Hi.

This is my first post here so apologies for sounding like a newbie. This is part comment and part question.

My comment is that in general terms, I am very impressed by the BBOS. It is better than other Android (Kitkat) that I have used in many ways. I like the keyboard and the screen. I have snap and am not really missing too much. I installed Instagram just for the hell of it really, as I never used it when I had an N5. That keeps crashing. Not sure why.

The thing I miss most is the maps. If you have never used Google Now it will be hard to understand how functional an N5 is. I used to leave work and switch my phone on and immediately know which route to take back home. It knows where you are and knows where you are going. The traffic data is so bloody accurate its like they are driving in the car in front. I admit that Google knowing so much about me bothered me after the NSA stuff (!) and was going to switch off the consents.

I have installed google maps and it works ok. How can I put a shortcut onto my home screen to navigate home using google maps?
    11-10-14 11:53 AM
    Hi.

This is my first post here so apologies for sounding like a newbie. This is part comment and part question.

My comment is that in general terms, I am very impressed by the BBOS. It is better than other Android (Kitkat) that I have used in many ways. I like the keyboard and the screen. I have snap and am not really missing too much. I installed Instagram just for the hell of it really, as I never used it when I had an N5. That keeps crashing. Not sure why.

The thing I miss most is the maps. If you have never used Google Now it will be hard to understand how functional an N5 is. I used to leave work and switch my phone on and immediately know which route to take back home. It knows where you are and knows where you are going. The traffic data is so bloody accurate its like they are driving in the car in front. I admit that Google knowing so much about me bothered me after the NSA stuff (!) and was going to switch off the consents.

I have installed google maps and it works ok. How can I put a shortcut onto my home screen to navigate home using google maps?
    Instagram doesn't work.... you can manually load an older version of Instagram (6.2.2) and it will work.

Google Maps if you are fine using the browser, just press the three dots on the bottom right and click "Add to Home Screen" to put a bookmark on your home screen.... but not sure if it will save any data you have inputted into Google Maps.

That is a tread here about getting Google Service and Google Maps to work.... but it requires so technical know how. Just do a search for Google Maps.
    11-10-14 02:00 PM
    Google Maps works straight from Snap, but you can't sign in to view your starred places. In order to do that you need to use Cobalt's patched Google login services.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=965257
    Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 02:35 PM
    You are right re: maps. To add insult to injury in my country maps even couldn't show found address points recently, and throw "Couldn't connect to server" error message.
    I use Nokia here map in browser for walking and Waze for driving.
    I wish for BlackBerry to get partnership with Nokia and get Here with offline maps.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 02:38 PM