I'm not a social media or app user, my Classic does all but one thing I need, gives me the physical keyboard I like (despise touch screens), plus it prevents both Apple and Google from data-mining the crap out me..... LOL Being the treasurer for a chapter of a non-profit organization, I need to be able to accept credit cards using a mobile card reader from the PayPal mobile app "PayPal Here". It is only available for iPhones or Androids, some Windows phones, and certain iPads and other tablets.

Do any of you know of a way to accept credit cards using the Classic and any version of a mobile card reader...?

And since it looks like an Android Blackberry will likely be next for me, do those models have the same level of security that comes from a BlackBerry with a 10OS....? And since Verizon is willing to dis a very loyal customer from 1994 on, since they were Air Touch Cellular, by no longer carrying any BlackBerry phones, looks like I will have to move to a different carrier. Unless, of course, the come to their senses before the Classic croaks... It's doing just fine right now...

Thanks in advance for the assist....!!

theflyingturtle
    01-17-18 06:17 PM
    I'm not a social media or app user, my Classic does all but one thing I need, gives me the physical keyboard I like (despise touch screens), plus it prevents both Apple and Google from data-mining the crap out me..... LOL Being the treasurer for a chapter of a non-profit organization, I need to be able to accept credit cards using a mobile card reader from the PayPal mobile app "PayPal Here". It is only available for iPhones or Androids, some Windows phones, and certain iPads and other tablets.

Do any of you know of a way to accept credit cards using the Classic and any version of a mobile card reader...?

And since it looks like an Android Blackberry will likely be next for me, do those models have the same level of security that comes from a BlackBerry with a 10OS....? And since Verizon is willing to dis a very loyal customer from 1994 on, since they were Air Touch Cellular, by no longer carrying any BlackBerry phones, looks like I will have to move to a different carrier. Unless, of course, the come to their senses before the Classic croaks... It's doing just fine right now...

theflyingturtle
    Can you not sideload the Android version of the app you need?
    01-17-18 08:05 PM

theflyingturtle
    You can just buy the unlocked CDMA version and use it on Verizon. It works fine.

As far as security, your Classic hasn't gotten a meaningful update in a year or so. . .
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-17-18 10:27 PM
    You can just buy the unlocked CDMA version and use it on Verizon. It works fine.

As far as security, your Classic hasn't gotten a meaningful update in a year or so. . .
    This is correct. I missed the part about moving to Android. I use both Square and PayPal on Android/IOS. I tried using on BB10 with little success. I used 1Market for Android because needed apps weren't available native, ported or Amazon.

If you want a single device, consider the KEYone. I'm very happy with device and it's good with processing card payments on both Square and PayPal.
    01-18-18 07:13 AM
    Thank you. Good to know, except for the security stuff. Like everything else these days, no support for "older" items...... Story of our lives, isn't it..?
    01-18-18 03:06 PM
    At my age, seeming ignorant isn't fun, but can you explain the term "sideload"......? thanks much :0)
    01-18-18 03:08 PM
    Thank you, appreciate your help. Tech is great, but also SO very frustrating at times..... :0)
    01-18-18 03:20 PM
    Buy a KEYᴼᴺᴱ from Amazon or Best Buy that is the CDMA model, if you want to stay with Verizon.
    01-18-18 04:02 PM
    At my age, seeming ignorant isn't fun, but can you explain the term "sideload"......? thanks much :0)
    It simply means you'll have to manually download an app file, and install it.
    01-18-18 04:52 PM
    It simply means you'll have to manually download an app file, and install it.
    Which may still not work right. Time to upgrade for max function.
    01-18-18 05:16 PM
    When I first was using PayPal and Square to process cards for my business, I tried using sideloaded Android version apps on my Z30, Leap, Classic and Passport. I didn't have any luck since Apps ran slow or nothing period.

Others claimed success back then. Since, many apps for money related solutions, require higher level version of apps like Square and PayPal so they are even less apt to function properly.

I can't say for sure. Back then, my solution was cheap Android phone on $3/month prepaid or swapping my SIM card into cheap Android then moving back to my BB10 device. Once BBAndroid came out, I left BB10 and never looked back.
    01-18-18 05:26 PM