I am new to the world of Blackberry and really love the simplicity and quality of my new 9900. I am having some major issues setting up my APN settings to get MMS and data working. I have a really basic LG flip phone that I was able to get MMS and data working on just fine, I assume a device like the 9900 that is a lot more advanced than that flip phone can handle MMS and data. But for the life of me I cannot get either working on the 9900. I have tried dozens of APNs in the TCP IP menu, but nothing will work. And as far as I can tell BB 7.1 has no option to adjust MMS settings either. This seems really odd to me. On my flip phone I used Red Pocket GSMA settings and they work fine with FreeUp mobile (my current carrier), but I can not get nothing to work on my BlackBerry which is a really big disappointment because I love the phone. Please help!!
    03-23-19 09:12 PM
    I am new to the world of Blackberry and really love the simplicity and quality of my new 9900. I am having some major issues setting up my APN settings to get MMS and data working. I have a really basic LG flip phone that I was able to get MMS and data working on just fine, I assume a device like the 9900 that is a lot more advanced than that flip phone can handle MMS and data. But for the life of me I cannot get either working on the 9900. I have tried dozens of APNs in the TCP IP menu, but nothing will work. And as far as I can tell BB 7.1 has no option to adjust MMS settings either. This seems really odd to me. On my flip phone I used Red Pocket GSMA settings and they work fine with FreeUp mobile (my current carrier), but I can not get nothing to work on my BlackBerry which is a really big disappointment because I love the phone. Please help!!
    Hi there. See this site: The Bold Explorer

Getting data working should be no problem. MMS is a much more complicated issue, as you will discover.
    03-24-19 09:47 AM
    I assume a device like the 9900 that is a lot more advanced than that flip phone can handle MMS and data.
    A lot more advanced back 8 years ago when it relied on proprietary data channel back to the BlackBerry Network Operations Centers (NOCs) and a dedicated data service from the carrier to make the connection.

That's the "BIS" that the article Shuswap linked to above is talking about. Also known as the BlackBerry Internet Service. AT&T offered it as their BlackBerry Data Plan. Other carriers called it something like that or just BIS.

While AT&T still has it, it's only available for their regular AT&T post-paid plans. Pre-paid and MVNOs (like FreeUP) don't get the option. And BIS is being shut down at the end of this year.

So, this whole "advanced" system of getting data to those phones was just a way to make BB money since they charged extra to offer BIS, and more for the corporate/enterprise version - BES (difference with BES being that data was run to whatever cooperate server the phones were tied to, for email and device management, instead of a central server in Waterloo that BIS ran through). Carriers didn't like that fee. Most passed that fee to the customer. AT&T and most other North American carriers did not charge more for BIS, but did for BES since, at that time, there were more BES customers than BIS, with corporate, government, and universities being big BES clients.

BB10 abandoned the BIS idea in favor of standard data channels straight to the carrier and then out to the world - like every other phone out there - including your LG flip phone.

While that article can help, I think MMS will be a lost cause without BIS. I don't know if your Bold is locked or unlocked, but that could hamper getting into the APN settings. The old BBOS phones relied on service books sent to it from the carrier based on what you have. And those service books set certain things up in the phone, like MMS settings, that you can't change without importing overriding service books - usually from another carrier that makes different changes. And that can work, until the phone ever reboots, re-logs into the network and re-downloads its service books.
    Shuswap likes this.
    03-24-19 10:55 AM
    That's the "BIS" that the article Shuswap linked to above is talking about.
    lol ... talk about being too familiar with the information.

I just updated the site to expand the acronym. Thanks for pointing that out!
    03-24-19 11:06 AM
    lol ... talk about being too familiar with the information.

I just updated the site to expand the acronym. Thanks for pointing that out!
    wasn't trying to be critical, but glad to help.
    03-24-19 11:20 AM