So here we go, after months of struggle and nowhere to go for support I found you guys! As above, Google drive on my Priv cannot open any documents. The error message I see is "Unable to open the document. Please make sure you are connected to the internet." Trying again does the same thing. I have permissions, because I am the owner of the file. I am online, because if I click the "Open in browser" button, it will open in Chrome on the Drive website.
    05-19-17 07:17 AM
    Are you able to download the document? If you are, you can install Microsoft's apps and open it that way. I find them better than Google's stuff anyway.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pmanager&hl=en

You don't really even need this Manager, you can download only Word, Excel or whatever else you need.

Btw, you might try clearing Google Drive app's cache, that might help, and you can alternatively access Google Drive using a third-party file manager which has support for cloud storage. FX, Solid, or some other.
    Are you able to download the document? If you are, you can install Microsoft's apps and open it that way. I find them better than Google's stuff anyway.

You don't really even need this Manager, you can download only Word, Excel or whatever else you need.

Btw, you might try clearing Google Drive app's cache, that might help, and you can alternatively access Google Drive using a third-party file manager which has support for cloud storage. FX, Solid, or some other.
    05-19-17 08:35 AM

Agree here. I have all the Ms office apps installed. I don't have office365 license and they will still open. You can also install the google suite of "office" apps (google docs, etc). I haven't set a default so it asks me every time if I want to use MS or Google to open.

Now, I don't know about editing as I don't use my priv for that at this point. I am getting ready to switch my business to office365 setup so I will be able to login soon and have full functionality.
    Mirko935 likes this.
    05-19-17 08:41 AM
    Device SVT100-4 build AAK689
    ANDROID 6.01 Kernel 3.10.84

Things done
    Restart app, phone
    Uninstall app updates
    Check app permissions all on
    No defaults set
    Cleared cache, lifted to 500mb
    Cleared app data
    Enabled less secure apps
    Disabled encryption
    Turn off sync over WiFi only
    2 step verification off
    App connected to account checked
    Changed back language to English
    Reset network settings
    Update phone software
    Update Google drive
    Tried over different WiFi and mobile network
    Downloaded excel app.

Still no good. Do I just bin this phone as well since it is so old now? I'm so angry I can't explain, buy a ran down used car for this money for the fracture of new price and you can still run it in five years time...
    05-19-17 09:18 AM
    Still no good.
    You tap the three dot button next to your file's name n the Drive app. Press download. What happens?
    05-19-17 09:23 AM
    It does come down and excel opens it. Documents come down and open without word, too. Is this how it should work though?
    05-19-17 09:53 AM
    It does come down and excel opens it. Documents come down and open without word, too. Is this how it should work though?
    Well, I guess not and that it should open them, but I too had problems opening some documents in Google Drive as well as in Google Docs, that's why I installed Microsoft Word in the first place when I got fed up with those.

Btw, it has nothing to do with the phone itself, it's just that some Google apps are trying to do too much and end up doing nothing well.
    05-19-17 10:07 AM
    Ah ok so it's Google probably. It's just annoying that these phones are not cheap and there's no support provided by the parties involved, so I don't even know where should I go! Good to have forums like this, you guys keep half of the online world running, just sayin'. Thanks!
    05-19-17 10:13 AM
    You're welcome. If you run into any other problems you know where to ask.
    05-19-17 11:02 AM
    I have similar issues on my PC at work.
    I often have to download the Word or Excel file and open it on my PC with the Microsoft tool explicitly.

I does not take a very large Excel spreadsheet to confuse Google Sheets.

So, it's not the phone.
    john_v likes this.
    05-19-17 01:13 PM