I own hi-res (FLAC) music files that I store in OneDrive, using it like an old-fashioned shelf of albums. When I want to listen to an album, I copy it to my phone's SD card, then simply delete it from the card when I'm done listening to it on the phone.

My problem is that I'm not able to copy a folder from OneDrive. If I select a folder in the OneDrive app, I can't copy, save, or download it to any locations outside of OneDrive.

As far as I can tell, there is no app on my phone that I can use to connect to OneDrive and copy a folder to my Android. Coming from BB10, this seems ridiculous!

I can understand using a third party file manager for something more sophisticated, but it just seems ludicrous that I need a separate app to do something so very basic as copy a folder from a cloud server to my local storage?

Am I missing something, or do I need a third party file manager to grab an album off of OneDrive?

If that's the case, I guess I'll just tether it to my laptop via USB and move the file with Windows file manager (which means that my KEYone works the same as my 7 year-old PlayBook, but with worse sound!)
    11-20-17 05:26 PM
    Have you tried changing the OneDrive app permissions as mentioned here?
    https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forum...dia-on-android
    11-20-17 06:23 PM
    I own hi-res (FLAC) music files that I store in OneDrive, using it like an old-fashioned shelf of albums. When I want to listen to an album, I copy it to my phone's SD card, then simply delete it from the card when I'm done listening to it on the phone.

My problem is that I'm not able to copy a folder from OneDrive. If I select a folder in the OneDrive app, I can't copy, save, or download it to any locations outside of OneDrive.

As far as I can tell, there is no app on my phone that I can use to connect to OneDrive and copy a folder to my Android. Coming from BB10, this seems ridiculous!

I can understand using a third party file manager for something more sophisticated, but it just seems ludicrous that I need a separate app to do something so very basic as copy a folder from a cloud server to my local storage?

Am I missing something, or do I need a third party file manager to grab an album off of OneDrive?

If that's the case, I guess I'll just tether it to my laptop via USB and move the file with Windows file manager (which means that my KEYone works the same as my 7 year-old PlayBook, but with worse sound!)
    Well technically on BB10 you were using an app to do it. It just happened to be the preloaded file manager that had the capability. Your option here is to find a file manager that has the capability or maybe you can download the file onto you PC from onedrive then plug in device and drag and drop it.
    11-20-17 06:42 PM
    I use Solid Explorer file manager and also have Onedrive. It's a simple process to access and move/ copy from Onedrive to the SD card right from the file manager.
    11-20-17 06:47 PM
    What app do you use to play it on your phone? I can open a music file in Onedrive and have the option to play it in Google Play Music or the SE music player.
    11-20-17 06:51 PM
    Well technically on BB10 you were using an app to do it. It just happened to be the preloaded file manager that had the capability. Your option here is to find a file manager that had the capability or maybe you can download the file onto you PC from onedrive then plug in device and drag and drop it.
    Thanks. I do understand that everything that runs on top of the any OS with a user interface is technically an application. But, file management is generally considered to be a fundamental, built in component of an operating system.

It's not news that Google, for reasons unfathomable to me, didn't see the need to include a usable file manager with Android. But I do find it incredible that my PlayBook from 2011 is easier to copy music to than my KEYone.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    11-20-17 06:51 PM
    11-20-17 06:52 PM
    What app do you use to play it on your phone? I can open a music file in Onedrive and have the option to play it in Google Play Music or the SE music player.
    They are HUGE files, so streaming them is not an option. I want to copy them and at them.

11-20-17 06:52 PM
    Have you tried changing the OneDrive app permissions as mentioned here?
    https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forum...dia-on-android
    Thanks. I don't want to sync the fokders....just to copy them when needesd.

11-20-17 06:53 PM
    They are HUGE files, so streaming them is not an option. I want to copy them and at them.

So bite the Android bullet and download a file manager.
    11-20-17 06:56 PM
    I use Solid Explorer file manager and also have Onedrive. It's a simple process to access and move/ copy from Onedrive to the SD card right from the file manager.
    Thanks. I can't install a third party file manager unless I stop using my phone for work. That's a large part of my frustration. I blame this on Microsoft's OneDrive app not integrating properly with the Android file system.

11-20-17 06:57 PM
    Thanks. I do understand that everything that runs on top of the any OS with a user interface is technically an application. But, file management is generally considered to be a fundamental, built in component of an operating system.

It's not news that Google, for reasons unfathomable to me, didn't see the need to include a usable file manager with Android. But I do find it incredible that my PlayBook from 2011 is easier to copy music to than my KEYone.

Which is probably why they (Google) now have a file manager in beta on Android O.
    11-20-17 07:00 PM
    I use the DropBox app. It let's me see the DropBox files I have in the Cloud, but I can choose which one I want to download to my phone. Doesn't OneDrive work the same way?
    11-20-17 07:01 PM
    I use the DropBox app. It let's me see the DropBox files I have in the Cloud, but I can choose which one I want to download to my phone. Doesn't OneDrive work the same way?
    Yes but he's limited in what he can do because it's a work device. Probably should have said so to begin with.
    11-20-17 07:11 PM
    OneDrive will let me download files, but not FOLDERS. That's the problem. For music, it means the songs get disassociated from the albums.
    11-20-17 10:29 PM
    Yes but he's limited in what he can do because it's a work device. Probably should have said so to begin with.
    That's not quite accurate. It's a work device, but there are no hard restrictions on what I can load, since I set the policies. But I don't install any apps with unlimited permission to access files unless I have a signed agreement that details regarding the company's security and privacy policies that I believe protects me and my clients.

