I'm wondering about the setting on my BlackBerry to encrypt the data. What is the reason not to? And what is the real life advantage to encrypting? Since if someone gets my phone and somehow gets past my device password all the data can be shared anyway.??? I realize there are some risks using yahoo email for example but will those risks be minimized by having my BlackBerry encrypted? Someone who knows better just help me out. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 11:14 AM
    There is no good reason not to. Full-device encryption is a beautiful thing. So long as your password is sufficiently complex, it'll serve as an effective barrier. Remember, BlackBerrys don't allow more than ten incorrect password attempts before they start self-destructing.

Go ahead and encrypt your BlackBerry. What this will do for you is protect your data in the event you lose access to your device - if it's lost or stolen or seized. If it's taken from you at the border, for example, the contents - files, emails, pictures, videos, whatever - will be inaccessible to the authorities. Be sure your device locks itself after a short period of inactivity.

You're correct that encrypting your BlackBerry will not make your messages stored on Yahoo's servers safer from prying eyes. But any local copy of anything stored on your BB will be better protected if you encrypt. Do it.
    gmr1987 likes this.
    01-31-15 05:53 PM
    So how is it better in practicality than just having a good device password?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 06:03 PM
    If you choose to encrypt your SD card too, just be careful. If you security wipe your device or run an autoloader before you decrypt, you will not be able to access your SD card anymore. I see good reasons to secure an SD card if you store sensitive information on it.

Police in many jurisdictions cannot search a phone that is encrypted without a warrant, where they can otherwise.

I can't think of a use case for encrypting the device itself since you can't access the device without a password (even from a PC), and the device will wipe itself if you enter the password wrong 10 times.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2072
    Last edited by conite; 01-31-15 at 06:29 PM.
    01-31-15 06:07 PM