Has anyone been able to successfully connect to the Freedom Mobile LTE network (Band 4) in Ottawa with a Blackberry Keyone? If so, please tell me what I need to do to allow this to happen.

I feel like I have all the pieces of the Puzzle:
    1. Compatible phone for Band 4
    2. Band 4 Network in my neighbourhood
    3. LTE Everyone 59 Plan

I surely cannot be the only person attempting this. Thank you for your time.
    08-09-17 11:29 AM
    No you aren't the only person attempting this..... which is why there are a number of thread on the KEYone not working on Freedom Mobile LTE.

Most of what I saw with a quick search indicates it's more of an issue with Band 66 and not Band 4.
    08-09-17 11:50 AM
    No you aren't the only person attempting this..... which is why there are a number of thread on the KEYone not working on Freedom Mobile LTE.

Most of what I saw with a quick search indicates it's more of an issue with Band 66 and not Band 4.
    Because Band 4 is only in Ottawa for now. Everywhere else that Freedom has LTE (Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver) is Band 66, which is unsupported on the KEYone.

Has anyone been able to successfully connect to the Freedom Mobile LTE network (Band 4) in Ottawa with a Blackberry Keyone? If so, please tell me what I need to do to allow this to happen.

I feel like I have all the pieces of the Puzzle:
    1. Compatible phone for Band 4
    2. Band 4 Network in my neighbourhood
    3. LTE Everyone 59 Plan

I surely cannot be the only person attempting this. Thank you for your time.
    Have you tried contacting Freedom?
    08-09-17 12:01 PM
    Yes, I have tried contacting Freedom both through Social Media (Facebook Messenger) and Via Technical Support.

The Social Media end can't really do much tech support although they've been really kind so far.

The technical side wont allow me to speak with a Tier 2 Tech Agent because the Tier 1 Support Staff I've spoken to mentioned that because my phone isn't on her "LIST of LTE Devices", she can guarantee it doesn't work.

I understand the issues are with Band 66 (which is not Ottawa). I am living in Ottawa where the Freedom LTE network coverage is on frequencies classified under Band 4.

The Keyone I have is an unlocked version from Rogers (I have already checked the specifications and tech details) and there should be no issues in terms of frequencies supported by the phone's antenna's.

I am aware of the fact that people are unable to get their Keyone's working on Band 66. I am wondering has anyone been able to have a successful Band 4 connection in Ottawa specifically for LTE. I am also aware that the 3G works fine as well.

Thank you for your responses and any additional help anyone can offer.
    08-09-17 12:12 PM
    In fact, a conversation I had on Facebook Messenger with the helpful staff member has told me that she believes it should work, even without the Simcard upgrade as it is on the Band 4 Network. I'm not sure if this is true, but I am going to stop by a Warranty Store to get the sim replaced today.

But if anyone can give me any insight otherwise, I would be most grateful.
    08-09-17 12:15 PM
    (I'm cross posting this from a Reddit Thread I made too. I just want to get the word out that you can indeed use the Keyone in Ottawa with LTE Services) - https://www.reddit.com/r/freedommobi...one_in_ottawa/

So, in the end, I did get it to work.

I'll explain what happened, but I'll also explain how to get it done:

I've had an unlocked Blackberry Keyone (originally from Rogers; bought it from a dude off Kijiji) for about two weeks now.

Anyway, here's the story:

Just before going to bed last night, I decided to switch over to the 59 Everywhere LTE plan. I started with Wind Mobile in November 2013 with a $30 Plan and was initially reluctant to let that go because of the price. Although the plan did not provide the fastest speeds on a reliable network, it provided the services I needed in a basic manner and I didn't complain because of the price bracket.

I had guessed the service would not work immediately as I did not have a new "LTE Simcard", but I was pretty sure I could fix that by going into a store the next day and replacing my old simcard with a new simcard then fiddling around with the settings on my phone.

After waking up and following my morning routine, I decided to message Freedom Mobile on Facebook and asked what the steps were for me to get my Blackberry Keyone on the LTE network with Freedom Mobile in Ottawa.

