After a bit of googling I am 99% sure my Key2 (on the UK o2 network if that matters) has been hacked. About 10 days ago the battery started to go down super-fast, and the phone would get hot. It makes strange vibrating noises when I'm not doing anything with it; and tonight I got notification that I've used 80% of my phone's monthly data, in 12 days, when I've hardly used it at all.

My question for the community please is HOW do I tackle this issue? There's lots of stuff out there about recognising the problem, for which I'm very grateful - but how do you sort out the mess???

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    06-14-19 03:16 AM
    If you open the data usage it will tell you what has used up your data by apps etc. Have you downloaded any new apps lately, have you downloaded any from other places other than the playstore? That is the first thing I would look at. Sorry I can't be more helpful and hope you find the culprit.
    06-14-19 04:57 AM
    After a bit of googling I am 99% sure my Key2 (on the UK o2 network if that matters) has been hacked. About 10 days ago the battery started to go down super-fast, and the phone would get hot. It makes strange vibrating noises when I'm not doing anything with it; and tonight I got notification that I've used 80% of my phone's monthly data, in 12 days, when I've hardly used it at all.

My question for the community please is HOW do I tackle this issue? There's lots of stuff out there about recognising the problem, for which I'm very grateful - but how do you sort out the mess???

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    I can pretty much guarantee that you haven't been hacked.

But you may have downloaded an app that is grinding away.
    Hazo likes this.
    06-14-19 07:39 AM
    Thanks both.

I never download other than from App Store, and I hardly ever do that anyway. My usual data usage is about 2gb/month. Since this issue started this has leapt to 33gig in less than two weeks! The battery dies in 4-5 hours with me doing no more than a bit of email, a bit of WA and a couple of google queries. There is no record in my data of usage that adds up to anything remotely like that happening. And the phone is red hot. It kind of buzzes without any messages appearing. All of this points to hacking.
    06-14-19 07:57 AM
    you can tell if it's hacked only by examination of data flows (wireshark method). With everything you said, a factory reset and careful installation of only those apps you know and need, would be the safest way forward
    06-14-19 08:00 AM
    32 restart
    look at battery usage to pinpoint an app causing the issue.
    Delete you email accounts, reboot and recreate them.
    Delete your social apps, reboot and reinstall and setup again.
    Check for an update, make sure it's not stuck in an update loop.
    Clear cache on Google Play, Browsers and all other apps.

Factory Reset you phone.
    06-14-19 08:29 AM
    what does your battery page look like. I would suspect the app that is the culprit is at the top
    06-14-19 08:52 AM
    Thanks both.

I never download other than from App Store, and I hardly ever do that anyway. My usual data usage is about 2gb/month. Since this issue started this has leapt to 33gig in less than two weeks! The battery dies in 4-5 hours with me doing no more than a bit of email, a bit of WA and a couple of google queries. There is no record in my data of usage that adds up to anything remotely like that happening. And the phone is red hot. It kind of buzzes without any messages appearing. All of this points to hacking.
    You can install Glasswire for detailed data monitoring, tracks mobile as well as WiFi usgae and has usage limit alerts.
    06-14-19 09:27 AM
    OK. I did the 32 second thing and it seemed to help for a few days...then the problems started again. I was travelling so it wasn’t a great time to delete everything etc. Today, having seen mobile data usage in the first 12 hours of my ‘data month’ surpass my usual entire monthly usage I got help to trace the culprit app. It appears to be BlackBerry Hub and Services! So I uninstalled and reinstalled. New nightmare....the phone is still crazy hot and draining battery AND although I’ve got Hub set to include phone, messages and WhatsApp it’s just not appearing in the hub. I am seriously tearing my hair out. Not only am I no closer to solving the data and battery issues but I’ve also lost all that history in Hub.
    06-19-19 04:55 PM
    OK. I did the 32 second thing and it seemed to help for a few days...then the problems started again. I was travelling so it wasn’t a great time to delete everything etc. Today, having seen mobile data usage in the first 12 hours of my ‘data month’ surpass my usual entire monthly usage I got help to trace the culprit app. It appears to be BlackBerry Hub and Services! So I uninstalled and reinstalled. New nightmare....the phone is still crazy hot and draining battery AND although I’ve got Hub set to include phone, messages and WhatsApp it’s just not appearing in the hub. I am seriously tearing my hair out. Not only am I no closer to solving the data and battery issues but I’ve also lost all that history in Hub.
    Ok, would you be willing to completely disable the Hub+ Services app as well as the Hub app and use Gmail/Outlook or whatever e-mail client you have?
    06-19-19 04:59 PM
    Why and for how long?
    06-19-19 05:08 PM
    Why and for how long?
    To see if the Hub is the actual source of the problem. If the problem can be narrowed down, troubleshooting to find a solution will be much easier.
    06-19-19 05:17 PM
    I’ve already been there. Anyway, it’s already recorded BB Hub and Services as the culprit, so I don’t understand what can be gained from disabling it again?
    06-19-19 05:31 PM
    In the meantime how do I get back all my call, text and WA history into hub, because not having it there is causing me a lot of grief!
    06-19-19 05:37 PM
    Not sure if this Will help but which way do you have this hub setting switched. [ATTACH]null[/ATTACH]
    As you can see in the screen shot I have mine off and can still receive emails etc and conserve battery life.
    Attached Thumbnails Hacked KEY2-9822.jpg  
    Last edited by falbo; 06-20-19 at 03:42 AM.
    06-20-19 02:29 AM
    Not sure if this Will help but which way do you have this hub setting switched. [ATTACH]null[/ATTACH]
    As you can see in the screen shot I have mine off and can still receive emails etc and conserve battery life.
    BB Hub+ Services is already such a battery hog, I would never switch that toggle on
    06-20-19 11:02 AM
    BB Hub+ Services is already such a battery hog, I would never switch that toggle on
    I agree and that's what I was asking. Also wondering what the sync is set to in the hub settings as something is using up too much data.
    06-20-19 11:08 AM
    I agree and that's what I was asking. Also wondering what the sync is set to in the hub settings as something is using up too much data.
    The hub might make sense for someone who's got 3+ e-mail accounts, but I only use 1 hotmail and 1 gmail so I just use the dedicated apps, I don't like BB Hub+ Services in general lol
    06-20-19 11:11 AM
    I have a new nightmare to report. Since uninstalling and reinstalling BB Hub plus services and email accounts there is no content to the historic emails prior to the uninstall. Jeez. This is serious stuff. I’ve tried every setting I can think of, nothing makes any difference. Please help!
    06-21-19 05:32 AM
    And the delete function isn’t working either.....
    06-21-19 05:59 AM