This isn't a problem for Microsoft and Google, but most third party apps are developed by small companies whose terms are very basic and don't protect me and my business.

I don't mind paying for the right product, but the security and privacy guarantees must be explicit, and their ownership structure has to create clear accountability in a jurisdiction where I have legal recourse.

Choosing apps from an app store based on reviews and recommendations is fine for consumers, but it's no way for companies to select critical components in their IT infrastructure that have permission to access sensitive information.

Most small developers don't even have a background in cybersecurity and have no process in place for assessing vulnerabilities in their products. I am only interested in apps that have been evaluated with FISMA standards and the Cybersecurity Framework in mind.

11-21-17 09:09 AM
    But, file management is generally considered to be a fundamental, built in component of an operating system.
    Says who though? Apple didn't have one for years and years, and Google STILL doesn't (really) have one.

But as far as the OneDrive app is concerned, you can go into a folder and select all the files very quickly (tap, tap, tap) and then save the whole lot to local storage.
    11-21-17 09:13 AM
    Says who though? Apple didn't have one for years and years, and Google STILL doesn't (really) have one.
    Well, if I can't navigate folders on various cloud servers, I can't really do much work on a mobile phone. Almost all of my clients organize their work in folders, and those folders contain many different file types.

If I can't, for example, copy a presentation folder twith several gigabytes of data (including video, csv files, images, Word, PowerPoint, PDFs, Excel, Python, R and SAS files, etc.) to my SD card for a conference quickly while on WiFi then I can't use my phone for the conference and presentation. I can do this easily on my PlayBook and BB10 phones. It really doesn't seem like an extravagant use case to me.

11-21-17 09:26 AM
    Well, if I can't navigate folders on various cloud servers, I can't really do much work on a mobile phone. Almost all of my clients organize their work in folders, and those folders contain many different file types.

If I can't, for example, copy a presentation folder twith several gigabytes of data (including video, csv files, images, Word, PowerPoint, PDFs, Excel, Python, R and SAS files, etc.) to my SD card for a conference quickly while on WiFi then I can't use my phone for the conference and presentation. I can do this easily on my PlayBook and BB10 phones. It really doesn't seem like an extravagant use case to me.

A file manager is critical for me too.

But the general consensus would probably not be on our side, and history shows that a capable file manager is not considered to be a fundamental component that comes with an OS.
    Last edited by conite; 11-21-17 at 09:45 AM.
    11-21-17 09:28 AM

But the general consensus would probably not be on our side.
    OK. I get that. But this isn't an edge case in the professional world. I am quite sure their are good solutions available.

I don't want to sync folders because that requires way too much overhead. I just want to copy them as needed and delete them locally when done, leaving the master on the server (where I only need read access from my phone.)

Tying files to apps limits interoperability, which takes us back to early computing models from the 1950s.

11-21-17 09:37 AM
    OK. I get that. But this isn't an edge case in the professional world. I am quite sure their are good solutions available.

I don't want to sync folders because that requires way too much overhead. I just want to copy them as needed and delete them locally when done, leaving the master on the server (where I only need read access from my phone.)

Tying files to apps limits interoperability, which takes us back to early computing models from the 1950s.

Yes, but you are taking most of the available solutions off the table. Generally, File Managers have always existed in the domain of third party developers.
    11-21-17 10:10 AM
    Yes, but you are taking most of the available solutions off the table. Generally, File Managers have always existed in the domain of third party developers.
    I'm fine with them being a third party, but they still have to meet the same basic criteria as every other application that is granted access to sensitive information.

11-21-17 12:04 PM

But the general consensus would probably not be on our side, and history shows that a capable file manager is not considered to be a fundamental component that comes with an OS.
    Google has a file manager in beta right now that will likely become what will be pre-loaded on android devices in the very near future.

Take a look at "Files Go Beta: Free up space on your phone"
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...apps.nbu.files
    Last edited by ray689; 11-21-17 at 07:03 PM.
    11-21-17 06:50 PM
    I'm fine with them being a third party, but they still have to meet the same basic criteria as every other application that is granted access to sensitive information.

Have you tried using a third party file manager that has access to cloud storage? Rather then just the one drive app? Similar to the file manager on BB10 which accessed cloud storage. There are some available already.
    Just checked Asus and you can add cloud storage with one drive being one of them. Try that. That is essentially all BB10 did.
    11-21-17 06:51 PM
    Have you tried using a third party file manager that has access to cloud storage? Rather then just the one drive app? Similar to the file manager on BB10 which accessed cloud storage. There are some available already.
    Just checked Asus and you can add cloud storage with one drive being one of them. Try that. That is essentially all BB10 did.
    Thanks. I agree that the limitation here is Microsoft's missing feature (copy folder) and that a third party file manager could address the technical issue. But I will need to review the security and privacy policies for the third party apps under consideration to see if any of them meet the necessary cybersecurity requirements the way that the OneDrive app does.

Unfortunately, a vulnerability in a third party file manager could become a critical threat vector, as happened here:

https://tools.cisco.com/security/cen...?alertId=33319

11-21-17 07:00 PM
44 12