I used BlackBerry devices for nearly a decade, 2003–2012, most recently a Bold with a BIS plan.

I switched to an iPhone in 2012, and after seven years I still miss the physical keyboard and the simplicity of the BlackBerry OS. I’m also frustrated by how much attention and time I waste on my iPhone—apps, web browsing, YouTube, etc. I never had this problem with my BlackBerry.

Ergo, I’d like to switch back to a BlackBerry, but I don’t want an Android phone. Is it still feasible, in 2019, to use a non-Android BlackBerry with a full keyboard?

If so, which models? (I live in the United States, Verizon is my carrier.) I need the device only for phone calls, SMS, Google Maps, notes, email, Uber, and perhaps occasional in-a-pinch web browsing.

Would you please point me in the right direction?
    04-20-19 09:59 AM
    Passport is probably the only PKB device you can get new still. You won't have Uber and getting Gmaps to work will be a hassle.
    04-20-19 11:04 AM
    Passport is probably the only PKB device you can get new still. You won't have Uber and getting Gmaps to work will be a hassle.
    There is no Passport for Verizon.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    04-20-19 12:13 PM
    I used BlackBerry devices for nearly a decade, 2003–2012, most recently a Bold with a BIS plan.

I switched to an iPhone in 2012, and after seven years I still miss the physical keyboard and the simplicity of the BlackBerry OS. I’m also frustrated by how much attention and time I waste on my iPhone—apps, web browsing, YouTube, etc. I never had this problem with my BlackBerry.

Ergo, I’d like to switch back to a BlackBerry, but I don’t want an Android phone. Is it still feasible, in 2019, to use a non-Android BlackBerry with a full keyboard?

If so, which models? (I live in the United States, Verizon is my carrier.) I need the device only for phone calls, SMS, Google Maps, notes, email, Uber, and perhaps occasional in-a-pinch web browsing.

Would you please point me in the right direction?
    You may not be able to get Verizon to activate a CDMA device anymore. The Classic and Q10 had them.
    04-20-19 12:14 PM
    If I purchase a “new” Verizon version of the BlackBerry Classic from a reputable seller on eBay, you don’t think they’ll activate it for me?

Also, any thoughts on an Uber workaround?

Thanks.
    04-20-19 12:46 PM
    If I purchase a “new” Verizon version of the BlackBerry Classic from a reputable seller on eBay, you don’t think they’ll activate it for me?

Also, any thoughts on an Uber workaround?

Thanks.
    They probably won't. But you should talk to a Rep to confirm.

You may have luck with the Uber mobile website.

Just be aware that BlackBerry World (the appstore) is closing at the end of this year, and BB10 is officially going EOL at the same time.
    04-20-19 01:15 PM
    They may not even activate a KEYone given the reliance on cdma. Good luck.
    04-20-19 01:20 PM
    They may not even activate a KEYone given the reliance on cdma. Good luck.
    Pardon my ignorance, but why wouldn’t they activate a BlackBerry Classic if it works on Verizon’s CDMA network?
    04-20-19 02:11 PM
    Pardon my ignorance, but why wouldn’t they activate a BlackBerry Classic if it works on Verizon’s CDMA network?
    As of July of last year, they no longer activate any devices that rely on CDMA for calls.
    jfm937 likes this.
    04-20-19 03:24 PM
    To further answer that question, Verizon is shutting down their CDMA network at the end of this year. That's why they stopped activating phones on that network.
    jfm937 likes this.
    04-20-19 05:05 PM
    If you push hard and nicely enough, they can do it. I have a Classic on Verizon and I used to have a Q10. I convinced them that all I really needed was a new SIM card, as the phone's innards were identical to the Q10's. It took me over an hour in person at a Verizon store but someone finally did it. In fact one sales guy told me not to give up and keep trying different customer reps until someone says ok.

You may not be able to get Verizon to activate a CDMA device anymore. The Classic and Q10 had them.

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    04-20-19 09:43 PM
    To further answer that question, Verizon is shutting down their CDMA network at the end of this year. That's why they stopped activating phones on that network.
    Ah ha! I didn’t realize they were shutting down the CDMA network. That makes sense.

So: if I really wanted to experiment with a Classic (or, gasp!, a 9900), I could switch to AT&T? Would that be my best bet? Something else?

