I see there are a few of these gaming phones and wanted to know how big of a market is that? I mean are people that heavy into gaming on a phone? If so how does it compare to us nitch qwerty guys ?

I feel like BlackBerry is always on the verge of being the Last BlackBerry BUT the real folks (even those still using BlackBerry 10) have stayed and stayed and will continue as long as it's supported.

so my question is
    How hard is it to build BlackBerrys on demand? No need to make 5 million units Maybe make 500,000 and watch them sell out and make more because the qwerty customers will wait.
    I never understood the profits/loss game lol. I remember they had a loss because they made way to many phones so how bout they do supply and demand
    Attached Thumbnails Gaming Phones VS QWERTY Phones-398527.jpg  
    10-16-19 07:30 PM
    Maybe make 500,000 and watch them sell out and make more because the qwerty customers will wait.
    That pretty much is what has happened. They sold about 600k KeyOnes and then hardly any after that because the average KeyOne owner is holding onto it for at least two years.
    10-16-19 07:40 PM
    I see there are a few of these gaming phones and wanted to know how big of a market is that? I mean are people that heavy into gaming on a phone? If so how does it compare to us nitch qwerty guys ?

I feel like BlackBerry is always on the verge of being the Last BlackBerry BUT the real folks (even those still using BlackBerry 10) have stayed and stayed and will continue as long as it's supported.

so my question is
    How hard is it to build BlackBerrys on demand? No need to make 5 million units Maybe make 500,000 and watch them sell out and make more because the qwerty customers will wait.
    I never understood the profits/loss game lol. I remember they had a loss because they made way to many phones so how bout they do supply and demand
    From what I've gathered, the licensing model depends on a user base of at least 5 million people who buy approximately 2 million devices every year.

Unfortunately, TCL was nowhere close to that. They've only sold about a million and a half units in over two years.

They can probably make a more boutique offering, sell 100,000 to 200,000 units every year, and charge $1500-$2000 a device. The question is, will that many people want to spend that kind of money.
    chain13 and Mecca EL like this.
    10-16-19 07:44 PM
    From what I've gathered, the licensing model depends on a user base of at least 5 million people who buy approximately 2 million devices every year.

Unfortunately, TCL was nowhere close to that. They've only sold about a million and a half units in over two years.

They can probably make a more boutique offering, sell 100,000 to 200,000 units every year, and charge $1500-$2000 a device. The question is, will that many people want to spend that kind of money.
    Or they could build PKB's without the hefty BB tax on the same assembly lines alongside their own branded phones and Alcatel and sell them under the TCL brand for cheaper.
    10-17-19 09:56 AM
    Or they could build PKB's without the hefty BB tax on the same assembly lines alongside their own branded phones and Alcatel and sell them under the TCL brand for cheaper.
    The question here was with reference to a BlackBerry device. It is certainly true that TCL could probably build something much cheaper without having to pay for the brand name or the software.
    10-17-19 09:58 AM

so my question is
    If calling it a gaming phone added $100s to the cost of the phone... I could see it being a "niche" issue. But this is basically a value flagship phone that is using the gaming moniker to promote their phones. All that for $479... plenty of non hard core gamers will buy it.

That isn't the same with the different form factor of the PKB, that adds to the cost. With TCL they had to cheapen up the hardware to cover the high cost of the software and the branding.
    vimagreg likes this.
    10-17-19 10:09 AM
    TCL could probably build something much cheaper without having to pay for the brand name or the software.
    Yup, brand name and software that almost no one cares about as we enter the next decade
    10-17-19 10:30 AM
    If calling it a gaming phone added $100s to the cost of the phone... I could see it being a "niche" issue. But this is basically a value flagship phone that is using the gaming moniker to promote their phones. All that for $479... plenty of non hard core gamers will buy it.

That isn't the same with the different form factor of the PKB, that adds to the cost. With TCL they had to cheapen up the hardware to cover the high cost of the software and the branding.
    This. Gaming phone is just a marketing name for a heavily powered device with some aggressive design, intended to conquer minds and pockets of everyone who feels boring with regular devices and designs. So, much bigger demand for these kind of devices - actually I know some people who carries them. I think there's demand for PKB devices as well, but equally well powered PKB devices. My main problem with BB Android models always was they did have, always, a mediocre hardware to say the least, priced at the level of a lot of very better flagships. They used to be more secure, to have better batteries, bla bla. Well, that's no longer the case, so, as expected, PKB devices are dead. Again. Thanks to BB. Again. If only Samsung come back to selling that PKB cases again, I would be satisfied. Kind of...
    10-17-19 10:31 AM
    This. Gaming phone is just a marketing name for a heavily powered device with some aggressive design, intended to conquer minds and pockets of everyone who feels boring with regular devices and designs. So, much bigger demand for these kind of devices - actually I know some people who carries them. I think there's demand for PKB devices as well, but equally well powered PKB devices. My main problem with BB Android models always was they did have, always, a mediocre hardware to say the least, priced at the level of a lot of very better flagships. They used to be more secure, to have better batteries, bla bla. Well, that's no longer the case, so, as expected, PKB devices are dead. Again. Thanks to BB. Again. If only Samsung come back to selling that PKB cases again, I would be satisfied. Kind of...
    I've ran into a few KEYBerry's in the wild, but never ever saw a single ROG or Razor phone.
    10-17-19 11:45 AM
    I've ran into a few KEYBerry's in the wild, but never ever saw a single ROG or Razor phone.
    That's different from country to country, I guess. Here, in Brazil, I don't see a single BlackBerry for some years now, and I know a lot of people who used to have one. But these gaming phones, mainly that ROG phone, I see a lot.
    10-21-19 11:38 AM