So I am switching to T-Mobile, decided to get a cheaper phone for now and maybe upgrade next year. Decided on the 9900 which said it was the first "4G" but now I am reading it is not 4G LTE but more like 3G+

Any experience/tests on this? Will I notice using the TMo 4G LTE data plan?
    Was there a software update that upgraded the speed?

I don't stream a lot but was planning on using a phone just for tethering, mostly surfing research and YouTube.

And if all the above is a no, any recommendations for the least expensive 4G LTE BB?
    09-25-14 07:43 PM
    Looks like no one is watching YouTube on a 9900? Going to at one off Craigs list tomorrow and I can ask the owner. Looks like it will be the version that cannot access Androd apps, comments on if I can replace the OS appreciated.

TMo sale ends Tuesday. Decisions decisions!
    09-27-14 12:29 AM
    Looks like no one is watching YouTube on a 9900? Going to at one off Craigs list tomorrow and I can ask the owner. Looks like it will be the version that cannot access Androd apps, comments on if I can replace the OS appreciated.

TMo sale ends Tuesday. Decisions decisions!
    No way to use android apps on a BBOS phone. Only BB10 phones have the android runtime. And the 9900 supports up to H+, no LTE.

You could probably get a Q5 or Z10 for about the same price as the 9900

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 12:41 AM
    Bold9900 is a pre-LTE phone.
    Q10 is the first phone with LTE
    I have both. I can watch youtube vids on Bold, when it shows 3G or H+ (3G+/HSPDA) but not when EDGE (E)...
    I suggest Q10 for faster Internet connection ability...

Does your provider/town have 4G/LTE??
    Even in Germany 4G/LTE is not always vailable in all areas!!!

I suggest to check out your provider map!
    It looks like this:
    Attachment 300917
    If your area is not included, you don't need to buy a LTE phone (but you'll have a faster browser anyway because of the "ability")

Your choice! Cheers ;-)
    09-27-14 12:59 AM
    About tethering...
    Only Bold 9900 (or any bold?) using OS 7.1 and higher have a mobile hotspot.

When you get the Q10, you don't need a PC... it does "every thing"... I use the PC only to backup my phone.

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    09-27-14 01:08 AM
    dna47 - Oh gosh thank you so much for confirming! Sounds like you two are not in the US. I was looking on Craigslist where there are several 9900's for $100. Everything else seems to be in the $200 range which was out of my budget but at least I know it would have not been worth it if it was BB10.

Now I know what to look for, thanks again!

anischab - Thank you for the OS information,You have filled in the blanks about the BB10 abbreviation. now I know what to look for!

FYI I LOVE the Q10 it's just out of my price range presently. I can get 9900's for about $80-100 on Craigslist here in the US in my area and I am buying two, one for my sister We also have a Q5 model which looks like a 4G/LTE but again about $200/250 Amazon/new and you can't find any in the classifieds.

I am signing up for T-Mobile on Monday and it's a 4G/LTE contact that it available in my area. I thought maybe a 3G phone would be good enough until I could afford a 4G/LTE phone but wasn't sure.

What' is your experience using 3G and watching YouTube videos? Does it ever freeze on long 60 minute videos?
    Did your 9900 Bold come with OS 10 pre-loaded? Do you know if I find a 9900 w/o BBOS/BIS 10 if I can wipe and load OS10 on it?
    Last edited by treobbfan; 09-27-14 at 10:24 AM.
    09-27-14 10:00 AM
    Don't buy a 9900.

I've been working with BlackBerry Enterprise system Integration for about 8 years and have used most devices from BlackBerry.

As you know there are two generations of BlackBerry operating systems: BB OS (latest is 7.1) and BB 10 (latest is 10.3).

These are two completely different beasts. BB OS is not being maintained anymore and you should only buy one if you need fast, simple communication. The os will require you to reboot after installing apps and to reset the OS. BB OS is buggy. Some people don't ever notice issues while others are very tired of it.

BB OS is what most people remember as a BlackBerry.

BlackBerry 10 is completely new and a very modern os. No reboots and very innovative. Try to find a used Q10 for a fair price. Just be aware of a double typing issue on this model which light require the keyboard to be replaced. Alternatively a Q5 although the build quality is much cheaper.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 03:13 PM
    Bold 9900 does not surrport BB10!!!
    It runs 7.1
    You can watch you tube, sure, but you'll be really really disappointed about the Apps!

Try to get a Q10... honestly!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    09-27-14 03:21 PM
    dna47 - Oh gosh thank you so much for confirming! Sounds like you two are not in the US. I was looking on Craigslist where there are several 9900's for $100. Everything else seems to be in the $200 range which was out of my budget but at least I know it would have not been worth it if it was BB10.

Now I know what to look for, thanks again!

anischab - Thank you for the OS information,You have filled in the blanks about the BB10 abbreviation. now I know what to look for!

FYI I LOVE the Q10 it's just out of my price range presently. I can get 9900's for about $80-100 on Craigslist here in the US in my area and I am buying two, one for my sister We also have a Q5 model which looks like a 4G/LTE but again about $200/250 Amazon/new and you can't find any in the classifieds.

I am signing up for T-Mobile on Monday and it's a 4G/LTE contact that it available in my area. I thought maybe a 3G phone would be good enough until I could afford a 4G/LTE phone but wasn't sure.

What' is your experience using 3G and watching YouTube videos? Does it ever freeze on long 60 minute videos?
    Did your 9900 Bold come with OS 10 pre-loaded? Do you know if I find a 9900 w/o BBOS/BIS 10 if I can wipe and load OS10 on it?
    Au contraire, it's worth it if it's Bb10. I think a BB10 phone would suit your need way better than a BBOS phone. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 9900, but 3 years ago!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 01:13 AM
    Thanks jpvj I didn't know but I do now.

I was given a Curve waaaay back in 2004? for work but didn't know the in's and out's of the OS.
    Sounds like you cannot upgrade the OS to BB10 on any old 9900 and Q5 or Q10 is my best bet.

Appreciate it!
    09-29-14 01:28 PM
    thanks again anischab and dna47

Sounds like it might be different between the US and Germany with an option for BB10 or BBOS on the Bold.
    I am sort of on the fence with the apps but I know I will find some very useful. Shopping for 2 phones today (me and sis) so will see what I can get for a good price.

Thanks again! This is a great community and I am learning a LOT!
    09-29-14 01:32 PM

Sounds like it might be different between the US and Germany with an option for BB10 or BBOS on the Bold.
    I am sort of on the fence with the apps but I know I will find some very useful. Shopping for 2 phones today (me and sis) so will see what I can get for a good price.

Just to clarify, you can't have BB10 on a Bold, try getting a Z10(about $200 new, I bet you can find a used one for $150) it's really a good phone(except for battery life which is not great)

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 01:37 PM

I can guarantee you that there no option on the bold to have bb10. It's OS7 or 7.1, but no bb10.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 01:38 PM
    I can guarantee you that there no option on the bold to have bb10. It's OS7 or 7.1, but no bb10.

Posted via CB10
    100% correct. It's impossible v

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 11:01 PM