Hi Bla1ze,

Has Google already announced when they will stop creating security updates for Android Marshmallow or they haven't said yet?
    10-17-17 02:26 PM
    "Sometime next spring or summer" I heard.
    10-17-17 03:05 PM
    Not sure I've ever seen a life cycle on the OS.... Generally it's on devices. Many devices released with Marshmallow are nearing their end. Google devices last longer and the Nexus 6P which launched with Marshmallow in 2015, has an end of security patches for Sept 2018.

Not sure how that works though.... as the Nexus 6P get OREO. So maybe next Sept, the Nexus stops getting updates regardless of the OS it's running?

I expect we will just have to wait to see what happens to the PRIV and DTEKs....
    10-17-17 03:06 PM
    "Sometime next spring or summer" I heard.
    As in like, Spring or Summer 2018 right?
    10-17-17 03:17 PM
    As in like, Spring or Summer 2018 right?
    Yes.
    10-17-17 03:19 PM
    Not sure I've ever seen a life cycle on the OS.... Generally it's on devices. Many devices released with Marshmallow are nearing their end. Google devices last longer and the Nexus 6P which launched with Marshmallow in 2015, has an end of security patches for Sept 2018.

Not sure how that works though.... as the Nexus 6P get OREO. So maybe next Sept, the Nexus stops getting updates regardless of the OS it's running?

I expect we will just have to wait to see what happens to the PRIV and DTEKs....
    They've already revised the 5x and 6P to Nov 2018 so it will change again, anything huge like the KRACK vulnerability will get patched even if official guaranteed support has ended. For example the Nexus 6 official security support ended with the Oct 2017 update but they'll have to push another one for KRACK.

Unless TCL/BB Mobile want to be a joke they'll follow the same path.
    10-17-17 06:43 PM
    New Priv's are being sold on Amazon with Marshmallow, I presume. It is hard for me to believe that Blackberry would allow new phones to be sold after support, updates and security patches have ended. That is especially troubling since BB now wants to be the provider of the most secure mobile communications. Abandoning products that were advertised with security as the primary benefit looks to me like Fraud.
    10-21-17 10:19 AM
    Google still updates AOSP every security bulletin going back to 4.4.4, I think Marshmallow has some time left on Google's end.

Whether or not BlackBerry is up for it is the question.
    unichips likes this.
    10-21-17 12:11 PM
    New Priv's are being sold on Amazon with Marshmallow, I presume. It is hard for me to believe that Blackberry would allow new phones to be sold after support, updates and security patches have ended. That is especially troubling since BB now wants to be the provider of the most secure mobile communications. Abandoning products that were advertised with security as the primary benefit looks to me like Fraud.
    New devices still came with Lollipop, although the minute you turn it on the update to Marshmallow pops up.
    10-21-17 12:33 PM
    Google still updates AOSP every security bulletin going back to 4.4.4, I think Marshmallow has some time left on Google's end.

Whether or not BlackBerry is up for it is the question.
    Yea, I just saw that on one of Google Android's web pages the other day. That makes me feel a little better that they're still supporting 4.4.4 with security updates if manufacturers need it. Hopefully such support will continue.
    10-21-17 05:28 PM