I'm looking to unlock a phone, but am concerned about disclosing the imei to a unlocking service. unfortunately unlocking from the carier is not much of an option as I don't have active line w them. Is it dangerous to disclose IMEI?
    03-31-15 02:54 PM
    You have 2 choices. Provide them the IMEI, or continue to use a device that is carrier locked. Your choice.
    03-31-15 03:26 PM
    Unlocking services almost always ask for IMEIs. If you don't trust this particular service, don't give them your IMEI# and move on to the next unlocker.

Also, if you're in the US, do try your carrier again. Post February 11th, they have agreed to unlock former/non-customers' phones. There's a provision for a fee, but I haven't heard of anyone being charged yet.

On a side note, there's a quasi-'policy' at CB to edit out posts where people post their IMEIs. But a little while back, a mod went on a rant about having to deal with such reported posts, and that it doesn't matter if the IMEI is put in a post. But even since then, I've seen posts being edited by mods.
    03-31-15 07:53 PM