I have recently replaced my Samsung A3 with a BlackBerry Key 2 LE. This new phone now rings for calls and sms using the speaker even when connected to headphones. That is obviously not very useful as I cannot hear the speaker when I have the headphones plugged into my ears and the phone is in my pocket.

How can I tell the phone to use the active speaker (rather than the built-in speaker) for ALL sounds (not just for music/media)?

I am now afraid that alarms will also be played using the main speaker even when I have headphones. My Samsung did that too for a while. It was an interesting experience when everyone on the train woke up except me when I had set an alarm to wake me just before my station!
    08-30-19 03:31 AM
    I have recently replaced my Samsung A3 with a BlackBerry Key 2 LE. This new phone now rings for calls and sms using the speaker even when connected to headphones. That is obviously not very useful as I cannot hear the speaker when I have the headphones plugged into my ears and the phone is in my pocket.

How can I tell the phone to use the active speaker (rather than the built-in speaker) for ALL sounds (not just for music/media)?

I am now afraid that alarms will also be played using the main speaker even when I have headphones. My Samsung did that too for a while. It was an interesting experience when everyone on the train woke up except me when I had set an alarm to wake me just before my station!
    Interestingly, I just had this conversation with a workmate. I was telling them that this was what all my phones did by default (play through the speaker when there was a phone call and not through the headphones). I actually liked it that way. So I didn't really give it another thought on how to reverse it.

The one thing that I do differently is that under Phone/Settings/Sounds and vibration, I also have Also vibrate for calls checked off.

I tried searching for an app solution, no dice yet.

I hope someone can provide a solution.
    Andrew Brehm likes this.
    08-30-19 10:03 AM
    Interestingly, I just had this conversation with a workmate. I was telling them that this was what all my phones did by default (play through the speaker when there was a phone call and not through the headphones). I actually liked it that way. So I didn't really give it another thought on how to reverse it.

The one thing that I do differently is that under Phone/Settings/Sounds and vibration, I also have Also vibrate for calls checked off.

I tried searching for an app solution, no dice yet.

I hope someone can provide a solution.
    I found it counterintuitive.

I assumed plugging in headphones would make all sound come out through the headphones. This is how all devices I knew had worked for decades, long before the current age of mobile phones. I think it's bad practice to change a paradigm.

But what was worse is that not only was the counterintuitive way chosen as the default but it was also made impossible to change, apparently. (My Samsung phone rang on the head phones but the clock's alarm came through the speakers instead.)

Problem is, you either have the headphones plugged in or not. This gives four possible combinations:

plugged in/rings via headphone: You can hear your music and the phone ringing

plugged in/rings via speaker: You can hear your music and other people can hear the phone ringing (and you, possibly, too).

not plugged in/rings via headphone: I imagine this is something Google are working on to annoy me even more in the future.

not plugged in/rings via speaker: You can header the phone ringing (presumably better or at least as well as other people).

The first and last is what I need. I don't get how people can live with the second. It makes no sense to me.
    08-30-19 10:15 AM