I've been experiencing more and more problems with my Z30 over the last several months. I've reached the inescapable conclusion that I need to do a factory reset and start from scratch.

I've already done a back up.

What's the recommended procedure for doing the reset. Is it doing a security wipe from the device itself or using the "reload device software" from Link?

Thanks!

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    09-07-15 06:50 PM
    Here's what BlackBerry has to say: How to perform a Security Wipe on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone

How to perform a Security Wipe on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone

Article Number: 000033591| First Published: August 15, 2015 | Last Modified: August 27, 2015 | Type: Support|

Environment •BlackBerry 10 OS

Overview

To delete all data, applications, and media from the BlackBerry 10 smartphone, complete the following steps.

Warning: The following procedures will delete all data, applications, media (including files and pictures/video taken on the smartphone or transferred from a computer), and revert all settings to defaults on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone. Back up the data on the smartphone before proceeding. For instructions on performing a backup of the smartphone, refer to BlackBerry Link User Guide.

To perform a security wipe on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone, complete the following:

Note: Ensure that the BlackBerry 10 smartphone is plugged into a power source to prevent power loss during the security wipe process.
    1.Swipe down from the top of the home screen and tap Settings.
    2.Tap Security and Privacy > Security Wipe.
    3.Enter the word blackberry in the text field to confirm that you wish to continue with the Security Wipe.
    4.Tap Delete Data to intiate the security wipe process.
    Note: The security wipe process can take in excess of 15 minutes to complete. During the Security Wipe it is extremely important that the operation is left to complete on it's own. For information on expected time to perform a security wipe see KB33494.

Warning: Do not attempt to restart the smartphone or pull the battery until the security wipe has fully completed. If the security wipe is interrupted (for instance, if the battery is removed during the process), then the BlackBerry 10 OS may need to be reloaded. For instructions on reloading a BlackBerry 10 smartphone after an interrupted Security Wipe see KB33480.

Once the security wipe has completed, the initial setup will need to be completed before the smartphone can be used.

Additional Information

When completing a security wipe, applications purchased through BlackBerry World will be deleted from the smartphone, but will still be associated to the BlackBerry ID they were purchased with. To reinstall these applications:
    1.Open BlackBerry World.
    2.Select the Uninstalled tab.
    3.Locate the desired application in the list and tap the Reinstall button next to the application.

For steps to delete all data and applications from BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry 6 to 7.1 or BlackBerry Device Software 4.5 to 5.0, see KB14058.
    09-07-15 07:09 PM
    Here's what BlackBerry has to say: How to perform a Security Wipe on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone

How to perform a Security Wipe on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone

Article Number: 000033591| First Published: August 15, 2015 | Last Modified: August 27, 2015 | Type: Support|

Environment •BlackBerry 10 OS

Overview

To delete all data, applications, and media from the BlackBerry 10 smartphone, complete the following steps.

Warning: The following procedures will delete all data, applications, media (including files and pictures/video taken on the smartphone or transferred from a computer), and revert all settings to defaults on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone. Back up the data on the smartphone before proceeding. For instructions on performing a backup of the smartphone, refer to BlackBerry Link User Guide.

To perform a security wipe on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone, complete the following:

Note: Ensure that the BlackBerry 10 smartphone is plugged into a power source to prevent power loss during the security wipe process.
    1.Swipe down from the top of the home screen and tap Settings.
    2.Tap Security and Privacy > Security Wipe.
    3.Enter the word blackberry in the text field to confirm that you wish to continue with the Security Wipe.
    4.Tap Delete Data to intiate the security wipe process.
    Note: The security wipe process can take in excess of 15 minutes to complete. During the Security Wipe it is extremely important that the operation is left to complete on it's own. For information on expected time to perform a security wipe see KB33494.

Warning: Do not attempt to restart the smartphone or pull the battery until the security wipe has fully completed. If the security wipe is interrupted (for instance, if the battery is removed during the process), then the BlackBerry 10 OS may need to be reloaded. For instructions on reloading a BlackBerry 10 smartphone after an interrupted Security Wipe see KB33480.

