I use my Playbook to store movies on, then use the HDMI port to watch them on my TV.
    I've been looking at smart TV's, and then devices to make the regular TV's - smart. But I'd rather have this functionality to be mobile too.

What I want to know is, is the output as high resolution using a Z10 when compared to the playbook?
    Does the browser display Youtube well? I know the browser is excellent as I have a Passport.
    Is the Netflix app going to be as good quality as it could be on a Fire TV or a smart TV itself?
    Any lag?
    Is the sound quality good?

Also, what's Miracast like in comparison?

Any help appreciated, thanks

Mike

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 02:47 PM
    Smart TV's really are a waste of money. The apps for them rarely see updates and the cost difference to a standard TV with a Roku, Chromecast or other device is considerable.

http://www.howtogeek.com/176392/smar...nt-a-smart-tv/ This gives a decent overview of the issues.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 04:56 AM
    Thanks for the info. I would like a new TV but after reading that it may as well be a standard TV with a smart device plugged in.

I just want to know about the quality difference when using a Z10 and Playbook, especially since the Playbook does not have Netflix.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 09:18 AM
    In terms of the HDMI performance, there's not much of a difference. Both work very well and give a great picture, for Netflix, I don't know what your luck of getting a full screen picture will be as Android support seems to be hit and miss, but my Z10 is on a BES so I can't install Android apps at all and my Q10 only gives me a 1:1 ratio for Netflix. For videos on the device you'll need to long press the file and then choose Play on in the side menu and select HDMI to get your full output.
    04-17-15 03:10 PM
    Ya my TV cramped out at Christmas. I got a 60" lg for $600 just because it is not a smart tv it would have been 900+ if it was. And as for smart the I have a roku and apple tv( basically a Netflix box). Roku is way better. It has a usb port on the side will play most files. I have found a few mkv it didn't like. But I found resolution from playbook to the z10 pretty much the same

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 03:53 PM
    As far as I know, you can swipe from the top on the Q10 (like my Passport) and change the aspect ratio. I selected the portrait one and my Passport displays Netflix videos as it should and not in a 1 to 1 ratio, try that.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 06:22 PM
    Thanks for the advice, have been looking at both of those and apparently the Apple TV feels a little dated (plus, no slots for any outside of Apple sourced files). Would be nice to Airplay my iPad though. Roku and Fire TV are a better choice in many people's reviews and my opinion.

I'd like it to be portable though so I think I'll buy a second hand Z10, who knows I may fall in love with its form factor a little more than my Passport haha.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 06:30 PM