Now, I had done plenty of research by this point and I was aware that although the Keyone did not support Band 66, it did support Band 4 for LTE, specifically in the Ottawa region. And of course I've read numerous threads on how people were able to connect a phone not on the "approved list" and had no issues with their LTE service with Freedom Mobile.

I, however, could not find anything related to the Keyone. I've only heard rumours that it was potentially possible.

I received a message back on Facebook from a representative by "M.W". He/She was polite, went the extra mile to Google information for me and also asked his/her coworkers if what I had in mind with the Keyone on LTE with Freedom was possible. M.W. said it was possible but I would need to call technical support as it was not His/Her area of expertise.

Cool. So I call up a Tier 1 support customer service representative and explained my situation.

Ada, told me to hold on the phone so she could check if my phone was compatible. By this point, I already knew she sounded unfamiliar with what I was trying to ask. She came back on the phone 20 seconds later to explain to me that my phone was not on the approved list she has in her hand and how it will NOT work with Freedom Mobile LTE. She started reading off the list of the phones that will work with FM LTE. I could feel a vein popping in my head. In my mind, I was trying to tell myself to keep my sh*t together and maybe I'll find an answer through her.

I tried to explain to her how the different frequencies and band numbers worked and how the Keyone should technically work on the network in Ottawa with Band 4. I could understand why someone would say it would generally not work, as it does not have Band 66 hard configured on the antennas of the cell phone.

But I digress, she was extremely stern in her mannerism to let me know that my Keyone would not work, and then she started listing the phones that did work again.

AM I TALKING TO A F*CKING COMPUTER? Jesus christ lady, I know how communication signal lines work and how different waves work. I studied physics, chemistry and mathematics. GTFO of here! (Ari Goldkind style).

I actually didn't blow up on her, but I realized this conversation was going nowhere.

I was enraged by the fact she started just repeating the same jargin that she is scripted to say.

By that point, I asked if I could speak to a Tier 2 Technical Support Staff because she had no clue how to solve the predicament I was in.

She said she was unable to because my problems were solved by her answer of her knowing for sure it didn't work. I knew she didn't know the technical stuff, but she was also being impolite about the process. I just wanted to speak to someone that knew their sh*t and probably studied some form of electromagnetic wave theory or just had a hobbying interest of cell phone signals.

She said it was pointless for me to speak with a Tier 2 agent because they would repeat the same thing.

I said thanks, got her name, Ada, and the Reference # C32112752 for the call and hung up.

I was in the middle of finishing my lunch and I messaged M.W. on Facebook again letting them know what happened. He/She told me that all they could do was refer me to the technical support staff.

I said okay, thank you for your help and I decided to start up my car and drive over to the FM Warranty and Sales Shop on 2121 Carling Avenue.

I was greeted by a nice guy who immediately knew what I was talking about when I explained my situation. He said he had a colleague who actually had a Blackberry Keyone working on LTE in Ottawa.

He switched out my simcard, then told me I had to download an app from the Google Playstore called "4G Lte Switch".

Once that was downloaded and the new sim was popped in, he went into the settings of the newly downloaded app and changed the Preferred Network Type settings to : LTE/WCDMA.

Without restarting the phone, the LTE beside 4G on the top of my phone screen popped up.

Kudos to you dude!

All in all, I am just extremely frustrated I was essentially lied to by a Tier 1 Support Staff, but I was also happy that there were staff members who were willing to help and go the extra mile. I did not give up on this quest and I'm glad I didn't. I'm just sorta pissed because I've been a long time customer (4 years) and everyone else is getting the 35% off with FF discount as a new customer (I get it: Shaw needs more customers and money), but I grabbed the short end of the stick with a lady who told me my phone would not work and having to pay the full price for a service that people who aren't loyal aren't getting. Even the offer they had for "Loyal Customers from Wind" was a complete joke.

Anyway, I thank you for reading this and if you have any issues with getting your phone working on the LTE, do some research yourself and ask multiple people like you do with own health. You guys do ask multiple doctors right? Peace.
    08-09-17 02:40 PM