Once the security wipe has completed, the initial setup will need to be completed before the smartphone can be used.

Additional Information

When completing a security wipe, applications purchased through BlackBerry World will be deleted from the smartphone, but will still be associated to the BlackBerry ID they were purchased with. To reinstall these applications:
    1.Open BlackBerry World.
    2.Select the Uninstalled tab.
    3.Locate the desired application in the list and tap the Reinstall button next to the application.

For steps to delete all data and applications from BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry 6 to 7.1 or BlackBerry Device Software 4.5 to 5.0, see KB14058.
    Does doing a security wipe do the same thing as "reload device software" through link?

Last edited by crazigee; 09-07-15 at 07:47 PM.
    09-07-15 07:16 PM
    Yes, I understand that doing a Reload in Link is the same as a Security Wipe which leaves you with a fresh installation of the OS. You then have the option of restoring your settings from your Backup done with Link or setting things up again by yourself. You will also need to re-install any apps you had before.
    09-07-15 08:02 PM
    Does doing a security wipe do the same thing as "reload device software" through link?

No. It's two completely different things and security wipes take too damn long.
    Depending on which OS you're on you may wish to skip link restore and download an autoloader. The newest one 2639 works really well. Using an autoloader will wipe your phone just like a security wipe but in less time and it'll install a fresh copy of the OS.
    There's nothing wrong with using link restore if that's what you want to do tho.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    09-07-15 08:06 PM
    So then what exactly is the difference between a security wipe done on the phone and a reload device software with Link?
    09-07-15 10:20 PM
    So then what exactly is the difference between a security wipe done on the phone and a reload device software with Link?
    For example if your device on 10.3.2.2639 if you do security wipe via phone the os stay at 2639
    If you do device software with link and the latest available is 10.3.2.2339 the phone will be downgrade to 10.3.2.2339
    09-07-15 10:25 PM
    So then what you are saying is that if you do a security wipe on the phone, it will be restored to the current version OS on the phone? And, if you do a reload device software with Link you download and install the latest official version of BB10 from your carrier or BlackBerry?

Then if you last updated your device from your carrier, a device wipe and a Link reload would accomplish the same thing?

But if you installed a leaked version and then did a Link reload you would revert to the latest official version available to you?
    09-07-15 10:40 PM
    I just did this on Sunday. I was in the same boat as you. Z30 was acting really weird. I followed this guide from BB:

How to clean reload the BlackBerry 10 OS or BlackBerry PlayBook OS using BlackBerry Link

After hitting the 'Reload' button, Link prompted me to disconnect my phone from the PC, which I did. At that point it performed a security wipe. It was not what I was expecting as I read here previously that a security wipe and OS reload were different things. A security wipe apparently does not reinstall a fresh copy of the OS (or so I was told). Anyhow, my phone is working much better now. I did a custom restore in Link and only put back the apps that I really wanted/needed and left off a lot of other stuff I accumulated. Of note, after the security wipe finished and I restarted the phone, I was prompted to go through the initial setup again so may be a new copy of the OS was installed?
    09-07-15 10:44 PM
    So then what you are saying is that if you do a security wipe on the phone, it will be restored to the current version OS on the phone? And, if you do a reload device software with Link you download and install the latest official version of BB10 from your carrier or BlackBerry?

Then if you last updated your device from your carrier, a device wipe and a Link reload would accomplish the same thing?

But if you installed a leaked version and then did a Link reload you would revert to the latest official version available to you?
    Yep that's why if you on 10.3.2 and your carrier still on 10.3.1 you can't use link to do device reload software will softbrick your phone
    09-07-15 10:46 PM
    Here is the thread I started on this a while ago. Hope it helps:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...fresh-1008162/

Edit: I'll just add that the security wipe took about 40 minutes to complete on my device. I had approx 11 of 16 GB used up if that even matters.

My phone is a lot smoother now. Android apps load faster and work better. One of them is still laggy like before though. My voice assistant actually work again too! After the 10.3.2 update she stopped replying to me over bluetooth.
    09-07-15 10:51 PM