It took a while, but I finally had a well organized contact list on my BB10 phones.
    After about 6 months on Android, I am getting more and more confused.
    I did a device switch from my Z30. Got my 1400 contacts on the Dtek. As there is no good way to back them up on the computer, I synced the phone and my Google account. I do like that this allows it to sync to my Dtek50. (It took me a while to be brave enough to do that).
    So now I have duplicates. But if I update a local contact, I also have to manually update it on Google, or visa versa.
    When I add a new contact, should I save it as local, Google, or both?
    When I search for a contact, and I see multiple entries, how do I know which are local and which are Google? I think local ones have a black circle, the others are colored. How is the color chosen? There can be one black, one green, one orange - all the same contact.
    Should I delete ALL my local contacts and only use Google? With so many contacts, do I have to check each one to be sure the one I'm deleting isn't the most updated one?
    In my car (a Ford with Sync3), if I use a voice command to call someone, it might give me 4 choices, all the same, and I have to pick one. I don't know what to delete from my phone to stop this.
    Sorry for the long post, but it's giving me a headache, and CrackBerry has usually been the cure!!

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    11-04-17 05:18 PM
    You want all your contacts in Gmail so they are always backed up and can easily be transferred to a new device.

I suggest you log into you Google account through the web browser on another device and compare those to your local phone contacts and make any necessary updates to Google.

Then delete all your local contacts and make sure any future contacts are only added to Google.
    OTCHRussell likes this.
    11-04-17 11:02 PM
    Thanks. will do that.
    11-04-17 11:32 PM
    so I logged in to my Google account on my PC and can't find my contacts. feeling stupid!!
    11-05-17 01:20 PM
    On the left, above your Inbox label, there should be a box which says Mail. Click that box, and you should see a dropdown that allows you to change it to Contacts. Do the same thing to go back to Mail. (I agree that a simple text link would have been more intuitive, but design over function seems to be the style these days.)

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.3.2.2813
    11-05-17 02:07 PM
    I am registered with Google with my AT&T email address. I don't have a Gmail address. do I have to set one up? would rather not.
    11-05-17 02:25 PM
    OK. I finally figured it out. I had to create a Gmail account first. Then the mail and contacts button came up. I had to get rid of about 600 duplicates. Then I added my new Gmail account to my phone. gradually the contacts are coming into that account on my 2 Dteks.
    once I am sure they are all there, I will delete the local contacts. I might leave them on the Dtek50 (SIMless) - just in case!!
    Thanks so much for your help. 😊
    11-05-17 09:02 PM
    Glad you you got it sorted out!

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.3.2.2813
    11-06-17 07:22 AM
    Actually, I'm GETTING it sorted out.
    after Google took over my contacts, my husband disappeared from all my accounts!! I searched and searched and couldn't find him. So I made a new contact for him. That disappeared too!!
    FINALLY I found him!! He was hiding in WhatsApp! Google had "helpfully" joined all his contacts together and listed them under WhatsApp!! Once I separated them, I had too many husbands LOL!!
    Now that I'm beginning to understand it, I can start straightening it out. Big job, but, again, thanks for coming to my rescue.

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    11-06-17 11:05 AM
    OK. I finally figured it out. I had to create a Gmail account first. Then the mail and contacts button came up. I had to get rid of about 600 duplicates. Then I added my new Gmail account to my phone. gradually the contacts are coming into that account on my 2 Dteks.
    once I am sure they are all there, I will delete the local contacts. I might leave them on the Dtek50 (SIMless) - just in case!!
    Thanks so much for your help. 😊
    Now that most of my contacts are on Google, other than deleting them one by one, I don't know how to delete my local contacts!! I have over 1200.
    11-11-17 07:46 AM