Some apps are telling me that they will not function pass 10-28-21. Thanks
    09-28-21 08:23 AM
    Some apps are telling me that they will not function pass 10-28-21. Thanks
    KEY² will be forever stuck on Android 8.1.

Although I'm curious as to what apps are telling you that they won't work on said OS in November.
    09-28-21 09:00 AM
    It is an app that I use for work, and another one that I use for photography.
    09-28-21 09:21 AM
    It is an app that I use for work, and another one that I use for photography.
    It is rare to see a developer ending support for Android 8.1 at this point.... but there are reasons to end some older API support. And in some markets it doubtful you'd find many phones stuck on Android 8 anyway... for the most part it would have to be a five or six year old phone to be stuck on Android 8.
    09-28-21 09:53 AM
    Odd considering Google is soon releasing an update through the Google Play Store that will push to Android devices going back to Android 6.0 Android 11 like application security features. (And even likely the more aggressive Android 12 hibernation like features)

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...e-to-android-6
    09-28-21 10:33 AM
    Odd considering Google is soon releasing an update through the Google Play Store that will push to Android devices going back to Android 6.0 Android 11 like application security features. (And even likely the more aggressive Android 12 hibernation like features)

I think they call it the Google app
    09-28-21 10:50 AM

Not really odd for a job related app requirement since many enterprise security regulations set requirement to current Android OS and previous version only (X-1) which is becoming Android 12 and 11 as minimum standard or Android 11 and 10 depending on IT professionals interpretation within a respective company.

Many financial institutions were forced several years ago to adopt Android 5.0 as minimum standard around 2017 due to specific regulations and protocols that only 5.0 and higher met. Currently, some institutions requirement 6.0 as minimum but 7.0 and 8.0 are becoming more common with latest app overhauls. I'm familiar with one institution that requires 10.0 even on the consumer side.
    09-28-21 10:56 AM
    Not really odd for a job related app requirement since many enterprise security regulations set requirement to current Android OS and previous version only (X-1) which is becoming Android 12 and 11 as minimum standard or Android 11 and 10 depending on IT professionals interpretation within a respective company.

Many financial institutions were forced several years ago to adopt Android 5.0 as minimum standard around 2017 due to specific regulations and protocols that only 5.0 and higher met. Currently, some institutions requirement 6.0 as minimum but 7.0 and 8.0 are becoming more common with latest app overhauls. I'm familiar with one institution that requires 10.0 even on the consumer side.
    Yeah I have a credit card app that is minimum Android 7 on Google Play.... few months from now they could move it up. Reality is may apps are made for certain markets, and in some markets there isn't as big of a gap in devices that are not "current". For the most part in the US, you'd have to have a old Galaxy S7 to be stuck on Android 8. And if Google has ended support for it, then that means there really is no safe way to service those customers. So yeah apps that require security - banking, credit card and enterprise apps, could easily drop Android 8 in the near term. Apps that are more worried about eyeballs... will keep supporting older versions.

What Google's doing going back to Android 6, isn't adding more security feature to the OS... they are just resetting permissions on apps so users have to at least consider if something should have access to their data - or maybe keeping apps from running in the background.
    09-28-21 11:39 AM

That doesn't help with security. It just bumps people to check the permissions they have already explicitly granted.
    09-28-21 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD