As much as I love my Priv, I have seen a sharp Support drop to the Priv the last few months. The monthly updates drag and the fixes for the apps never happen that makes me wonder if we are seeing the end of Priv.

How many still think the Priv will live for another year and what do you think about software and app Support to the Priv will be in the coming days. Share your views.

Edited 03/27/2017:

I do get the monthly updates and the app updates. But the major issue is Android N support.
    Last edited by raj1802; 03-27-17 at 06:32 AM.
    03-26-17 06:41 PM
    Support as in what exactly?

Where are you located where you aren't getting the monthly updates? I still get mine on a monthly basis.

I don't know what the future hold for the Priv. It's coming on two years since release. I wouldn't be surprised for one more major software update and that's it.
    03-26-17 06:49 PM
    I got the March security update within 4 days of the Google bulletin. Plus the apps are updated at least once, if not twice, a month.
    gizmo21 likes this.
    03-26-17 07:00 PM
    Still getting the monthly security updates (although) only received the March update on 20th. The only thing Is I've noticed is a huge drop in the battery. Had mine for about a 10 months now so I guess the battery is starting to deteriorate. I had a nexus phone that only lasted 6 months before the battery was gone. Guess nothing I can do knowing the battery is only going to get worse. Really miss the replaceable battery phones.
    03-26-17 07:12 PM
    I'm still getting regular app updates and even from Verizon the monthly security updates have been rolled out regularly since we got marshmallow
    03-26-17 07:43 PM
    Still getting the monthly security updates (although) only received the March update on 20th. The only thing Is I've noticed is a huge drop in the battery. Had mine for about a 10 months now so I guess the battery is starting to deteriorate. I had a nexus phone that only lasted 6 months before the battery was gone. Guess nothing I can do knowing the battery is only going to get worse. Really miss the replaceable battery phones.
    If it happened to both devices, perhaps it's something you're doing. Don't forget, lithium ion batteries are healthiest when you keep the charge between 50 and 80%. Small charges during the day extend the life of the battery significantly over full cycling.
    03-26-17 08:01 PM
    If it happened to both devices, perhaps it's something you're doing. Don't forget, lithium ion batteries are healthiest when you keep the charge between 50 and 80%. Small charges during the day extend the life of the battery significantly over full cycling.
    Thanks Conite. Anyone know if the Priv battery can be replaced by a phone tech savy person?
    03-26-17 08:06 PM
    Thanks Conite. Anyone know if the Priv battery can be replaced by a phone tech savy person?
    Tearing down the Priv is fairly straightforward.
    03-26-17 08:14 PM
    I'm still getting regular app updates and even from Verizon the monthly security updates have been rolled out regularly since we got marshmallow
    It's Android, manufacturer support will dry up long before app updates. If the Priv makes it to 2018 with OS updates it would be par for the course for the average Android phone.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-26-17 08:18 PM
    Even if it's apparent that BlackBerry is throwing those who bought their Android phones in front of a bus, Android support isn't just going away. People with other phones running 4.4 are still fine.

Google only recently dropped support for Gingerbread (2.3).
    03-26-17 09:11 PM
    Even if it's apparent that BlackBerry is throwing those who bought their Android phones in front of a bus, Android support isn't just going away. People with other phones running 4.4 are still fine.

Google only recently dropped support for Gingerbread (2.3).
    And Tegra2 processors
    03-26-17 10:21 PM
    03-26-17 10:28 PM
    It's Android, manufacturer support will dry up long before app updates. If the Priv makes it to 2018 with OS updates it would be par for the course for the average Android phone.
    True and I understand that. Just chiming in because I took it from the op that they weren't getting updates. Several threads here about nougat on the priv. I suppose it might happen but I think as old as this phone is it is very likely marshmallow will be where we stop. Doesn't mean the phone won't work for a good long time. It could become a problem for apps working at some point but I'd wager people will have replaced their phones before that happens in most cases
    03-27-17 06:14 AM
    As much as I love my Priv, I have seen a sharp Support drop to the Priv the last few months. The monthly updates drag and the fixes for the apps never happen that makes me wonder if we are seeing the end of Priv.

How many still think the Priv will live for another year and what do you think about software and app Support to the Priv will be in the coming days. Share your views.
    Hey raj1802

I cant speak for anyone else, but I've been getting the Monthly security patches every month without fail and the Apps seems to be updated fairly often. Maybe 2 times a month?. So it doesn't feel like support is being dropped at all The Priv will hopefully be getting Nougat next month which should end all worries about support. Blackberry seem very committed to me and i don't think they are going to default on their promise when it comes to security patches. Especially since they as promoting 'most secure smartphone'
    03-27-17 06:23 AM
    Support as in what exactly?

Where are you located where you aren't getting the monthly updates? I still get mine on a monthly basis.

I don't know what the future hold for the Priv. It's coming on two years since release. I wouldn't be surprised for one more major software update and that's it.
    I do get monthly updates. Though not at the beginning and not as early as it was as before. I do get the app updates too. I am in the beta and there are certain bugs in the apps, like the all capital font messages maintains by default when composing a msg and there are a ton of other issues user have been reporting that is not addressed or even discussed in the forum.

I am seeing a decrease in the communications from BlackBerry with regard to Android N to the Priv and hence starred this post to see how others feel.
    Last edited by raj1802; 03-27-17 at 07:05 PM.
    03-27-17 06:29 AM
    That is exactly what I meant by the updates being a drag. The last few updates have all been delayed for me like you.
    03-27-17 06:30 AM
    Hey raj1802

I cant speak for anyone else, but I've been getting the Monthly security patches every month without fail and the Apps seems to be updated fairly often. Maybe 2 times a month?. So it doesn't feel like support is being dropped at all The Priv will hopefully be getting Nougat next month which should end all worries about support. Blackberry seem very committed to me and i don't think they are going to default on their promise when it comes to security patches. Especially since they as promoting 'most secure smartphone'
    I hope we get N. I do get the monthly updates and app updates, but N should solve most of the sluggishness and issues we have with the Priv and BlackBerry is silent on N for so long. Makes me wonder we stopped at M.
    03-27-17 08:31 AM
    I hope we get N. I do get the monthly updates and app updates, but N should solve most of the sluggishness and issues we have with the Priv and BlackBerry is silent on N for so long. Makes me wonder we stopped at M.
    N won't solve anything in particular. The problem was with the 808 SoC.

Keeping the app cache below 1 gigabyte, and increasing the animation speeds, have kept my Priv running quite smoothly.
    Rico4you likes this.
    03-27-17 08:38 AM
    Hello not quite understand your doubts. The PRIV from day one has been updated constantly with monthly security updates, actual app updates and new apps avaible. With regards to Nougate there are 2 devices with it Re Aurora and KEYone. We are now pending release of KEYone. After that have no doubt PRIV will receive Nougat. Although no official confirmation. My PRIV is running perfect and in no rush for N. When it comes then fine considering that with the PKB and security BlackBerry has to adapt.
    03-27-17 10:34 AM
    Hello not quite understand your doubts. The PRIV from day one has been updated constantly with monthly security updates, actual app updates and new apps avaible. With regards to Nougate there are 2 devices with it Re Aurora and KEYone. We are now pending release of KEYone. After that have no doubt PRIV will receive Nougat. Although no official confirmation. My PRIV is running perfect and in no rush for N. When it comes then fine considering that with the PKB and security BlackBerry has to adapt.
    My question is how far will BlackBerry Support with OS updates and other bug fixes. I got my answer as there seem to be a msg from BlackBerry that they stopping Device support and are directing Support to Crackberry. We might not get N looking at how BlackBerry has been avoiding questions about Priv OS Support.

PSA: BlackBerry Support Community Forums now directing users to CrackBerry

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...berry-1103911/
    Last edited by raj1802; 03-27-17 at 07:11 PM.
    03-27-17 06:58 PM
    N won't solve anything in particular. The problem was with the 808 SoC.

Keeping the app cache below 1 gigabyte, and increasing the animation speeds, have kept my Priv running quite smoothly.
    Other 808 devices not suffering from the heating and slow down and memory leak problems some of us see with the Priv.
    03-27-17 07:08 PM
    Other 808 devices not suffering from the heating and slow down and memory leak problems some of us see with the Priv.
    I don't see that on my Priv either.

But there is no question that the Blackberry software is generally better optimised for the DTEKs.

DTEK60 / Z30
    03-27-17 07:24 PM
    I don't see that on my Priv either.

But there is no question that the Blackberry software is generally better optimised for the DTEKs.

DTEK60 / Z30
    I think so too.
    03-27-17 07:29 PM
    My question is how far will BlackBerry Support with OS updates and other bug fixes. I got my answer as there seem to be a msg from BlackBerry that they stopping Device support and are directing Support to Crackberry. We might not get N looking at how BlackBerry has been avoiding questions about Priv OS Support.

PSA: BlackBerry Support Community Forums now directing users to CrackBerry

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...berry-1103911/
    That may be true and I'm not surprised if the priv doesn't get nougat. Been saying that. However, when the Verizon marshmallow update was available and I hadn't seen it yet, I called Verizon and they denoted it. Told me to call BlackBerry. I called BlackBerry and was told they no longer supported the priv and I wouldn't be getting marshmallow. Advised them that I read it here and people on Verizon were already getting it. After about 45 Minutes of being on hold the BlackBerry rep came back and apologized and told me I'd taught him something lol. I guess I'm saying sometimes the BlackBerry reps are just as clueless as the carrier reps. Sometimes you do learn more about what's up right here
    03-28-17 09:22 AM
    Like before in the other threads, people have brought up the forum as an end to support. It just means they don't want to run a forum and waste money that majority of people do not use anyway and those that do go online for that, goes to CrackBerry for it anyway. That is all that is.

If the horse is finding his own water even when you put one out for it, at some point you will stop putting out water.
    03-28-17 10:02 AM
26 12