Or, am I setting myself up for failure? I really want to give a non-Android BlackBerry a shot for a couple years, but I’m starting to feel like I’m trying to activate a Nextel i1000—a phone that simply won’t work in today’s world.
    04-21-19 09:13 AM
    There is no Passport for Verizon.
    Thanks for the correction
    04-21-19 10:54 AM
    @jfm937

Is switching carriers an option?
    04-21-19 10:57 AM
    Yes, that’s an option. If so, and I want a Classic or 9900, what would you recommend?
    04-21-19 04:42 PM
    Yes, that’s an option. If so, and I want a Classic or 9900, what would you recommend?
    Neither, but if you insist, Classic will get farther down the road on AT&T when 12/31/2019 gets here.
    04-21-19 07:28 PM
    Yeah, 3G is next on the chopping block by AT&T, but that's a little ways. BIS, which the 9900 relies on, will be among the BlackBerry services to go on Jan 2020, but phone calls and wi-fi will still work.

But the Classic should go a bit longer being an LTE phone.
    04-21-19 07:58 PM
    Well may not be right post but what does EOL mean in terms for me being new to BB10 as a business owner just 2 months now.... at 63 will my phone still be working, text, calls, browsing etc and if I ever can get apps or Google play to work would they continue? Thanks....
    04-21-19 11:59 PM
    How do you find a human to ask any Blackberry questions of Rep or Technical.... is there such a number? Thank you~
    04-22-19 12:07 AM
    How do you find a human to ask any Blackberry questions of Rep or Technical.... is there such a number? Thank you~

If about Smartphone... If a current phone, they direct you to BBMo. They do have a web from you can fill out for legacy devices. Go to BB and look under support and contact us > let us know how it goes.

But if you want a clear answer about the future of BBOS, and BB10... not sure they have one yet.
    Alexandras Roses likes this.
    04-22-19 07:15 AM
    do It, you wont Regret! key2 is phenomenal
    for me, huge advantages over iPhone:
    -Keyboard
    -Notification Led
    -split screen
    -speed Key
    -design
    and many more....
    04-22-19 07:17 AM
    Well may not be right post but what does EOL mean in terms for me being new to BB10 as a business owner just 2 months now.... at 63 will my phone still be working, text, calls, browsing etc and if I ever can get apps or Google play to work would they continue? Thanks....
    It means no BlackBerry World, and other services will continue to shut down after that.

Email and text should be OK for a while.

Android apps should still work for a bit, but with an Android Runtime stuck in 2013 (Android 4.3), it too will become useless.
    04-22-19 08:14 AM
    It means no BlackBerry World, and other services will continue to shut down after that.

Email and text should be OK for a while.

Android apps should still work for a bit, but with an Android Runtime stuck in 2013 (Android 4.3), it too will become useless.
    And, phone calls will continue to work as well.

Basically, if you can be happy with the provided apps, then you should be fine for a while.
    04-22-19 08:32 AM
    Sorry to pile-on to another's question... maybe I should post a new thread (I'm new here)? If so, please tell me and I will

I live in NE Iowa where the only decent wireless carrier for my area is US Cellular. I've been yearning for a Blackberry w/ a physical keyboard and am considering a K1 or K2. Would prefer K1 because of the lower cost but if a K2 would work better, I would look for that instead.

Excuse me because I am completely ignorant of the technology around mobile phones so I'm not sure which type (if any) would work on US Cellular network, K1 or K2, LTE, etc. Can someone please offer some advice? Verizon would be 2nd best option for coverage and AT&T next but neither are good.

Thanks in advance.
    04-22-19 03:37 PM
    Sorry to pile-on to another's question... maybe I should post a new thread (I'm new here)? If so, please tell me and I will

I live in NE Iowa where the only decent wireless carrier for my area is US Cellular. I've been yearning for a Blackberry w/ a physical keyboard and am considering a K1 or K2. Would prefer K1 because of the lower cost but if a K2 would work better, I would look for that instead.

Excuse me because I am completely ignorant of the technology around mobile phones so I'm not sure which type (if any) would work on US Cellular network, K1 or K2, LTE, etc. Can someone please offer some advice? Verizon would be 2nd best option for coverage and AT&T next but neither are good.

Thanks in advance.
    The KEY² LE (dual-SIM BBE100-5 model) would work on ANY network except for Sprint.

The KEY² LE (BBE100-2) is otherwise similar, but will not work (officially) with Verizon either.

The KEY² (BBF100-2) is similar to the latter KEY² model listed above.

Edit: I just re-read that you are with US Cellular. I'm not sure if they will activate a VoLTE-only device. Better call and find out.
    04-22-19 03:51 PM
30 12