Does the DTEK software included with the BlackBerry Android phones allow you to block all the Google apps that come preinstalled from collecting your data? I don't need Google collecting the contents of my photos, texts, location, music lists, emails, etc...
    06-29-17 11:45 PM
    1. DTEK doesn't block anything, it only monitors.

2. Android's built-in permission controls are what you'd use.

3. You're being a bit too worried about Google's reach. Not unfounded, but still beyond the current reality.

Don't want them to have your photos? Don't use Google Photos. I use an AOSP (or was it Cyanogenmod?) Gallery app because I don't need the extra bells and whistles.

Texts? I'm pretty sure they don't leave the device unless you back it up with a third-party app manually.

Location? Turn off location services, make it GPS only, turn off location history...

Music lists? Nope.

Emails? Don't use Gmail, easy.
    Other PIM stuff? Don't sync with them. I use Outlook.com, the next guy might sync with Office 365, etc.
    06-30-17 12:44 AM
    You can not block Google completely. You can only limit its reach. If, for instance, you disable location and you connect to a wireless network Google will still be able to find out where you are, it will actively scan the network to discover other devices and will send all the data to its servers.
    You can not use an android phone without the big brother Google watching over your shoulder. The blackdriod thingy is only triyng to protect you from third party snoopers.
    06-30-17 04:41 AM
    1. DTEK doesn't block anything, it only monitors.

2. Android's built-in permission controls are what you'd use.

3. You're being a bit too worried about Google's reach. Not unfounded, but still beyond the current reality.
    4. Default apps (Google/BB) aren't monitored.
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    06-30-17 09:18 AM
    4. Default apps (Google/BB) aren't monitored.
    5. Camera access isn't monitored.
    06-30-17 09:21 AM
    Does the DTEK software included with the BlackBerry Android phones allow you to block all the Google apps that come preinstalled from collecting your data? I don't need Google collecting the contents of my photos, texts, location, music lists, emails, etc...
    BBRY and Blackberry Mobile are basically serfs on their bellies in front of King Google. If they tried to make a phone that out of the box allowed you to prevent the relevant Google services collecting data - they will never be allowed to sell it.
    07-01-17 03:51 PM