Home CrackBerry Q&A > Ask a Question

Email syncing problem - it's now total! What can I do?

Asked: Jun 20 2019 | 10:50 am EDT 788 Views 12 Answers

About 2 years ago, my Blackberry stopped syncing with my AOL email account. I tried everything including deleting and reinstalling the account but nothing worked. The technician at the o2 shop where I bought the device in 2013 finally told me that AOL had stopped co-operating with Blackberry ( something about security protocols) and there was nothing I could do. So, I ditched AOL and transferred my email to Yahoo and Google. As of February, these accounts have also ceased to work or be synced with the device. I am assured it is not Blackberry's fault. Of course there's no way of asking anybody at Backberry about this. So I decided to join your nice forum instead.
My question is simple - if I cannot send and receive email on my Blackberry 9900 3G phone, what is the point of my keeping it? Or is there some simple fix to sort the problem. I am not au fait with phone jargon and am something of a technophobe being 70 years of age so please write in simple English with easy steps if there is a possible easy fix for this problem. If not, your advice to just ditch the device would also be welcome.
I still like this phone because it has a QWERTY keyboard and would like to keep it if at all possible.
Thank you!

More Answers

Jun 20 2019 | 3:38 pm EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

Welcome...

Hopefully someone with some BBOS experience comes along... a lot fewer these days. Was a Group from this thread https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ut-bis-996682/ trying to keep BBOS alive. But even they seemed to have give up...

In my day the BIS Email was handled via a web portal, it came in very handy. But BIS compatible with email services has been declining and even the options outside of BIS have been hit hard by the outdated software and standards.

I hope someone can help you, but in my view at the end of the year the BIS service is also going away so.... it's time to get a new phone.

Key2 or a Key 2 LE can provide you with the PKB experience...

(just not sure about AOL or Yahoo at this point.... both have seen their better days.) outlook.com free or paid version would be my suggestion.

Jun 20 2019 | 11:53 pm EDT TrumpetTiger

About 2 years ago, my Blackberry stopped syncing with my AOL email account. I tried everything including deleting and reinstalling the account but nothing worked. The technician at the o2 shop where I bought the device in 2013 finally told me that AOL had stopped co-operating with Blackberry ( something about security protocols) and there was nothing I could do. So, I ditched AOL and transferred my email to Yahoo and Google. As of February, these accounts have also ceased to work or be synced with the device. I am assured it is not Blackberry's fault. Of course there's no way of asking anybody at Backberry about this. So I decided to join your nice forum instead.
My question is simple - if I cannot send and receive email on my Blackberry 9900 3G phone, what is the point of my keeping it? Or is there some simple fix to sort the problem. I am not au fait with phone jargon and am something of a technophobe being 70 years of age so please write in simple English with easy steps if there is a possible easy fix for this problem. If not, your advice to just ditch the device would also be welcome.
I still like this phone because it has a QWERTY keyboard and would like to keep it if at all possible.
Thank you!
Hello Brendan,

First, welcome to Crackberry! There are still some of us supporting BBOS (Blackberry OS--what your Blackberry 9900 runs) as well as Blackberry 10 (Blackberry's modern OS, which is what phones such as the Blackberry Classic and Blackberry Passport run). Let's see if we can get everything fixed.

First question: do you need cellular connectivity on whatever device you use or would just being able to use it over Wi-Fi be okay?

(Bear with me on the questions; there are a number of options and I want to make sure to effectively communicate with you.)

Jun 21 2019 | 12:04 am EDT Brendan Carroll1

Hi there - thanks for your answer and offering to help me. I am replying to you via my PC, not on my phone (it's easier). I rarely use the browser on the Blackberry because I only have 3G and the Wi-fi coverage where I live is very poor. Does that answer your question?

Jun 21 2019 | 12:36 am EDT TrumpetTiger

Hi there - thanks for your answer and offering to help me. I am replying to you via my PC, not on my phone (it's easier). I rarely use the browser on the Blackberry because I only have 3G and the Wi-fi coverage where I live is very poor. Does that answer your question?
I think so Brendan. You mainly want your device for e-mail, calls, and texting and have poor Wi-Fi, so the cellular connection is all you have.

Do you know whether 4G is available in your area or not?

