoping to hear more about PocketSafe, sounds like it's the only hope on the horizon. It's a pain in the *** frankly, my crummy droid used the power/lock key to disable the touchscreen and pocket-dial was never an issue.

Is the CB10 application an Android application? Ugh; I've been wondering how to turn off the ability to run Android crapplets. I mostly do my groups stuff online anyway.

Is there some "feedback" application that feeds direct to BlackBerry?

Last edited by Ragbert; 09-22-15 at 05:37 AM.
    09-22-15 05:27 AM
    imo it's pretty lame that BlackBerry does not provide this *basic* functionality.

As I continue to use the Classic (which I think is a great device) I am less and less impressed with the user-interface BlackBerry has provided. It's basically single-instance, one copy of one app at one time, which is so much less than it could be that it borders on the disgusting.

As for PocketSafe, can you comment about the following (from one of its reviews)?

"I purchased the app with the hope that it would avoid unintended password entry in the locked screened model. It unfortunately happens far too often when jogging or biking, or just in the office. Unfortunately the app only turns on after unlocking the screen and it has mostly appeared when I didn't want it. I also noticed that when there is strong sunlight it could turn it on Hope the dev will fix these issues as it could be really useful "

Can't say I entirely understand what the reviewer is saying, but it doesn't seem to be working out for him.
    There are different settings in the PocketSafe app to suit your needs, but if you just leave it set to default you'll still get issues like the reviewer was saying. It has a battery saving mode, so when you're using the phone in landscape mode, playing a game or what have you it doesn't interfere with what you're doing. Setting it to zero delay will prevent all pocket presses so you don't have to worry about it. The delay is what you want to experiment with to make it work the way you need it to.
    Having mine on zero delay, I can slip the phone in my pocket and not worry about it, even if I forget to turn off the screen before hand.

09-22-15 09:43 AM
    Installed PocketSafe this afternoon. Seems to work great if you don't bother locking the device before putting it in your pocket. OTOH if you lock the device you still get the unlock screen though the minute you press a key the PocketSafe display pops up. Not really what I want, but it helps. Thanks.

Have you tried the file manager offered by the same developer? I haven't, but find the stock file manager pretty anemic...

As for CB10, my thought is that I don't dare. The inconvenience of using the PC to participte here is a timesaver at the bottom line, if it was on-phone and convenient, I'd likely get nothing done at all. <g>
    09-23-15 08:54 PM
    No I haven't tried it. I bought the pro version of the Playcloud file manager. You can try it free here http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/136397

09-23-15 09:06 PM
    Glad PocketSafe works for you.

Wifi router: $100. Phone with BB10 : $300. Being able to post from my phone... priceless. 😊
    Installed PocketSafe this afternoon. Seems to work great if you don't bother locking the device before putting it in your pocket. OTOH if you lock the device you still get the unlock screen though the minute you press a key the PocketSafe display pops up. Not really what I want, but it helps. Thanks.

Have you tried the file manager offered by the same developer? I haven't, but find the stock file manager pretty anemic...

As for CB10, my thought is that I don't dare. The inconvenience of using the PC to participte here is a timesaver at the bottom line, if it was on-phone and convenient, I'd likely get nothing done at all. <g>

09-23-15 09:09 PM