Hey,

I got quite an Issue here, im about to buy a priv, but Id much more love to buy a passport, as its buildquality, Design and almost everything else looks and feels way better.

So here is my question and I think this might be the best place to ask this:

Will there definitly be any way (preferly via apk) to continue using Whatsapp on a BB10 Device, such as the passport, aftet the extended Support period by june 2017?

Please, I love this device and its a shame that its all depending on stupid whatsapp groups I need for my everyday life.

Many greetings from Germany
    Felix
    01-12-17 07:33 AM
    There is simply no way to know right now... If WhatsApp is a NEED, then plan on replacing your phone, sooner rather than later.

At best you could try the Android version (if it will work with whatever server side changes they make). But that's not a very good solution, if it will work.

But until it happens... the definitive answer is WhatsApp won't officially work on BB10 or BBOS powered phones.
    01-12-17 08:15 AM
    Hey its me again, I just registered.

Many thanks for your answer, not too happy to hear this.

Ok so to summarize what ive read so far:

-There will no native WhatsApp support by the end of 6/17
    -You can still install WhatsApp via the amazone appstore or an APK from the internet, but possibly not be able to send/receive media (only via web-app in the opera browser) and you will not see messages in the bb-hub (a notification will still be there)
    -This APK will run on some sort of android emulator thats using android 4.3, in a way maybe compareable to running an old programm on windows xp compatiblity mode (??????)
    -The WhatsApp support for Android 4.3 should still last at least a few years

is that correct?

So it will be sommmeee sort of future-safe for at least 2 years to be able to at a minimum receive textmessages via the APK?
    You see I really wana buy this passport as it flippin rocks, just had it in my hands in a local store and im so in love, what a pity.

Greetings!
    01-12-17 10:19 AM
    We are only eleven (11) days into the six month extension that Whatsapp Developer's decided in the 11th hour. Your question is about five months premature.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    01-12-17 01:39 PM
    Well all I can do is playing poker then right?

The problem is, i really want this phone now, not the priv, not the mercury
    Was hoping for something like a potential forecast, or technical information, sure nobody knows.
    But thanks anyways.

But I am wondering how big the chance is, that the workaround witht he APK in the Android 4.3 runtime will still work for a longer time?
    01-12-17 01:58 PM
    Why dont u use it untill then and then buy priv after whatsapp stops working in ur bb10. Maybe mercury would appeal you more. Why u worried about something which may or maynot happen after 5 half months?
    I am sticking onto my ppse until it stops working.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2049
    01-12-17 03:20 PM
    Because I havent bought it yet and have limited finencial assets
    01-12-17 06:50 PM
    Well all I can do is playing poker then right?

The problem is, i really want this phone now, not the priv, not the mercury
    Was hoping for something like a potential forecast, or technical information, sure nobody knows.
    But thanks anyways.

But I am wondering how big the chance is, that the workaround witht he APK in the Android 4.3 runtime will still work for a longer time?
    I read your post with great interest, until Last year I was really happy with my Z30, then they started to phase out facebook first, WhatsApp second. I felt the difference more with fb than with WhatsApp, and I had to solve the problem:
    - buying an android phone to keep in touch with persons with fb (at first a Samsung, then a DTEK 50);
    - using on my Z30 a compatible Android fb messenger and a compatible Android facebook, this Last one is rather slow and clumsy;
    As for WhatsApp I have downloaded Android versions and I am waiting for the native version to expire to set up the other. I will be using this phone as long as it lasts, however, for its good properties for working uses, fast and intuitive e-mail composition, enough space to file documents, etc. My advice is to buy the passport associated to a cheap Android device (many chinese phones can be bought now for 80-100 €) for social use. The only drawback is to run two different contacts, but this depends on single persons' conditions and status, another solution might be a cheap tablet

From my awesome Z30
    01-13-17 01:36 AM
    The bottom line is no one outside of WhatApp knows what will happen in six months. They extended the life of all their older clients by six months not just BB10. Who knows what will happen in six months. My guess is WhatApp will have a major update on all of their clients. They will also make sure no 3rd party API works. Will the new Android app require an android version higher than 4.3? No one knows who is talking. I can only guess that they are planning a major overhaul of the support apps. The overhaul has been delayed six months so they gave all the older clients a reprieve. Anyone who says something definite that does not work for WhatApp is just guessing what will happen.
    01-13-17 06:58 PM
    If you have limited funds, then spend it wisely. Perhaps go for the DTEK50? It'll definitely run WhatsApp and you won't have to worry about silly workarounds/patches in order for it to function decently.
    01-14-17 12:16 AM
    I am talking about using whatsapp in ur BB10 untill june and then decide. I am pretty much sure, by june one or the other blackdroid phones will be fitting perfectly inside ur financial planning!

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2049
    01-14-17 08:06 AM
    this is weird, as we know whatsapp extended their support until June 17 for BB10. i am using Z10 right now but today i could not open the app with the error (on the big screen with WhatsApp logo) "Unfortunately, WhatsApp no longer supports this phone. Please switch to supported phone."
    there is no "OK" button, only "learn more" and this button is redirected to a webpage.
    *heartattack
    01-17-17 10:47 PM
    this is weird, as we know whatsapp extended their support until June 17 for BB10. i am using Z10 right now but today i could not open the app with the error (on the big screen with WhatsApp logo) "Unfortunately, WhatsApp no longer supports this phone. Please switch to supported phone."
    there is no "OK" button, only "learn more" and this button is redirected to a webpage.
    *heartattack
    Just head to BlackBerry World and update whatsapp.
    After that you are good to go.

Nothing like my SE.
    hnr7786 likes this.
    01-17-17 10:56 PM
    Just head to BlackBerry World and update whatsapp.
    After that you are good to go.

Nothing like my SE.
    you sir, are crackberry genius and life saver...
    01-17-17 11:11 PM
    What you could do is run Whatsapp on a cheap Android and buy your Passport, that is, if you can manage walking around with 2 phones all the time. You don't need to a sim card to activate in the Android but you do need WiFi. If you can manage only using whatsapp only when around wifi, I think that the most concrete solution. Just Google how to activate whatsapp without a sim card to find how to do it

Still rocking the QWERTY BB10 OS....
    01-18-17 07:56 AM
    you sir, are crackberry genius and life saver...
    None of the above, but thank you.
    Just glad to help.

Nothing like my SE.
    01-19-17 01:09 AM