Posted via CB10

Jun 21 2019 | 1:24 am EDT Brendan Carroll1

Hello again - no, 4g is not available in my area, O2 is dreadful and I am actually thinking of changing provider. But I do not think anyone offers 4G here. All I really want is to be able to get emails on the blackberry. It now only works for texting and fairly poor browsing.

Jun 21 2019 | 2:55 pm EDT TrumpetTiger

Hello again - no, 4g is not available in my area, O2 is dreadful and I am actually thinking of changing provider. But I do not think anyone offers 4G here. All I really want is to be able to get emails on the blackberry. It now only works for texting and fairly poor browsing.
Hmmm....it sounds to me like you really have two options Brendan:

1. Keep your existing 9900, and then make sure that your provider (O2 or whoever else) supports Blackberry Internet Service (otherwise known as BIS--it's how the older BBOS devices connect to the Internet via cellular connections). This has the benefit of keeping a familiar device, but the downside that, as you've seen, it becomes harder and harder to sync e-mail due to the age of the OS.

2. Upgrade to a Blackberry 10 device such as the Blackberry Classic. The Classic retains the look and feel of the 9900, though it is a little bigger and Blackberry 10 is a different OS with a different layout. BB10 is older as well, but uses industry-standard protocols so that you should be able to get your e-mail for some time to come.

Another option that may be suggested by others on this thread is going to an Android-based phone such as the KeyOne or KeyTwo. Dunt Dunt Dunt alluded to this above. I would argue that this is not a good option for you as those devices are much larger and Android as a whole is a much more complicated OS that is overkill for what you really need.

Please let me know if there's anything I can further clarify or anything else I can do to help. We'll get you through this and find something that works for you.

Jun 21 2019 | 4:16 pm EDT Brendan Carroll1

Hello again! I really apreciate your advice and I shall look into getting a Blackberry 10. My problem will be finding a supplier. O2 told me they no longer sell Blackberry phones at all. Anyway, if it would solve my problem, it's worth exploring options. The options suggested by DUNT DUNT DUNT seem a bit too advanced for me......! I shall let you know how I get on. Cheers!

Jun 21 2019 | 6:53 pm EDT Chuck Finley69

Hello again! I really apreciate your advice and I shall look into getting a Blackberry 10. My problem will be finding a supplier. O2 told me they no longer sell Blackberry phones at all. Anyway, if it would solve my problem, it's worth exploring options. The options suggested by DUNT DUNT DUNT seem a bit too advanced for me......! I shall let you know how I get on. Cheers!
At this point, the only BlackBerry phones sold new especially by carriers would be Android models. For BB10 models, the Classic or Q10 should be available via Amazon or EBay UK sites or additional equivalents that you may be familiar with.

The main difference is Q10 is older, no tool belt and removable battery. The Classic is about 18-24 months later in lifecycle, professional replaceable battery and has the familiar tool belt.

Jun 22 2019 | 12:31 am EDT Brendan Carroll1

Thank you Chuck. I have found a Blackberry Q10 on Amazon for just £40 which seems a real bargain! If I buy this, can I just simply take the SIMcard out of my old 9900 and put it in... or do I need to visit the o2 shop or maybe download something? It is YEARS since I upgraded my phone and have a sim-only account sso have forgotten how this works.

Jun 22 2019 | 5:01 am EDT Chuck Finley69

Thank you Chuck. I have found a Blackberry Q10 on Amazon for just £40 which seems a real bargain! If I buy this, can I just simply take the SIMcard out of my old 9900 and put it in... or do I need to visit the o2 shop or maybe download something? It is YEARS since I upgraded my phone and have a sim-only account sso have forgotten how this works.
The SIM card may be a different size, but even if not, I always suggest a new SIM card for any new technology on SIM card. I’d visit the O2 shop for this and to make sure the swap over has no issues.

Jun 24 2019 | 12:35 am EDT TrumpetTiger

Thank you Chuck! That's what I shall do!
Looks like we're good here Brendan; just be aware that the Q10 doesn't have the "toolbelt" (the buttons across the bottom of the screen) that the 9900 does while the Classic does have those buttons. Either one would be fine; just wanted you to set your expectations accordingly.

Let us know if you have any issues setting up the new phone; we BB10 folk (plus occasionally Chuck) will be happy to help.

Posted via CB10