What do you all think? Could the BlackBerry Privacy Shade be an easy way to save on battery power by effectively dimming most of the screen?
    We all know that the main battery power consumer is the beautiful screen on our phones. Sometimes to save power some apps or even the OS have turned down overall brightness of the screen.
    The Privacy Shade dims the whole screen way down except for that small area you need to focus on.
    Would or wouldn't this save power? Is it significant enough of a power savings?
    05-31-18 11:06 AM
    If the display were AMOLED... it might

With LCD it won't save anything.
    05-31-18 11:15 AM
    If the display were AMOLED... it might

With LCD it won't save anything.
    Thanks. {sad} Good point about the AMOLED screens.
    But shouldn't keeping your screen brightness under 100% save some power? It seems when I use my phone all day with 100% brightness, the battery drains more quickly (though there may be other factors since I use that setting for video streaming). Just makes you think.....hmmmmm..
    05-31-18 11:24 AM
    Thanks. {sad} Good point about the AMOLED screens.
    But shouldn't keeping your screen brightness under 100% save some power? It seems when I use my phone all day with 100% brightness, the battery drains more quickly (though there may be other factors since I use that setting for video streaming). Just makes you think.....hmmmmm..
    Does Privacy Shade dim the whole panel or just shade portions of it. I didn't find it too useful so I deleted it.

Your not going to be streaming and using Privacy Shade too are you....
    05-31-18 11:45 AM
    Does Privacy Shade dim the whole panel or just shade portions of it. I didn't find it too useful so I deleted it.

Your not going to be streaming and using Privacy Shade too are you....
    Ha! The KeyOne isn't the biggest screen out there. So when I do run videos on it I have it full screen and maximum brightness.

Privacy Shade shades the entire screen except for the rectangular or circular area that you are working on. So if you're using BBM for example, you can just have the message box lit, but the rest of your conversation history dimmed out. You can still make out what was said, but someone looking over your shoulder or at an angle would be at a disadvantage.
    05-31-18 01:31 PM
    Ha! The KeyOne isn't the biggest screen out there. So when I do run videos on it I have it full screen and maximum brightness.

Privacy Shade shades the entire screen except for the rectangular or circular area that you are working on. So if you're using BBM for example, you can just have the message box lit, but the rest of your conversation history dimmed out. You can still make out what was said, but someone looking over your shoulder or at an angle would be at a disadvantage.
    From memory... Privacy Shade didn't "dim" the actual panel just shaded everything but the small bar visible bar. I doubt anyone makes a smartphone LCD display with individual backlight dimming capabilities for different sections.. You see that in more expensive large TVs, but not tiny smartphones. I think dimming is an all or none capability.

You could probable use it an a dark room and be able to see that overall the backlighting "brightness" isn't changing, just the colors.
    05-31-18 02:01 PM
    From memory... Privacy Shade didn't "dim" the actual panel just shaded everything but the small bar visible bar. I doubt anyone makes a smartphone LCD display with individual backlight dimming capabilities for different sections.. You see that in more expensive large TVs, but not tiny smartphones. I think dimming is an all or none capability.

You could probable use it an a dark room and be able to see that overall the backlighting "brightness" isn't changing, just the colors.
    Yeah, you are probably right. Oh well.
    05-31-18 02:37 PM